Droid headphone jack self-fix?

If you plan on using any type of glue/epoxy/cements/etc. be sure to check...
no... scratch that...
BE POSITIVE that the type of epoxy you're selecting will not have adverse effects on the internal components.

In other words...
>>> SOME EPOXIES WILL MELT CERTAIN TYPES OF PLASTICS!
>>> SOME EPOXIES MIGHT INSULATE INTERNAL HARDWARE THAT SHOULD NOT BE INSULLATED!
(Electrical bridge contacts, like where the headphone jack meets the board!)

Just my 2 cents and call for peace posting. :happy:

This is a good point. Honestly, looking at it I'm not sure how you would get epoxy in there anyway. It's hard enough to even get a piece of paper in there!

no... scratch that...
BE POSITIVE that the type of epoxy you're selecting will not have adverse effects on the internal components.

Yeah basically I've since decided against doing anything like that. I've 'upgraded' my original envelope solution by carefully cutting a think strip (maybe 1mm) of a thicker paper long enough to go around the back half of the gap in the headphone jack.

Its totally flush now and I've attached a photo-shopped (EXPERTLY :biggrin:) pic demonstrating the location of the paper.

Yeah basically I've since decided against doing anything like that. I've 'upgraded' my original envelope solution by carefully cutting a think strip (maybe 1mm) of a thicker paper long enough to go around the back half of the gap in the headphone jack.

Its totally flush now and I've attached a photo-shopped (EXPERTLY :biggrin:) pic demonstrating the location of the paper.

That is pretty expert!...anyway, for my phone I think it would have to be on the other side for it to work, pushing down from the screen instead of up towards it. Strange.

That is pretty expert!...anyway, for my phone I think it would have to be on the other side for it to work, pushing down from the screen instead of up towards it. Strange.

No you need to push it towards the screen, because that's where the contacts are. Check the build photos I posted earlier.

Maybe it acts like a lever on mine and pushes it up somehow. Anyway, I guess do whatever works for you.

no... scratch that...

Sweet! Good idea and pic. Thanks for that. I was debating about some really thin plastic that I could still put a little dab of super-glue or something to make sure it stays in place. Your thoughts?

Ok, my phone has the same issue, but I have a question about returning the phone. What is VZW's return policy? I bought the phone at full price from BestBuy in my hometown, but there's no BestBuy where I go to school. Can I still take the phone to VZW and have them replace it?

Droid replaced

[FONT=&quot] I had the same problem and decided to replace the phone. The guy behind the counter said he had the same issue with his own Droid. The good news, however, is that they replaced my phone right away. However, I have a sinking feeling that this problem will soon return. What will they do when the one year warranty expires and all the Droids still have the same problem?

Thanks for the post on the envelope fix….great alternative if you don't want to get a different phone or be forced to use BT all the time.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]....What will they do when the one year warranty expires and all the Droids still have the same problem?....[/FONT]

Sell more bluetooth products and/or have customers pay to have their Droids fixed? (In other words, win/win for Verizon) ;)

....now for my non-cynical / non-smartass reply to this thread....

So far I've been lucky I guess. I use my headphone jack at least twice per day (commute to and from work) to plug into my car audio system to listen to mp3s. Time plugged in is about 1 hour 15 minutes total per day.

Ultimately, I'd like to purchase a handsfree bluetooth unit for the car (not earpiece, rather a visor speaker-phone/FM transmitter type of unit), but I haven't done it yet.

I have had this and other problems with my Droids. I'm on my 4th Droid now and I started experiencing the headphone jack problem after a couple of days.

I cut a small portion of a plastic straw and wedged it between the 1/8th" jack housing and the frame of the phone, so far so good. Hopefully this droid won't be giving me any problems now.

I would very strongly recommend against using anything permanent like epoxy. Not only could this damage the phone, but should some other manufacturing defect crop up Verizon/Motorola could use your modifications to the phone to tell you your warranty has been voided. Using a straw seems like the best solution as it is durable and easily pulled out (paper will rip) and is of sufficient thickness.

Does anyone think the "engineers" will fix this issue soon? Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do...

What about using some heavy duty aluminum foil? Wrap it around the headphone plug to "thicken" the plug and create a stronger connection. Then you don't have to worry about a piece of paper falling out, etc. I may try this...

What about using some heavy duty aluminum foil? Wrap it around the headphone plug to "thicken" the plug and create a stronger connection. Then you don't have to worry about a piece of paper falling out, etc. I may try this...

Wow, the LAST thing I would consider inserting into any port on my Droid (besides the the recommended plug) is something that can conduct electricity!!!

Why risk the very real possibility of bridging a circuit somewhere inside the phone and shorting it out!? With paper, you do not have that risk at all.

That's why I asked first :-/ Just trying to create a more solid connection. I'll try a straw instead.

Back