Dying to use 928Droid's epic Black Glass theme, but I have some questions

These are the steps I took to get phone where it is now:

I rooted my phone using adb method, then installed Rom Manager and flashed it, inside download option chose FlyX, after reboot, went back in Rom Manager and backed up current rom, then installed BootStrap Recovery, then downloaded 928DroidX - (the latest one) and installed through BootStrap Rocovery - Done!

(Reboot took about five minutes.)

Note: After 928DroidX is on your sdcard, doesn't matter where, as long as you remember. I used, download folder. Open BootStrap, push the top button, after you see superuser message, push second button and when recovery opens look for install from sd, find 928 and install. Like I said previous, reboot took about five minutes.

Droid X - Rom: 928DroidX

I'm a big time noob. I just learned how to root a phone. But I really want that black glass theme and would love to have a black status bar. I running 2.2 ota droid x. Should I even try this since I just learned how to root?

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Rooting and the concept of it came quite easy but I'd like the Black Glass theme. I just don't see any clear cut, step by step instructions. I even THOROUGHLY read 928's thread on the theme for the DROID X. Guess I'll just wait until I find step by step instructions or someone who can apply the theme to my phone for me.

1.Download and install Droid X Bootstrapper. Click bootstrap Recovery
2.Download Rom Manager and Flash Clockwork Recovery Mod.
3.Use Rom Manager to "Backup Current Rom"
4.Download the 928DroidX theme (Deodexxer version if you haven't done anything else to your phone)
5.Use Rom manager to "Install Rom from SD Card" - choose 928.
6. Wait for first boot. and you are now themed and deodexed and you will have a backup to go back to rooted stock.
7. I would suggest making another ROM backup after you are themed and Deodexed as well, for that warm and fuzzy feeling.

That's about as basic install instructions as you are gonna see on this thread. If you still need more info on getting that far, just keep searching and reading forums. I spent two weeks just making sure I knew what and how to do Rooting. So I can surely Empathize.

As far as safety and OTA issues.... No one can say for sure really if Verizon pushes another Froyo update that Rooted users will be able to just jump right on without going back to stock. Or any other steps.

But that is the Risk vs Reward that we take with Rooting our devices.

I have faith in the community that someone will release that sbf as soon as they can. Until then, I am really not worried about what Verizon will do since this theme and the FlyX Rom have made my phone so much better than what Verizon gave us to start with.

Always do what you are comfortable with doing, but only after you have done that proper level of research and understand where you are and where you are headed.

OK sorry for the Soap Box!
Happy Trails.

You. Are. AWESOME!

dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

I'm a big time noob. I just learned how to root a phone. But I really want that black glass theme and would love to have a black status bar. I running 2.2 ota droid x. Should I even try this since I just learned how to root?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3 weeks ago I had not ever even held a smartphone in my hand.

I you feel you are able to follow directions to the T, you should have no problem. If you are the type that is always in the situation of "I followed directions but for some reason it did not work", do not expect this to be any different.

ETA: I have rooted (2.1 and 2.2), SBF back to stock, Deodexed, done the "remove verizon" mod, build prop mods including the one in a seperate thread to increase benchmark and installed this theme and all of its seperate components, all without any problems.

Last edited:
In Step 2, you say to download 2 things: Rom Manager and Flash clockwork mod. Am I reading that wrong? I could only find Rom Manager in Market. BTW, is the Droid X Bootstrapper free in Market? Thanks for the clarifications.

My bad: After Rom Manager is installed, top option will flash recovery once you pick your device.

Droid X - Rom: 928DroidX

Excellent instructions. Rom manager carries the clowork recovery. Droid x boot strapper is a seperate app. Download both of them. But first install the boot strapper and then instal clockwork recovery.

thank you thank you thank you!!!

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Rooting and the concept of it came quite easy but I'd like the Black Glass theme. I just don't see any clear cut, step by step instructions. I even THOROUGHLY read 928's thread on the theme for the DROID X. Guess I'll just wait until I find step by step instructions or someone who can apply the theme to my phone for me.

1.Download and install Droid X Bootstrapper. Click bootstrap Recovery
2.Download Rom Manager and Flash Clockwork Recovery Mod.
3.Use Rom Manager to "Backup Current Rom"
4.Download the 928DroidX theme (Deodexxer version if you haven't done anything else to your phone)
5.Use Rom manager to "Install Rom from SD Card" - choose 928.
6. Wait for first boot. and you are now themed and deodexed and you will have a backup to go back to rooted stock.
7. I would suggest making another ROM backup after you are themed and Deodexed as well, for that warm and fuzzy feeling.

That's about as basic install instructions as you are gonna see on this thread. If you still need more info on getting that far, just keep searching and reading forums. I spent two weeks just making sure I knew what and how to do Rooting. So I can surely Empathize.

As far as safety and OTA issues.... No one can say for sure really if Verizon pushes another Froyo update that Rooted users will be able to just jump right on without going back to stock. Or any other steps.

But that is the Risk vs Reward that we take with Rooting our devices.

I have faith in the community that someone will release that sbf as soon as they can. Until then, I am really not worried about what Verizon will do since this theme and the FlyX Rom have made my phone so much better than what Verizon gave us to start with.

Always do what you are comfortable with doing, but only after you have done that proper level of research and understand where you are and where you are headed.

OK sorry for the Soap Box!
Happy Trails.

In Step 3, when you backup the current rom, is that the same as performing a system backup (in case there is a problem during deodexing or applying the theme)? Would you be able to use the backup (from Step 3) to fix your phone then?

Yes. You will be able to revert to the state your phone was before applying any customs.

Sent from my flyX using Tapatalk

One last question, the Droid X Bootstrapper in Step 1, is there a free version in the Market or is it a paid one? Don't have my phone with me right now to check.

I loaded this theme just to get deodexed. Wasn't planning on keeping the Black Glass, but I love it!!! Really looks nice. Very well done :)

Maybe a stupid question but how do you get 928Droid's zip file (the DEODEXEERR-THEME.zip) onto the sd card? Do you have to use adb? If so would this command work:

adb push 928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME.zip /sdcard/928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME.zip

Or is there an another way?

There are several different ways to download "Black Glass" to the sdcard. You can use a file manager to move it to the root of the sdcard. You can link you phone to your computer under usb mass storage and place it there using you computer, and i think you can use adb to do it. i have done the first 2 but had a reason to try adb to move. I only used it to manually root my phone.

So, I'm new to Droid and just rooted and installed the Black glass ROM. Everything is working great for the most part, but the video camera keeps force closing everytime I try to use it. Anyone else getting that issue?

So, I'm new to Droid and just rooted and installed the Black glass ROM. Everything is working great for the most part, but the video camera keeps force closing everytime I try to use it. Anyone else getting that issue?

Just tried my video camera and it is working fine. Been running this theme just since this morning though. So far no problems

Back