Do We Really Need A Screen Protector?

In case you're wondering I use the SGP Ultra Oleophobic.
I was considering that one. i like the reduction of those smudges. and from what i have read, they arent real thick and shouldn't take away the feel of the screen TOO much.

I also agree with you guys in regards to the touch, feel, and responsiveness of the glass ; without any restriction of a protector.

I was considering that one. i like the reduction of those smudges. and from what i have read, they arent real thick and shouldn't take away the feel of the screen TOO much.

I also agree with you guys in regards to the touch, feel, and responsiveness of the glass ; without any restriction of a protector.
I find it greatly reduces fingerprints, so as long as your hands are clean. Like any screen protector I've dealt with, if your hands are dirty and mine are from playing basketball, they make dirt stick better. However, clean hands, huge reduction in fingerprints, no sacrifice of screen quality, and my fingers don't get "caught". I don't feel it sacrifices responsiveness either.

I find it greatly reduces fingerprints, so as long as your hands are clean. Like any screen protector I've dealt with, if your hands are dirty and mine are from playing basketball, they make dirt stick better. However, clean hands, huge reduction in fingerprints, no sacrifice of screen quality, and my fingers don't get "caught". I don't feel it sacrifices responsiveness either.
Good to know. THanks for your mini review. :)

I never used one on my OG Droid and it went scratch less until the week before I replaced it after 2 years. The Gorilla Glass did its job well.

However after 2 weeks with the Galaxy Nexus I noticed an itty bitty scratch on the glass and promptly put on a Skinomi protector. I don't love it but it's worth the $5 I paid on Amazon to have some peace of mind. I don't need this thing getting all scratched up if I'm going to have it for another 2 years!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Recommend you check this thread out: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/185969-screen-body-protectors.html

If you want I put a review on page 4 and 5
Ok. I will check it out. thanks

I never used one on my OG Droid and it went scratch less until the week before I replaced it after 2 years. The Gorilla Glass did its job well.

However after 2 weeks with the Galaxy Nexus I noticed an itty bitty scratch on the glass and promptly put on a Skinomi protector. I don't love it but it's worth the $5 I paid on Amazon to have some peace of mind. I don't need this thing getting all scratched up if I'm going to have it for another 2 years!

do you know how the scratch occurred? ... i saw those Skinomi screen protectors also. does it seem to work ok. easy to put on, doesn't feel like rubber when you use the touch screen. ?

thanks

Ok. I will check it out. thanks

do you know how the scratch occurred? ... i saw those Skinomi screen protectors also. does it seem to work ok. easy to put on, doesn't feel like rubber when you use the touch screen. ?

thanks

I don't know how the scratch happened unfortunately. I also don't know how I scratched my Droid after 2 years, I usually keep my phone in my pocket by itself. I recommend watching a video or two on YouTube to see how to apply it correctly, although it isn't that difficult.

The Skinomi protector is interesting, I had never used a wet-application protector before. I think it works pretty well though, but it is more rubbery feeling than the dry plastic ones I've used before. Took about a week to get used to it but now it doesn't bother me at all. I actually bought a second one to keep on hand in case I damage this one. Like I said in my previous post, I use it mostly for peace of mind and it is working well for that purpose.

My nexus got scratches from keys and phone in same pocket by MISTAKE. Had a bionic i cracked the screen when I dropped it on concrete screen down. Just one crack though not in the viewing area. My advice GET A SCREEN PROTECTOR! The cheap ones on eBay do the job just fine. 5 for $2 can't beat that. Screw a name brand screen protector you're not gonna shoot a bullet at your phone you don't need that much protection.

I would suggest not getting an anti-glare one. I accidentally picked those ones up and they really made the screen look bad. I went back and got the clear ones and they don't effect the display hardly at all.

I got a small scratch on my screen in the first week.
that suks. sorry to hear that. ... is it super noticable?

I would suggest not getting an anti-glare one. I accidentally picked those ones up and they really made the screen look bad. I went back and got the clear ones and they don't effect the display hardly at all.

thanks for the input pdc. .... i was thinking more of the clears ones too.

Well ill comment on this so take it for what its worth.

I had the nexus for 3 weeks, it went into a otterbox and never once came out of it other then putting the extended battery in it. Well after having countless problems with it I had to return it. Anyways when I took it back I took it out of the otterbox and down where the notification light is, lil scratches all the way around it was visible. I tried and tried to get them off but couldn't. Anyways I returned it but was speechless how crappy the glass is on it.

For any of u guys that came from a D1 that never had a scratch on ur screen praise moto for that and I'd suggest slap a screen protector on the nexus. I have my ex GFs nexus that I got her on my other line and I have it in my otterbox now but with a screen protector on it so its got double protection so the otterbox cant scratch it now. I cant even tell it has 2 layers on it.

Anyways I'm just trying to help from my experience

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I think of deciding to get a protector like this.

We all know air travel (strengthened glass) is better than car travel (nonstrengthened), statistically speaking, but all it takes is one plane crash you are on to ruin that theory.

I bet a person who got an std without protection would want to be protected now.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

I have never used a screen protector and my DX looked like it was just taken out of the box when I traded it in. I was able to recoup 121 of the 199 I paid for the phone using Best Buy trade in back this past july. Also never used a case, a tribute to the durability of Motorola phones. Not using a screen protector on GNex but I am using a Incipio case for the extra grip that the rubber provides. The case fits with the standard and extended battery and I will always use this type of case... Cheers

I posted this at XDA a while ago, but i will report it here:

Screen protectors don't hurt. I just don't think most people are educated. I will not judge someone either way, but I know many people don't fully understand why they have one except for the fact that many have them.

As for self-healing screen protectors, not so much. It just dulls away after constant use like buffing a scratch on a car. When the scratch dulls, so does the screen clarity. If you peel off the skin, the difference is night and day. [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Besides, most people leave the scratched plastic protector on over their glass screen which reduces touch sensitivity, obscures view and honestly looks like crap. What is the difference (aesthetically) between having a scratch-less screen with a cover that makes it look scratched or having a naked screen with a micro scratch? Plus, because the screen protectors scratch just looking at them, your device will always look scratched. Is there a point in spending 20min and $12 every month or two to have a false sense of security? I mean, just because you have a screen protector, are you gonna be less careful with it? [/FONT]I do agree that it reduces glare, but that is because many are tinted, barely visible but are tinted none-the-less, otherwise there would be no glare protection. It is the same as a contact lens. So, if it reduces glare, it also reduces screen brightness and clarity. Also, it does impede touch sensitivity, while not very noticeable, it does. Think about it, you are impeding the electrical conductivity between your finger and the capacitive screen with a plastic barrier.

I will agree that they are great for reducing finger smudges. Once again, I don't want to tell people not to buy them or mock people who do. I just want to educate people so they can make a solid decision for themselves.

Back