From Liberty 2.0.1, Stock, Apex, CM7, etc. (ANY ROM) to Liberty GB

Reaction score
Notice: Before you follow these instructions, please make a backup of everything on your phone that's important to you. I personally recommend Titanium Backup. If you have questions about backing up your data, please ask. Note that when you SBF your phone, you lose everything on it, like text messages, contacts (except the ones stored in Google), apps and app settings, etc. Your SD Card will not be affected. If you do use Titanium Backup or something similar, DO NOT restore System Apps unless you enjoy this process. :)

Notice #2: This process is not as daunting or scary as it seems. I've never seen a report of anyone who couldn't bring their phone back from the dead after an attempted SBF. If you follow these instructions, you'll be up and running in no time. No time means it shouldn't take you any more than an hour. 30 minutes if you're good.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are already on stock Gingerbread, unrooted, with the latest update, you can skip alllll the way down to Step #7 at the bottom.

This thread has been updated with easier instructions including the one-click root method for Droid X on Gingerbread (It's no longer necessary to SBF back to FroYo.)

Method 1 is for Windows, and Method 2 is for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Things you need (Google these if you don't have/can't find them)
--- Things you need for Method 1: Windows ---
1. Windows.
2. RSD Lite 4.9
3. Motorola drivers for the Droid X (here: USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA)
NOTE: Lots of folks are reporting problems with Win7 x64. I recommend if you can't get it to work, use Method 2.

--- Things you need for Method 2: Windows, Linux and Mac ---
1. A PC or Mac (OS doesn't matter.)
2. This .iso file Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! (thanks 1KDS @droidxforums.net)
3. A blank CD

--- Things you need for either method ---
1. VRZ_MB810_4.5.602_1FF_01.sbf (Updated)
2. Droid 3 Easy Root Script (Yes I said Droid 3): (WINDOWS)DROID 3 easy root script v7.zip (MAC/LINUX)droid_easy_root_v7d.zip
3. LGB Bootstrap (Here: http://bit.ly/lgbootstrap - Thanks Koveleski!)
4. Liberty GB 0.x 5. --A 100% CHARGED BATTERY.--

Instructions (follow these EXACTLY. If you deviate, it probably won't work!)

--- Either method ---
1. Copy Liberty 0.x and LGB Bootstrap to your SD card.
2. Put your phone in bootloader mode by turning it off then holding down volume down + camera button + power until you see white text on black background. (You might have to release after a few seconds and click the power button once really quickly to get the screen to come up.)
Note: The 100% charged battery is necessary here because your phone WILL NOT charge in bootloader mode. You have until your battery dies to get your phone SBF'd successfully!

--- Method 1: Windows ---
1. Install the Motorola drivers.
2. Connect your phone to your computer via USB.
3. Install (if you don't have it already) and run RSD Lite 4.9
4. Select your phone (it's the only item in the table), then select ... to choose the SBF file you downloaded, then click Start. Wait for your phone to reboot.
Problems with Step 4:
-- If your phone doesn't show up in RSD Lite, and it is connected and in bootloader mode, your driver install may be bad. Post questions in this thread for help.
-- RSD Lite will probably tell you to manually power up your phone. This means the SBF was successful and you can close RSD Lite and ignore any of the prompts.
-- Your phone will probably get stuck in a boot loop. That's normal. Just continue with the instructions.

--- Method 2: Windows, Linux and Mac ---
1. Burn the .iso to a CD
2. Shut down the computer
3. Boot the computer from CD (If you don't know how, just ask!)
4. Connect the phone to the computer via USB.
5. Hit Enter at the "boot baby... boot" screen (You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes then the script will start.)
6. Follow the on-screen instructions

--- Either method ---
1. Disconnect your phone from the cable, then pull the battery.
2. Reinsert the battery, then hold down Home + Power until the Android with the triangle and exclamation mark come up
3. Press the Volume Up + Down buttons at the same time, then, using the vol. up/dn buttons (up/down) and power button (select) do a wipe data/factory reset, then reboot.
4. Activate your phone normally. (NOTE: I've found that putting the phone in airplane mode by long-pressing the power button just after skipping the activation will get you through the backup screen hoopla much more quickly than waiting for it to fail.)
5. Go to Settings->About Phone->Check for updates and download and install the .605 update.
6. Enable unknown sources in Settings->Applications and USB Debugging in Settings->Applications->Development
7. Reconnect your phone to your PC.
8. Extract the contents of the Easy Root script to a folder and run the appropriate file (.bat for Windows, .sh for Linux/Mac.) Your phone will reboot twice. That's normal.
9. Disconnect your phone from your PC.
10. Install and run LGB Bootstrap, then Bootstrap Recovery, then Reboot Recovery. Phone should reboot into clockwork mod.
12. Install LGB 0.x.
13. Wipe data/factory reset.
14. Reboot and enjoy Liberty GB!

Any issues please post in this thread.

Thanks to:
Koveleski for making this a sticky!
1KDS @droidxforums.net for Method 2!

could you do this while using the Maderstock .340 file and not using a pc?

I really want to upgrade or change roms, yet this seems like more of a hassle then it will a pay off in the long run.

Should take OP only, and make a sticky.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

How should my device show up in RSD lite, something like this?

IMEI/ESN/MEID: N / A
Technology: N / A
Software Version: N / A
Flex Version: N / A
Bootloader Version: v0x003004
DRM Version: N / A
AP Die ID: 0940010c259f3a0a0000d8ff0100
BP Die ID: 0000000000000000b55432890485
AP Public ID: f741ee355db16e8468922ec945686a6d57753a4d
BP Public ID: 040000000500000002000000ffff00002d003289

Here's a reall dumb question. I was running Liberty .08. I screwed up some notification settings so, using Droid 2 Bootstrapper, I reinstalled a 6/15/11 backup. I want to install Liberty .09 but am not sure I'm on the correct GB. (Told you it was dumb) System version is 4.5.596, Android version 2.3.3, Base band .12p. I am rooted. Since I'm on a rooted GB (I think) I should just be able to install .09 (after the appropriate wipes) Is that correct? Thanks.

Here's a reall dumb question. I was running Liberty .08. I screwed up some notification settings so, using Droid 2 Bootstrapper, I reinstalled a 6/15/11 backup. I want to install Liberty .09 but am not sure I'm on the correct GB. (Told you it was dumb) System version is 4.5.596, Android version 2.3.3, Base band .12p. I am rooted. Since I'm on a rooted GB (I think) I should just be able to install .09 (after the appropriate wipes) Is that correct? Thanks.

That's correct. You should be able to just install 0.9 over 0.8 without any issues. Make sure you have a backup though, just in case. :)

By the way, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Thanks Kasey! I don't currently have any liberty running. Do I have to install .08 and then go to .09 or can I just install .09

could you do this while using the Maderstock .340 file and not using a pc?

I really want to upgrade or change roms, yet this seems like more of a hassle then it will a pay off in the long run.

The maderstock .340 method does get you to .340 kind of, but it does not contain all of the files that the SBF has. I am not exactly sure what is missing, but I tried this method on another DX and GB would not install. Your best bet is, if you are wanting to get to GB, is to SBF then install the two part rooted version. Just follow the instructions above. That is the best way.

You may want to add that if it does indeed go into a Bootloop after youve updated the version, when you hold the power + home button down, you need to press the search button to bring the recovery up.

Sounds stupid and minor, yet it was a hold up and i thought i majorly phkd up!

Back