Has anyone rooted and deleted bloatware?if so what happened?

I'm not sure but from what I've heard, you need the bloatware or else the OTA doesn't work and messes up your phone. Granted there are some apps that come installed that you can delete (Hotshot golf) without root access but I'm not sure if I should. I guess we'll wait and see. But you may not need any update but it might fix some bugs you weren't aware of.

You guys deleted those apps? :icon_ nono2:

Well yes of course the phone is going to work fine until Verizon sends an OTA update to patch some bugs. That's when you're phone is going to mess up.

Don't take the OTAs

I'm not sure but from what I've heard, you need the bloatware or else the OTA doesn't work and messes up your phone.

This seems to be all I can get from anyone. An "I've heard" that it "messes up the phone." But I've never had anyone say how it messes up the phone. They never give any actual symptoms, just some vague, "someone said it's bad" sort of thing. If someone can name the specific problems then I'm all ears, but otherwise it's just one big game of telephone.

I'm actually really interested in first-hand accounts of what happened to people who deleted bloatware and then had an OTA update, but so far I haven't found any.

...you may not need any update but it might fix some bugs you weren't aware of.

If I'm not aware of the bugs, why do I care if they get fixed? If I'm not aware of them, they obviously aren't affecting me.

Don't take the OTAs

At least with the OG Droid, the OTAs are pushed to the phone by the network. There's no choice in the matter. The OTA is pushed to the phone and the next time you reboot the phone applies the update.

This seems to be all I can get from anyone. An "I've heard" that it "messes up the phone." But I've never had anyone say how it messes up the phone. They never give any actual symptoms, just some vague, "someone said it's bad" sort of thing. If someone can name the specific problems then I'm all ears, but otherwise it's just one big game of telephone.

I'm actually really interested in first-hand accounts of what happened to people who deleted bloatware and then had an OTA update, but so far I haven't found any.

If I'm not aware of the bugs, why do I care if they get fixed? If I'm not aware of them, they obviously aren't affecting me.

if you read my post i deleted some stuff i dont know exactly what did it lol but one of the annoying apps i figured i didnt need i deleted then everything started to pop up force close etc. phone reset and got stuck in boot loop. hard reset didnt help needed to exchange.

I love how some of you just go getting delete happy and then wonder why your phone f-up... Do a lil research before do anything to your phone.. That's what this forum is for..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I love how some of you just go getting delete happy and then wonder why your phone f-up... Do a lil research before do anything to your phone.. That's what this forum is for..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Thats why i made this thread!:blink:

if you read my post i deleted some stuff i dont know exactly what did it lol but one of the annoying apps i figured i didnt need i deleted then everything started to pop up force close etc. phone reset and got stuck in boot loop. hard reset didnt help needed to exchange.

Well no sh*t if you delete critical files you'll screw up the phone. If you don't know what something is, don't delete it. That seemed like such an obvious rule that I didn't think people needed to be reminded.

I wasn't asking for specific symptoms for when someone screws up and deletes things he shouldn't. I was asking for symptoms of deleting files that are known bloat and known disable-able during OTA. So far, I still haven't gotten any confirmation of any issue other than "the OTA won't happen," which isn't something that I care about.

The update script in the ota will check for the presence of all the files. If they've been altered or are missing, the script will abort.

Don't delete files, just rename them to .bak. That way you can re-enable them if needed.

The update script in the ota will check for the presence of all the files. If they've been altered or are missing, the script will abort.

Don't delete files, just rename them to .bak. That way you can re-enable them if needed.

That's what I wanted to know. If that's all that happens, I don't mind giving that up.

I thought they could be refused... Hope I'm right... If I'm wrong, I'll have something to report... :icon_eek:

I am running Launcher Pro, so renamed blur2.apk blur2.bak. Started repeatedly foreclosing, but once I restarted phone everything ran just fine. Thought I screwed phone up for a bit, but no problems now.

So after 2 days of sittin back and reading people experiences on xda and here and also my own personal experience i've decided that at this point in time, there really is no need or reason to root the bionic. I got the bionic 2 days ago, researched that it's rootable and than unrootable so I went ahead and rooted 1st day. I didn't debloat anything as of yet, went to sleep with about an 80% battery charge woke up and the phone was non responsive. Had to do a battery pull to restart it, came to find the battery was fully discharged so luckily I did get the spare battery+charger combo. Pluggged in fresh battery n started right up. I read on xda that someone had that same exact thing happen to them so I know it's not JUST me. So I thought i'd give it the benefit of the doubt and give it 1 more try seeing as how it's the weekend and I won't need the alarm on a Sunday. Made sure I had a fresh 100% battery in the device before falling asleep at 12:30am(but just after setting my alarm on the phone to 5:20am)....woke up on my own at 7:00am. Phone again was non respponsive and had to do a battery pull, this time it restarted on the same battery at 80%.

So all in all, in my own personal experience, it's not worth rooting the Bionic just yet. There is no fix around tethering just yet. There seems to be some bugs that need to be fixed. I think if your rooted and debloating with zero errors to report, more power to you.

Currently unrooting and factory resetting... This phone is amazing enough without needing to root. I know it will only get better in time. So patience is the key. :greendroid:

That's what I wanted to know. If that's all that happens, I don't mind giving that up.
Well, some OTAs really do fix critical bugs. Saying if you are not aware them, why should you care seems, um, shortsighed. How long have you had this phone! A lot of people are very happy with their phone at first, then over time they encounter bugs which are first annoying, then we get the "This phone is a piece of ... " posts.

Also, the next android release will presumably be pushed to the bionic one day, and this will fail if the image on the phone is not what is expected. LOTS of people just found this out with the gb release for the droid 2 global. And at least there is an sbf for that phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Back