Droid plus Subsonic is killer

I_TerraBull

Reaction score
I spent the past couple of days playing around with the Subsonic media-streamer, Subsonic » Free Music Streamer. The application allows you to stream music from your home pc to any web-based devices including Android devices.

-When connected to my home network, I can now stream music from my pc to my droid via wi-fi, using the router's wireless access point
-When connected to someone else network, I can now remotely access music on my pc and stream to my droid via wifi.
-When connected via 3g, I can now can now remotely access music on my pc and stream to my droid via wifi.

So now, where ever I go I will always have access to 70GBs of music library sitting on my PC.

BEST FOR LAST...

If you are rooted and have latest version of flash installed, you will be able to stream almost any type of video on your pc to your droid.

Subsonic does video transcoding on the fly. Now, instead of wasting an hour converting movies into a Droid compatible format, I am using Subsonic to stream movies from my PC to my Droid via 3g or wifi.

pretty sweet, the deal breaker for me was going to be if it didnt support linux but it does! If this works well I can free up about 11gb off of my sdcard.

-When connected via 3g, I can now can now remotely access music on my pc and stream to my droid via wifi.

this doesnt make sense to me, if youre on 3g it will stream via wifi?? is that a typo and you meant 3g?

My bad.. That was a typo. Definitely works with 3g. Applications like this is why VZ wants to dump the unlimited data plans.

Been using it for some time. Run the server on one of my linux servers, easy to setup and maintain. Though I do suggest using the war rather than the standalone installer/server thing. Also I suggest setting your server up to use ssl, so you aren't passing passwords around in clear text. The phone app doesn't support it but when streaming through the browser you should use ssl.

Most recent update to the app fixed some annoying download issues on the droid I was having.

Oh and it seems to scale fine but I have read some issues with extremely large collections, I have about 280GBs and haven't had issues.

Also it expects your collection to be in a decent directory structure because it bases the lists off of the directories. So its best if your collection is stored as ./artist/album/file

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cool thanks for the info, I'd mostly be using it for music since im rarely ever in the position where I can watch tv shows or movies.

just want to give this amazing app a bump........ the best music streaming app I have found hands down....... better than orb........ it is fast, simple, and hardly ever any hiccups in the loading of songs if you set your mobile setting to be at 164kb streaming......... I would gladly pay or donate for this app...... havent touched my ipod 160gig for a month since I got my new Droid x........... scrolls through my over 210 gig collection of music effortlessly

just want to give this amazing app a bump........ the best music streaming app I have found hands down....... better than orb........ it is fast, simple, and hardly ever any hiccups in the loading of songs if you set your mobile setting to be at 164kb streaming......... I would gladly pay or donate for this app...... havent touched my ipod 160gig for a month since I got my new Droid x........... scrolls through my over 210 gig collection of music effortlessly

Better than orb? That's not saying much. lol.

Anyways, how are the loading times for your collections? With orb and a strong 3G connection, I would just sit there and stare at my screen for upwards of 30 seconds each time I navigated to a different folder. And it would just sit there loading all the files slowly... so slowly.

Any different here?

on 3g instantaneous.......... orb was flacky for me sometimes fast sometimes slow........ but with subsonic its instantaneous and you can glide through your artists with a fast scroll letter bar.... very easy quick and responsive.........

I am a noob to Subsonic and it is really great. It is better with 2.2 for me because with 2.1 it was actually doing very short pauses/skips especially around 10 seconds or so into every song.

Anyways, does this app have to always download the songs you are "streaming" to your phone? To me it is not a steamer if it is downloading the actual song to your card. I had to delete a bunch of mp3 files from my SD card that I did not want there. I am not selecting "download" either. I am using Droid 1

Thanks

I never had to download stuff, I have the option to but its not necessary.

What setting would that be? The only items that seem close would be....

Cache Size - mine is set to 500mb

Songs to preload - Mine is set to unlimited. Lowest setting is 1. Is this for when you are selecting a bunch of songs at once?

I don't see any other settings.

Thanks

I'm unable to get this to work and I'm a bit confused. On the Droid, via 3G, I can sign in to the website I created and view my collection, but the tunes won't play. It says there's a network error. Could someone please assist me?

When I run the static IP app from portforwarding.com, it says my IP is dynamic. When I set it to the recommended IP, I lose connection with my wireless router. I looked through my router settings, but I can't figure it out (2wire 424 wireless modem/router).

Any thoughts?

I'm unable to get this to work and I'm a bit confused. On the Droid, via 3G, I can sign in to the website I created and view my collection, but the tunes won't play. It says there's a network error. Could someone please assist me?

When I run the static IP app from portforwarding.com, it says my IP is dynamic. When I set it to the recommended IP, I lose connection with my wireless router. I looked through my router settings, but I can't figure it out (2wire 424 wireless modem/router).

Any thoughts?

You need a dyndns address, and open a specific port (configurable in settings) on your router for WAN access. For LAN, simply type your subsonic machine's IP and port into your browser (eg. 192.168.0.3:6000) or in Subsonic App's settings for Home Server.

Last edited:
has anybody here tried mSpot? How does this compare? Currently mSpot for me offers decent storage but it gets the album art wrong and the quality is pretty shoddy (a trade-off because of how quick it streams).

Back