droid's .3gp to Windows Movie Maker?

wormywyrm

Reaction score
3gp is the format that my droid saves videos in, and I would like to get those videos into Windows Media Maker so I can hook them together and cut a few parts out. Does anyone know how to do this? I tried to install a 3gp codec but it doesnt seem to work at all. Media Maker just says it doesn't have the right codec to open 3gp.

Any suggestions?

Yeah man, there is a couple good video editors on this site as a matter of fact......you can look up DVDCatalyst and there's another one I don't know the name of that I think RinTinTigger posted up a while back that's free...

Try downloading the VLC media player for Windows. I just used Movie Maker in Windows 7 a few days ago to edit a droid video with no problems. VLC has a lot of codec support and that might explain why MM works for me but not you.

Edit: I just checked my laptop and noticed I'm using "Live Movie Maker" so I may have a newer version than you. It's a free download as part of the Windows Live Essentials pack.

I downloaded Live Movie Maker and also VLC and I still cannot edit my 3gp files. Are you sure you are able to edit them with Windows Live Movie Maker???

From the link I posted earlier:

All of what I search is concerned with making vids to go "onto" the droid. I want to convert it to mail it out from my PC.
I made one with the Droid this pm and it's nearing the 9MB size mark.
I want to convert it from a .3gp to a .wmv or other standard windows player format and in a smaller more e-mailable friendly size.
I have file-factory but it just screws it up no matter what I try.
Anything out there simple?

Install fddshow

ffdshow - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com

which adds numerous new codecs (including 3gp) to WIndows Media Player.
then you can use something like Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder to convert the files to WMV format.

WoW! Thanks

I have a new hobby learning all those configuration settings but "for now" I easily made a 7MB droid .3gp video to a 5MB .wmv by using Windows Movie Maker and merely selecting Publish and experimenting with the "Compress to" setting. If you try and mash it too much it will hang. Just close and bump it up and try again.

Great help from "dvdcatalyst".:)

VLC has a lot of included codecs, but these only work for VLC, not for any other program.

I downloaded Live Movie Maker and also VLC and I still cannot edit my 3gp files. Are you sure you are able to edit them with Windows Live Movie Maker???

Yes, definitely. I'll take a closer look tonight and see if I can find a version number.

Yes, definitely. I'll take a closer look tonight and see if I can find a version number.

livemoviemaker.png

Can you play the 3gp files in windows media player? If you can't, then it's likely that I've downloaded something in the past that added the right codec.

As I mentioned in my other posts in this thread:

From the link I posted earlier:

Install fddshow

ffdshow - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com

which adds numerous new codecs (including 3gp) to WIndows Media Player.
then you can use something like Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder to convert the files to WMV format.

WoW! Thanks

I have a new hobby learning all those configuration settings but "for now" I easily made a 7MB droid .3gp video to a 5MB .wmv by using Windows Movie Maker and merely selecting Publish and experimenting with the "Compress to" setting. If you try and mash it too much it will hang. Just close and bump it up and try again.

Great help from "dvdcatalyst".:)

VLC has a lot of included codecs, but these only work for VLC, not for any other program.

fddshow is free by the way.

I used ImTOO to convert it to mpg (but it costs money, demo version sucks), and then I used Movie Maker after that.

If you're on windows 7 the best bet is windows live movie maker. I don't like editing with it so I import my droid 3 videos into there, publish them (which converts them and you don't have to worry about a loss of quality) and then pull them up and edit in windows movie maker.

Back