Google Nexus Player Reviews

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's a Nexus Player review for you guys to check out. If you find a review on the web for this device, please post in this thread with a link, so we can have them all in one spot!

Google Nexus Player Review

Having used my Nexus Player for awhile (4-5) months now, I found myself unplugging it and going back to the Chromecast. I feel like the Nexus Player, unlike other Nexus devices, do not have enough support to make me choose it over a Chromecast. Don't get me wrong, if you are an android enthusiasts who love playing with stuff then snag up a Nexus Player. But after playing with Lollirocks (nice Rom by the way) I just feel like I am good with my Roku 3 + Chromecast combination over the Nexus Player.

I like the leanback launcher and feel it is one of the better looking UIs compared to other set top streaming devices. But other than that I felt like the Nexus Player did not stand out in any one area, in fact I felt like what it did was "eh". If the Chromecast was not in play I would be ok with the device (Nexus Player) but with the Chromecast being $25 and all the other options out there (Amazon, Apple, Roku, Nvidia) I can only suggest buying this if you are an android enthusiasts who know what you are getting into and can work their way around rooting and Kodi. Everyone else I am suggesting they spend their money on a Roku or Chromecast.

I played with Android M on the Nexus Player and though I love that they added native external memory support, so far I did not see anything impressive in Android M but I will install the official version and update this thread if anything changes.

Be interesting to read the reviews of others and post how long you had the device.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJM
Quite the opposite here. I unplugged my Chromecast and put it in the box. Actually thought about giving it away. I use my Nexus Player everyday. I haven't put a rom on it yet though. Last thing I flashed on it was 5.1.1 & TWRP.

There's a couple of things I don't like about it. One of my main gripes is the history on YouTube. It doesn't update unless I reboot or force close the app. Which, it seems, I can only do once. If I try to force close it more than once then try again, the force close option is not there. The only thing I use more than the Nexus Player is our Fire TV Stick. But overall, I'm very happy with it

Tapped from a Nexus 6

Quite the opposite here. I unplugged my Chromecast and put it in the box. Actually thought about giving it away. I use my Nexus Player everyday. I haven't put a rom on it yet though. Last thing I flashed on it was 5.1.1 & TWRP.

There's a couple of things I don't like about it. One of my main gripes is the history on YouTube. It doesn't update unless I reboot or force close the app. Which, it seems, I can only do once. If I try to force close it more than once then try again, the force close option is not there. The only thing I use more than the Nexus Player is our Fire TV Stick. But overall, I'm very happy with it

Tapped from a Nexus 6

Maybe I should try re-flashing 5.1.1.

Edit: After giving it another try I still feel like Chromecast is the better device for me.
But thanks for your input @CJM, as we want to make sure users get another perspective other than my own.

Last edited:
Maybe y'all can help me figure out what I should replace my Sony GoogleTV player with.

The things I liked about the GoogleTV box:
1) It was like a mini entertainment device. Cable plugged in so could switch between iNet content/apps and TV easily.
2) Chrome Browser - A lot of the racing I watch I subscribe to and have to stream.

Things I've grown to hate:
1) Slow
2) Laggy
3) Some video formats don't seem to be supported in the Android TV version of Chrome
4) Amazon Prime Video app no longer supported!

What I need:
1) A Browser that supports everything!
2) NetFlix
3) Reasonably easy to use

I like the idea of a dedicated set top box. I've had issues with some of my content not working on Chrome for Android.. even on my phone. If I got a tablet to stream from, that is likely the only thing it would get used for ...

I understand that I can stream from a laptop using Chromecast, but seems like a more cumbersome method. Especially since the laptop is in my office upstairs.

What do y'all think, will the Nexus Player satisfy my minimal requirements ?

!
What I need:
1) A Browser that supports everything!
2) NetFlix
3) Reasonably easy to use

What do y'all think, will the Nexus Player satisfy my minimal requirements ?

1) I'm sure you can find a browser that'll work. I don't use the browser too much to say it can our can't
2) Check
3) Check

Btw, welcome back. Haven't heard from you since the Gnex forums

Tapped from a Nexus 6

1) I'm sure you can find a browser that'll work. I don't use the browser too much to say it can our can't
2) Check
3) Check

Btw, welcome back. Haven't heard from you since the Gnex forums

Tapped from a Nexus 6

Thanks CJ, Are you referring to the Chromecast ? Or the NEXUS box?

Reactions: CJM
Back