Do not !!!!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
DO NOT flash 2.3.15 SBF for the new ota for any reason. It should be second nature that once you accept the ota you can not use sbf until the new sbf has been released.

Now would be a good time to update your device in other words flash a nandroid backup.

DO NOT flash 2.3.15 SBF for the new ota for any reason. It should be second nature that once you accept the ota you can not use sbf until the new sbf has been released.

Now would be a good time to update your device in other words flash a nandroid backup.

+1

But also note, that any backups made before the OTA update are virtually useless after the update.
It is recommended to simply delete those old backups once you update.

I really wish Moto would stop being douches about this and just unlock the bootloader already. We already have access to everything else thats proprietary.

MORE INFO:

the new update also updates the bootloader to 30.04 now. this only means you can use the full 2.3.32 sbf or the baseband, kernel, and system 2.3.34 sbf - both over at mydroidworld.

any errors with flashing the wrong sbf can be fixed with these two.

So if you update to 2.3.15 you can no longer use RSD Lite to flash the sbf for Android 2.1 (stock) ?

I just got a Droid X today and out of the box it is running: 2.3.151.MB810.Verizon.en.US

Does this mean I need to wait until someone releases a new sbf? Seems odd to me since I could always screw up my Droid beyond recognition and flash the same old sbf containing SPrecovery every time. I am getting the impression that the Droid X doesn't work this way?

There is a 2.3.15 SBF out there... Definitely do not flash 2.1. Verizon 2.3.15 obviously is stock. This thread was started to let users know that after receiving the latest update... 2.3.340... DO NOT flash 2.3.15 SBF.

Can you go into a little bit more detail about why you cannot flash the 2.3.15 after the 2.3.340 OTA.

I'm trying to understand why there are multiple sbf files circulating and how I am supposed to use them?

One of the sbf files I have is about 235 MB and it is supposed to be a "full" image. Is THAT sbf safe to flash at any time? it is supposed to be the original stock 2.1 image.

These updates are installing new bootloaders. If you attempt to install 2.1 you will brick it and have to SBF to 2.3.15. The SBF's say full... but... you have to be in bootloader to install an SBF. Therefore, you do not change the bootloader.... hence the crash if you load 2.1. 2.3.15 has a different bootloader from 2.3.340. Bootloader 30.04 is the latest.

I just received an OTA update from The Evil Empire (Motorola), and was very pleased that the presence of CWRecovery prevented that piece of malware from installing on my rooted Droid X. Thank you Kush & Cyanogen!! :)

-Mike

it's all about the bootloader with sbfs. My tutorial has been updated with information regarding 30.03 and 30.04 - as long as you read it and follow the instructions it's pretty hard to screw up flashing the wrong sbf file

Basic info:
30.03 bootloader - can take 2.2 sbf files and 2.3 sbf files
30.04 bootloader - can take only 2.3 sbf files (2.3.320, 2.3.340)

Those are some nice guides maderschramm, thanks.

I think I understand better now, although I am still a little bit confused.

Your guide doesn't talk about rooting, is that because flashing the (correct) sbf (with RSD) gives you root?

Once I am rooted can I then install ROM Manager to download ROMs and install them the the traditional way through recovery? or is that not an option with this device?

I'm going to hold off on rooting the DX, maybe I'm over thinking it and that's what is confusing me... I have had a G1, Droid, and EVO and have rooted them and installed custom ROMs without any issues (well I had a few issues with the Droid but that was just me being stupid)

I'm starting to think that people are using terms interchangeably like ROM and sbf and flash which is adding to my confusion. Many of the guides are great step by step instructions... but I guess what I need is a theoretical explanation of what is going on so that I feel safe following the guides.

wuss.
jk

sbf flash doesn't require root, it's stated in the tut, backing up does require root.

terminology:
sbf - file from vzw containing an original (stock system image)
>needs to be 'flashed' onto your phone with a program (like rsd_lite) as opposed to installed with a .zip file through recovery
ROM - stupid lingo term that doesn't make any sense for a custom firmware. DX doesn't really have these as the bootloader's locked, so they're really just glorified themes. Can be installed through clockworkmod recovery in the update.zip format

Rom manager works....barely. Use the bootstrapper (koush) to boot into clockworkmod recovery and do your nandroid business in there. It's the only recovery for the dx, it's hijacked, not replacing the standard recovery
Those are some nice guides maderschramm, thanks.

I think I understand better now, although I am still a little bit confused.

Your guide doesn't talk about rooting, is that because flashing the (correct) sbf (with RSD) gives you root?

Once I am rooted can I then install ROM Manager to download ROMs and install them the the traditional way through recovery? or is that not an option with this device?

I'm going to hold off on rooting the DX, maybe I'm over thinking it and that's what is confusing me... I have had a G1, Droid, and EVO and have rooted them and installed custom ROMs without any issues (well I had a few issues with the Droid but that was just me being stupid)

I'm starting to think that people are using terms interchangeably like ROM and sbf and flash which is adding to my confusion. Many of the guides are great step by step instructions... but I guess what I need is a theoretical explanation of what is going on so that I feel safe following the guides.

Can anybody help me ? i bricked my droid x, now this is just a spare phone so iwant see if icould bring it back to life. i am useing rsd lite while in bootload mode , but when start to run the program i get critical error 13337 ,502b message

Must be doing something incorrect.

I hold down the “Power” and “Home” buttons at the same time, get the triangle with explanation point in it and the droid character, press “Search” and the Android system recovery <3e> comes up. I then notice E: Can’t open /cache/recovery/command but I still go ahead and use the “Volume” down button and highlight “apply sdcard:update.zip” and after I do I then get –Install from sdcard....Finding update package...Opening update package...Verifying update package...E:signature verification failed Installation aborted.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here ?

Note: Phone was rooted but when the latest Motorola update came out I put it back (I think) and did the update that was a "pre-realease" from the Motorola site.

Thanks, Ed

So i think i understood this, but to clarify: i have updated by phone to the stock .340, from .315, and am rooted. I should NOT nandroid flash back to a .315 version, and should just delete those? I assume because the bootloader will screw me if i try to go back?

So i think i understood this, but to clarify: i have updated by phone to the stock .340, from .315, and am rooted. I should NOT nandroid flash back to a .315 version, and should just delete those? I assume because the bootloader will screw me if i try to go back?

correct. theyre no use now.

Back