Eris Complaints?

1. Droid is big, hence the size of the screen. It's what I want in a phone.
  2. Some call it ugly. I like the industrial look & rather not have it look like the iPhone and listen to all the crap fanboys would go on about how Moto copied the iPhone.

Well let's be honest here, the Droid is the biggest smart phone that Verizon is offering to date in total overall size taking into consideration weight also. Bigger than the Storm 2, bigger than the Palm's, bigger than the iPhone. The phone is not only big it's square, awkwardly shaped, and hardly any case can properly and effectively fit the Droid.

For example, in the 4 days I owned the Droid before swapping it for the HTC Eris I picked up a Body Glove case that was absolutely horrific.

1) When I start maps, it thinks I'm in India, takes forever to get a GPS fix. The weather/clock on the home screen doesn't know what city I'm in.

2) The combination of the end call button and menu touch button unlock the phone. Had the phone for three days, and it's pocket calling all the time. I know you can secure the screen with a pattern, but that's a pain.

3) Battery drain! Have to continuously turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, and gps to get through the day.

Does anyone have any workarounds or solutions for #1 and #2?

Well, swapped out today for the Eris (after 1 week with the Droid).

So far I am definitely impressed with the UI of the Eris - much more pleasing. Much better widgets and like the ability to assign a separate wallpaper to the lock screen (very iphone like).

Never felt comfortable with how to carry my Droid. Too heavy for a pocket and I'm not a holster guy. Eris slips nicely in my shirt or coat pocket. Love the Matte finish on the back!

Out of the box Exchange support is more inclusive, but still lacking - No GAL search and no accepting invites from email. It will however allow you to apply signatures and move emails to other folders (activities the Droid would not). Probably will still go with Touchdown. Is there an equivalent app for the Motorola Corporate Directory app for 1.5?

Noticeable difference in performance. Browser is slower and switching between functions lags a bit when compared to the Droid. Sometimes I'm left wondering if I actually hit the button or not.

Really missing Google Nav, but not enough to have me running back to the store. Fingers crossed that it will be included in the 2.0 update for Eris. 3.2" screen looks small after staring at the behemoth on the Droid, but will get used to it.

I think if it had the car/home dock and supported app along with Google Nav, it would certainly complete the package. That was slick on the Droid!

So far battery hasn't been too bad, but it is still early. More posts to come and thanks for the input!

1) When I start maps, it thinks I'm in India, takes forever to get a GPS fix. The weather/clock on the home screen doesn't know what city I'm in.

2) The combination of the end call button and menu touch button unlock the phone. Had the phone for three days, and it's pocket calling all the time. I know you can secure the screen with a pattern, but that's a pain.

3) Battery drain! Have to continuously turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, and gps to get through the day.

Does anyone have any workarounds or solutions for #1 and #2?

I do have a solution for Number 1. :icon_ banana: if you delete the clock\weather widget and re add it, you then add your location and select it instead of selecting current location it will allways display the location you selected instead of whatever HTC's software tells them it is. It looks to me like they do a search by City name only and it keeps finding the wrong location, it should search by postal though

Last edited:
Really no complaints. There is a massive drain on the battery. But its a pretty small deal considering the awesome features and performance.

Well, maybe my wife's phone is just a lemon then. I got her the Eris and me the Droid. I really want to like her phone better because I do like the size and weight a lot better than my Moto. I would have no issues taking mine back and getting an Eris, but this thing is so slow compared to the Moto that it is a complete deal breaker.

Much slower processor running 1.5 with an a$$ load of pre-installed bloatware all add up to a really slow device. Maybe if it had the same Android 2.0 OS without all of the crap that HTC pumps it with it would be a player, but until then it will just be a cheaper option. (IMO of course)

If I am missing something, please let me know. I am still within the 30 days and have plenty of issues with my phone as well, so I have no loyalty to any one phone.

Why are we not complaining? Its called HTC Sense UI and its awesome. and the fact that the Eris is more compact and pocketable.

Sure the moto droid is obviously faster at rendering PDFs and webpages and has a higher resolution screen ect but I dont care, I can do anything on the Eris that the Moto Droid does and the Eris fits nice in my pocket.

Again...HTC Sense UI....yes its that good.

yeah man...I am in the exact same boat. I almost wanted to throw my moto droid against the wall last night. So i am looking into the Iris. Curious on peoples opinions. I either am switching to the Iris or going back to my BB tour.

That was one of the selling points the eris had over the droid (size) and I dont mind waiting a extra second or two, I have been a BB user for years, and I would never go back. love my eris. Everyday I find so many new tricks, just hard to put down.

1. Droid is big, hence the size of the screen. It's what I want in a phone.
  2. Some call it ugly. I like the industrial look & rather not have it look like the iPhone and listen to all the crap fanboys would go on about how Moto copied the iPhone.
Well let's be honest here, the Droid is the biggest smart phone that Verizon is offering to date in total overall size taking into consideration weight also. Bigger than the Storm 2, bigger than the Palm's, bigger than the iPhone. The phone is not only big it's square, awkwardly shaped, and hardly any case can properly and effectively fit the Droid.

Well, I hate to bring facts up to dispute your argument, but.....

The iPhones dimensions are 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3
Droid is 116.8 x 61 x 12.7

The Droid is actually narrower then the iPhone, and it's all of .4 mm thicker. In inches, that's 0.0157 inches!

And by the way, I went to my local Apple store and picked up an iPhone Sena horizontal pouch case, which my Droid fits to a T!

Hardly the big lug you make it out to be!

(The Eris IS a great device, frankly, I think they both are. But don't try to present the Droid like it's some kind of brick. Check out a Droid next to an iPhone, you'll see they are almost identical in size, and I don't think anyone would calll the iPhone unwieldy)

I got the Eris simply because of the size and Sense. After having played with them both at the store I fell in love with the Eris. I actually had no interest in the Eris until I saw the You Tube video that HTC put out on the Sense. From that point on I had my sights sent on the Eris.

I have been hoping that the Passion would release soon, but that looks like a pipe dream now so I'll be living with the Eris for a while.

Now if I can only squeeze some more life out the the battery.

how about addressing some of the concerns some customers of mine had about the Eris. They decided to go with the Eris instead of the droid because of the size, (which yes, the Eris is more visually appealing) but they returned the devices a week later due to these issues:
1) The display would not cut off when in phone call thus causing the user to disconnect the calls several times when trying to cradle the device against shoulder or when (screen function on the DROID works just fine)
2) They were not able to delete threads when using Google Talk. It does give the option to end conversation, but when you click on the contacts name again, the old conversation pops back up. (this is something that 2.0 on the DROID allows.)
3) one Android OS complaint they had (this affects both DROID and ERIS) was that it has seperate inboxes for Mail, Google Talk messages and text messages. They were use to having one message box on their blackberries.

Personally, I'm thoroughly loving my DROID. I've been working with the Eris trying to come up with talking points as to why a customer should choose it over the DROID. So far I haven't found any (besides the $100 price difference and the slightly more appealing exterior) The ERIS is slow, its screen is not as responsive as the DROID's, and the screen is smaller. (smaller device over all) and the OS version is inferior in many ways to 2.0

how about addressing some of the concerns some customers of mine had about the Eris. They decided to go with the Eris instead of the droid because of the size, (which yes, the Eris is more visually appealing) but they returned the devices a week later due to these issues:
1) The display would not cut off when in phone call thus causing the user to disconnect the calls several times when trying to cradle the device against shoulder or when (screen function on the DROID works just fine)
2) They were not able to delete threads when using Google Talk. It does give the option to end conversation, but when you click on the contacts name again, the old conversation pops back up. (this is something that 2.0 on the DROID allows.)
3) one Android OS complaint they had (this affects both DROID and ERIS) was that it has seperate inboxes for Mail, Google Talk messages and text messages. They were use to having one message box on their blackberries.

Personally, I'm thoroughly loving my DROID. I've been working with the Eris trying to come up with talking points as to why a customer should choose it over the DROID. So far I haven't found any (besides the $100 price difference and the slightly more appealing exterior) The ERIS is slow, its screen is not as responsive as the DROID's, and the screen is smaller. (smaller device over all) and the OS version is inferior in many ways to 2.0
It is easy to see that you are not very educated.

[/quote]
It is easy to see that you are not very educated.[/QUOTE]

Please seee your PM's

The conversation is a good one here. I am glad to see some like the Eris more then the Droid and back. The Passion will be out soon and then some will want that. I personally tried the Eris at the store. It wasn't bad, but I preferred the Droid. The sales guy didn't even talk with me about either. Maybe I would have seen more if he did

Back