Droid Chargers

Well, here is my issue... I tried to charge my droid with the same charger that came with my Plantronics Voyager Pro headset.

Both are microusb and so, it shouldnt make a difference, right?

It charged the droid a little, (from dead to 5%) and thats it. This was also letting it stay connected over overnight. Needless to say I was a little pissed.

I still need to figure out why the plantronics charger didn't work right.

It really irks me that microusb is not universal, which appears to be the case.

I found that my plantronics charger (for my 975) wouldn't charge my droid either. Then I checked the ratings. The plantronics charger puts out 350mA, the moto charger that came with the phone puts out 850mA. At that rate (350mA) it would probably charge the droid very slowly. I have some other moto and apple chargers that put out 1A and charge the droid just fine (and maybe a bit quicker). The 1A chargers work fine on my plantronics and other mini/micro/usb gadgets too .

Last edited:
Another +1 for Monoprice.com! All their stuff is first rate, high quality. You cannot go wrong buying there.

Aren't headset chargers (though microusb) a lower ma rating? My original motorola bluetooth charger was only 300ma. That would be a VERY slow charging rate for the Droid. I'm assuming... cuskit

I found that my plantronics charger (for my 975) wouldn't charge my droid either. Then I checked the ratings. The plantronics charger puts out 350mA, the moto charger that came with the phone puts out 850mA. At that rate (350mA) it would probably charge the droid very slowly. I have some other moto and apple chargers that put out 1A and charge the droid just fine (and maybe a bit quicker). The 1A chargers work fine on my plantronics and other mini/micro/usb gadgets too .

That is unbelievable to me. I thought the WHOLE POINT of adopting microUSB as a standard was because it was a universal standard. I wish there was some way I could punish the dpsh*its behind this.

The charger that came with my droid has an output of 5.1V and 850mA. Its not much of a charger really, its a small thing that plugs into the wall that allows one to plug a microUSB cable into it.

So cranky, you are saying that hooking a 850mA charger to your headset does not damage it?

If that's the case, then I will standardize all my chargers at 850mA I guess.

That is unbelievable to me. I thought the WHOLE POINT of adopting microUSB as a standard was because it was a universal standard. I wish there was some way I could punish the dpsh*its behind this.

The charger that came with my droid has an output of 5.1V and 850mA. Its not much of a charger really, its a small thing that plugs into the wall that allows one to plug a microUSB cable into it.

So cranky, you are saying that hooking a 850mA charger to your headset does not damage it?

That's exactly what I've done. And all my bluetooth (including the Moto305's) work fine with the higher mA.. cuskit :)

I was going to buy the Verizon car charger for $30, but thought I'd share what I found to save someone else a few bucks.

Instead I got a Nokia car charger, a Blackberry wall charger, and a Blackberry USB cable for the same price... a much better deal and they all work fine being micro USB, plus they actually are Nokia and Blackberry brands, not no names.

Bumble Bee Electronics - Electronic Supplies, Accessories was the site I used. Took about 4 days to my door.

Blackberry® Usb Datasync & Charging Cable With Micro Usb, 1 M
Blackberry® Folding Blade Charger With Micro Usb
Micro Usb Rapid Car Charger

I wish they had the docks, but at least I have all the chargers I need now at a decent price.

I did bump into a desktop cradle that came with a moto charger, that only costed me $3 extra on top.

so, you might wanna consider that, since you get a charger and the desktop cradle.:)

I only use the moto charger (850mA) and the apple ipod charger (the really small one, 1A) to charge all my gear and I haven't noticed any problems. I certainly hope that I'm not frying anything! Are there any EE's on here that could chime in?

I purchased the Verizon car charger and noticed while playing music from my Droid using a 3.5mm cable to my car stereo it made a loud hissing sound. At first I thought it was the way I had it all hooked up, but after unplugging and then plugging the charger back into the Droid a few times. I know its the charger without it connected to the Droid the Sound is fine. For those of you who have none VZW adapters have any of you had this happen?

Last edited:
I purchased the Verizon car charger and noticed while playing music from my Droid using a 3.5mm cable to my car stereo it made a loud hissing sound. At first I thought it was the way I had it all hooked up, but after unplugging and then plugging the charger back into the Droid a few times. I know its the charger without it connected to the Droid the Sound is fine. For those of you who have none VZW adapters have any of you had this happen?

Yes, I have the same issue and other than using some sort of bluetooth interface, I haven't found any other solutions.

Yes, I have the same issue and other than using some sort of bluetooth interface, I haven't found any other solutions.

So have you used only the VZW charger? Or others? If so which ones?

So have you used only the VZW charger? Or others? If so which ones?

I only have/use the Monoprice car-charger.

Dumb question: What's the advantage of the 28/24AWG versus 28/28AWG?
I don't want the little box near the end of the cord if possible.

I'm about to order the 1000ma wall charger with a 10 foot cord. Does it need heavier wire (24AWG) over 10 feet?
Or am I misunderstanding exactly what it is?

Great conversation everyone!! Gotta admit, though, that I took the plunge a few years back and went with iGo chargers and tips and haven't looked back. And no, I have never fried a phone as I've heard some reports of.

The most I pay is $9.99 if and when I need a new tip. I've got tips for my iPod, Storm, Droid, Moto Q, etc. My tip for my Storm works with my Droid. Charging times are fast. Good stuff.

Great conversation everyone!! Gotta admit, though, that I took the plunge a few years back and went with iGo chargers and tips and haven't looked back. And no, I have never fried a phone as I've heard some reports of.

The most I pay is $9.99 if and when I need a new tip. I've got tips for my iPod, Storm, Droid, Moto Q, etc. My tip for my Storm works with my Droid. Charging times are fast. Good stuff.

I have an Igo charger, but havent tried it with my Droid yet. I've found that there is no noise when using the VZW charger in my wifes Camry. So it must be my 2001 F150 has dirty wires. Would the Igo stop the noise?

I have an Igo charger, but havent tried it with my Droid yet. I've found that there is no noise when using the VZW charger in my wifes Camry. So it must be my 2001 F150 has dirty wires. Would the Igo stop the noise?
I use the "Universal" car charger (bought with my phone at a company store) in my 2006 F150 - no hiss or any noise. I see the ones they sell now are slightly different - so I'm assuming VZW outsources from different manufacturers.

Dirty wires in a Ford? Nah! :) Mine was assembled in Canada. Those gold winning boys in red know how to build quality in blue.. :icon_ banana:

On the subject of Ford (slightly off topic) it opened today at $12.00 a share! That's up from the $2.00 I paid just a little over a year ago! Yippie! They keep moving and my F150 will basically be free..

Back on topic - I'll take the plunge on your recommendation and buy some iGo chargers. I have three work vehicles, and it's a pain moving my one charger from truck to truck. :) mike

Last edited:
Back