First and foremost a cell phone-poor voice quality

DocTep

Reaction score
Yes, Verizon finally has a real smart phone. I have waited all these years. But as a phone-so far it has a lot to be desired. About 75% of my calls have voice quality issues. The most common is an echo on the other side. Followed by an echo on my side. Followed by in and out voice-followed by dropped calls. My old cheap LG phone was a Rolls Royce compared to what i am getting with the Droid. I tried the *228. My guess is, that as this problem becomes more obvious-Verizon will fix it-or the dream will die.

No problem with mine....Sounds great.

I have actually had callers compliment the quality. They said it sounds better than my old BB.

Mine also sounds great.
However, I did read about the echo issue and I think it is being addressed in "an alleged"
update on the 11th.

Compared to my 2 yr old razr, the Droid works much better. I was just booking a plane ticket with it and was told it sounded great from their end. I'm happy with it so far.

I guess I am not so lucky. When I talk to some one they sound like they are in a well. And I am told that I break up all the time. I have done the 228 update and all of that and I know its not my location,
because it did it all the way to Florida last week when we went on vacation. Also when I am home I can look out the front window and see the tower. I might have to call Verizon and see about getting a replacement. I came from a 8330 curve which sounded a lot better than this Droid. .

Receiving sounds better than my old Voyager. No complaints on sending. I've heard myself on Voicemail and it sounds good too.

i have been told that this is the best sounding phone i have owned. Incoming call quality is excellent also.

I feel my droid has better voice quality than my last 4 phones, which are bb storm, palm treo 755p, env2, and 1st gen iphone.

From the varied issues people have reported with the Droid, it sounds like there have been some quality control issues with the hardware for early adopters. They don't seem widespread, but they're not rare, either. Problem is, a lot of folks who have been unfortunate enough to get a bad handset have absolutely crucified the phone before stopping to consider they might have a lemon. Glad to see the OP here thinking it thru & deciding to get an exchange. With all this phone can do, it'd be a shame to ditch it for an inferior model, when just getting an exchange will probably do the trick.

Case

For people who come to this thread, are you using a case to protect the phone? I have talked to 4 other people who were using one of the crappy cases that Verizon sells you and people they were talking to reported that it sounded like they were talking through a tunnel.

Try removing the case and see if that improves your audio quality.

Droid 1here; had it since March. Call quality is fine. Using plastic case that doesn't obscure mic or speaker.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back