Droid X/Black Screen On Boot/Camera Button Broken (clockworkmod useless)/EMERGENCY

dshoe

Reaction score
Alright, I have a Droid X that I was about to take into Verizon to get replaced because I noticed that the camera button was broken, when taking a picture it would focus but it wouldn't snap the picture. So I had Apex on my phone and I was installing Stock Froyo with ROM Manager after backing up my current Apex rom. After backing up my phone attempted to install the stock rom and I got an error saying it could not find /tmp/recovery.log or something like that and I was then at clockwork. Well I could figure out what to do from there normally but my camera button is broken and that is the selection button from within the recovery menu. I have not dropped this phone once so I don't know what is wrong with the button, and this just plain sucks. I am experienced with general device hacking and I am pretty tech savvy. If anyone knows how I can fix this with a computer (I have both Mac OS and Windows) PLEASE let me know ASAP

EDIT
Could I use the stock recovery to install the stock firmware zip file by putting it on my sdcard as update.zip and selecting the "apply sdcard:update.zip"?

Last edited:
How did you select restore backup if your camera button doesn't work?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Ow wait. I see. Sorry

You can use either tbh restore zip or maderstcok340 zip. Dl maderstcok340 from this website, then select install from sd card thru RM. I never use RM on my dx. Doesn't work ever for me

Yea I did everything with rom manager up until when the rom install messed up and I was presented with clockwork

Never use ROMmanager! The only real real reason for it on the X is for the Clockwork recovery, which you boot into via bootstrap. Any other way is risky.

I have used ROM Manager to flash many roms onto my X with no problem, but after this I will use nothing other than clockwork. Also what is maderstcok's website?

Ok I renamed the maderstcok340.zip to recover.zip and put it on my sdcard.
The recovery said
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
Remember this is in the Android System recovery because I cant use clockwork to select the update.zip option

Other than downloading roms from it rom manager has never worked for me on my X , i went ahead and bought the premium version thinking that i would be able to use it to install roms but it never happen every time try to install a rom the installation stop halfway and the phone just reboots . I think one should be very careful when trying to use rom manager to install roms on the Droid X .

I also downloaded SBF and copied it to my sdcard and named it as update.zip but the Android System recovery still says "E:signature verification failed". I also noticed that at the beginning it says "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

BUMP
Is there any way for me to install stock froyo in the default recovery NOT CLOCKWORK

Would running RSD Lite work on this?

Sorry. Got busy. Yes sbf it. Do u know how?

And what i meant about maderstcok340 was select install rom from sd card in rom manager. All that does is auto push it to cw then run the zip. U push nothing. But u do want to select wipe data and cache after u hit install rom from sd card. Follow?

God...im making it worse. Im sorry. I just realized u can't access bootloader if u can't use camera button.... so try applying mader thru rm.

Back