Dropped Phone, screen cracked. Verizon BS

or @ cnn :

HTC ThunderBolt 4G OEM digitizer - - Cellular Accessories | Mobile Accessories | Cell Phone

does the TB use gorilla glass ?
good luck with the repair. get urself a set of tools from that site as well, they will come in handy taking the phone apart. has iFixit taken this phone apart yet ? if so you may find a guide or step by step ...

fair warning, phones nowadays use glue everywhere, the screen glass is prolly glued to the body, so this seal would need to be broken and redone.

i've taken apart phones in the past, wherever there is glue, it's difficult to get things back to the way the device was put together. i would opt to go the insurance route ....

Last edited:
Yea I looked at some videos of people taking apart the DINC and the glass is glued to the front frame. They just use a hair dryer and carefully pry it off when the glue loosens up. Im sure the same thing can be done with the Bolt. Hopefully there is pre applied glue on the new digitizer so it can be heated up and sealed on with light pressure. Ill look into the ifix it site and see if they did the vid yet.

I really hope this digitizer doesnt take weeks to come in. I have a bad feeling since this phone is so new it isnt in stock. Ill probably email them soon to see.

Anyone who didnt get the insurance I would recommend getting it while you still can. You have 30 days from activation to enroll. Here are some of the stats:
7 bucks a month/99 dollar deductible for claims that are APPROVED
Can only claim twice in a 12 month period
Covers theft/lost/accidental damage

Please let me know how this repair goes. Dropped mine today and am REALLY bummed. Didn't have insurance and bought it on a gift card (I knew I wanted a new phone so got a gift card for Xmas). I am an engineer and have some handy friends so I think we can do it if you feel it's not too hard.

I don't see how you can have a high price phone and don't take care of it.

sent from my HTC thunderbolt

Yea I looked at some videos of people taking apart the DINC and the glass is glued to the front frame. They just use a hair dryer and carefully pry it off when the glue loosens up. Im sure the same thing can be done with the Bolt. Hopefully there is pre applied glue on the new digitizer so it can be heated up and sealed on with light pressure. Ill look into the ifix it site and see if they did the vid yet.

I really hope this digitizer doesnt take weeks to come in. I have a bad feeling since this phone is so new it isnt in stock. Ill probably email them soon to see.

Anyone who didnt get the insurance I would recommend getting it while you still can. You have 30 days from activation to enroll. Here are some of the stats:
7 bucks a month/99 dollar deductible for claims that are APPROVED
Can only claim twice in a 12 month period
Covers theft/lost/accidental damage

Not to be a negative person, but remember, insurance companies are in the business to make money. They don't want to lose money, so the rates they quote you ($7/month + $99/claim) is based on the probability model that they will not have to pay a majority of claims. Also remember that they have and do substitute refurbished phones at times.

Mathematically, it is usually a better deal to just tae care of the phone and hope it doesn't break. This also goes for "buyer's protection programs" (a la best buy, sears, car delaerships) where they know the statistics and will make extra money off of you.

Just my $0.02 ($0.035 when I factor in the insurance on my mathematical model being correct....).

Cheers,
B.D.

I must be missing something here

Well I dropped my phone earlier with the seido case on and it cracked the glass real good. It landed face down on concrete. Phone still works but had to put tape over the glass. Heres the dilemma...

Ordered from Amazon Wireless through other family share plan line and had it transfered to my number after getting it in. I ordered the phone with Asurion insurance but apparently the insurance did not transfer with the phone when I had the phone transfered back to my phone number. After a lengthy convo with a verizon rep they said the insurance is on the initial line even though I ordered the insurance on this phone when I placed the amazon order. She called Asurion to see if there was anything that could be done and they said no (of course). So now its probably documented on Asurions end. I did enroll for the insurance now but does that help me with my current issue?

Can anyone give me some tips of what may be the best plan of action at this point? Im really pissed. I can order the glass and do it myself but if I take the phone apart is that going to screw me in the future if anything else happens and I need to send it in....the stupid void sticker? I have a feeling someone knows what i can do to get them to take care of it.

Thanks, Sam

I notice people keep saying you can't do anything about it. I'm just curious as to why you can't switch the phone back over to the original line that you upgraded it on to begin with through Amazon. The insurance is still on that line and as far as Asurion is concerned, assuming they didn't document your prior conversion. The insurance was purchased at the time phone line A was upgraded to a new phone.

If they said the insurance stays with the line, then they are shooting themselves in the foot. It should follow the phone otherwise people who damage their phones that aren't insured can swap it to a line that is insured on the multi-line account if they have a line that is insured. You should be able to make the argument that if the line itself is insured, then you have to repair the phone that is linked to the line, which you should have already put the TB back on it. Worst case sceanrio they can check their records, assuming they track the phone at the time of insurance purchase to realize that the TB was the new phone activated on that phone line A at the time of the insurance purchase.

In any case if my theory can't be accomplished, just take it to a local repair center, I have a co-worker who daughter cracked her iphone screen and she got it repaired for like $60. Yes I know we are talking about the TB but the point I'm trying to make is you could potentially end up spending less to get the screen repaired then it cost to file a claim anyways. I think it's definitely worth taking a look into.

according to where I bought mine and the non-verizon insurance is 6.99 a month and if this happens it is a walk in the store, hand phone over, pay your 50.00 and they hand you a new phone, no need deal with verizon.

I'm one of the unlucky ones that has dropped their phones and they all seem to get the same identical crack...never damaging the lcd, maybe they need to look into a recall...I still say this can't be gorilla glass

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

How were you able to put phone on a different line other than the upgraded line. I thought amazon and wirefly won't allow you. However Verizon allows it

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

How were you able to put phone on a different line other than the upgraded line. I thought amazon and wirefly won't allow you. However Verizon allows it

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Amazon has no special terms other than not allowing you to deactivate the line for six months.

They probably designed it like that so they break easy. They will sell more HTC digitizers that way raising profit margins. Big business takes everything into consideration to maximize profits.

Back