From Droid 3 (Verizon) to Nexus (Google). Is it possible?

rpatricio1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I currently have a Droid 3 with Verizon. I'm not happy with it (my original Droid was more reliable) because it heats up, crashes and it gets extremely slow (Verizon already sent me a replacement and it is the same).
To add more, Motorola announced that the Droid 3 won't get ICS (really? it is a less than 1-year old phone)...
Anyway. I was thinking to have a pure 'Google experience' with the Nexus that is sold on Google Play. It technical review states that it is an HSPA+/GSM phone that work with "most of the carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile in the U.S." But It doesn't state that it work (or it won't work) with Verizon.
I know that Verizon uses CDMA, but some phones (like the Droid 3 and Droid Global) use GSM technology, so Verizon has added some GSM support for them. If I go to Verizon, they will try to sell me the Verizon's version of the Nexus (which is double price of the one in Google, since my contract expires in more than one year..)

My question is: if I get a Nexus from the Google Play store, would it work if I simply remove the SIM card that is on my Droid 3 and out it on the Nexus?
Anyone has tried that?

Thank you for your answers!

The Droid 3 is not capable of using GSM in the US. Different band here. So the sim card in your GSM Droid 3 won't provide service on a GSM Nexus.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you guys!
I'll look for another solution.

Thank you guys!
I'll look for another solution.
Checkout craigslist or Swappa. Especially with the launch of the s3, I'm sure a couple of Nexus/Nexii are going for a bit cheaper.

Back