Have a droid x, still within 14 day return, worth it to get a thunderbolt?

Darkveld

Reaction score
Currently, I have a droid x rooted and apexed, all ready to go, but the thunderbolt just looks so tempting, should I give it a try? seeing as rooting and roms aren't widely available yet, does that change anything? or will the thunderbolt live up to droid x's reputation? especially with an unlocked bootloader.

I would suggest going to a verizon store and playing with a thunderbolt to judge for yourself. I had the X and liked it but I have the Thunderbolt now and love it. I don't think it will be too much longer before it is cracked wide open for tons of ROMs.

In my opinion It's a no brainer. Stock Tbolt is better than root/rom X.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Last edited:
Currently, I have a droid x rooted and apexed, all ready to go, but the thunderbolt just looks so tempting, should I give it a try? seeing as rooting and roms aren't widely available yet, does that change anything? or will the thunderbolt live up to droid x's reputation? especially with an unlocked bootloader.
Rooting is available as are ROMS. The Dev community is working hard on the TB. We had full root within 3 days after release. I came from the DX, TB all the way for me. Very much worth it. And I loved my DX.

They dont compare man. The TB is screaming even compared to the X. Plus this phone appears like its really going to get some major dev support for it.

Uummmm....
:r_c:

The droid x's reputation? Of having a locked bootloader? no...no it wont.

I would simply because the X is close to its EOL date (March 31). You'll be stuck into an obsolete phone for 2 years... up to you though.

I have a DX, and absolutely love it...but I got it when it came out. To be buying a DX this far down the road is a bad choice. The DX2 is around the corner along with a plethora of other devices.

Go buy a t-bolt and get the most up to date technology, I'd be doing you wrong if I advised you to do otherwise.

Sent from my DROID X

I would, just because a ton of devs have purchased the phone. I feel left behind being stuck with a droid x lol

I would, just because a ton of devs have purchased the phone. I feel left behind being stuck with a droid x lol

Yep kejar got himself one if I'm not mistaken. I got line today and put the DX down and haven't looked back yet. I love it plus if something else comes out before too long you will get more money out of the tbolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

I have both the DX and the TB and based on my experience, the TB makes the DX look slow when it comes to everyday task not involving the internet like homescreen switching, accessing apps, etc. Even with the 3rd party homescreen apps on the market, I still prefer my Sense over Launcher Pro Plus and ADW EX, etc. Don't get me wrong, the DX isn't a slouch by no means at all. Besides having less RAM and a older chipset, I think the biggest difference is that HTC built Sense to fully maximize its use of the chipset. Because this TB was built to fully maximize its chipset, the battery life suffers, but you will be blown away at how fast the TB is.

The DX does have a better battery life hands down when it comes to utilizing the phone performing everyday tasks. In standby mode the DX still manages to conserve battery better than the DX. To put it more into persepctive, I use live wallpaper and auto brightness on the DX, but not on the TB because it drains the TB battery much to fast for me with the phone display brightness set at 20% and the DX still manages to have a longer battery life than the TB.

I don't live in a LTE area, so I can't comment on LTE speeds. But as far as 3G speeds go with the DX vs TB, the TB browser in general jumps out ahead on loading pages, but ends up finishing at the same time the DX does.

Camera quality as well as video quality were about equal, but then again my eyes aren't trained. I think the DX would feel better in most people hands because it isn't as wide as the TB, but the TB screen ratio is better suited for viewing video, etc.

My only gripe about the TB is the battery cover is a pain in the rear to take off. For people that plan to root, the TB is the wave of the near future. For those that are looking for the fastest and smoothest phone on VZW, the TB is for you. For those that aren't into rooting and just want a fast phone, I would recommend the DX unless you are looking for the latest technology. For those who want the best battery life, the DX is the way to go especially with the DX2 about to surface here in the 2nd quarter, which means VZW could pratically be giving DX devices away to keep up with 3rd party sellers like Amazon and Wirefly, etc.

Last edited:
+1! Though I can see a noticeable difference in cameras, with the better one being the TB :)

I have both the DX and the TB and based on my experience, the TB makes the DX look slow when it comes to everyday task not involving the internet like homescreen switching, accessing apps, etc. Even with the 3rd party homescreen apps on the market, I still prefer my Sense over Launcher Pro Plus and ADW EX, etc. Don't get me wrong, the DX isn't a slouch by no means at all. Besides having less RAM and a older chipset, I think the biggest difference is that HTC built Sense to fully maximize its use of the chipset. Because this TB was built to fully maximize its chipset, the battery life suffers, but you will be blown away at how fast the TB is.
The DX does have a better battery life hands down when it comes to utilizing the phone performing everyday tasks. In standby mode the DX still manages to conserve battery better than the DX. To put it more into persepctive, I use live wallpaper and auto brightness on the DX, but not on the TB because it drains the TB battery much to fast for me with the phone display brightness set at 20% and the DX still manages to have a longer battery life than the TB.

I don't live in a LTE area, so I can't comment on LTE speeds. But as far as 3G speeds go with the DX vs TB, the TB browser in general jumps out ahead on loading pages, but ends up finishing at the same time the DX does.

Camera quality as well as video quality were about equal, but then again my eyes aren't trained. I think the DX would feel better in most people hands because it isn't as wide as the TB, but the TB screen ratio is better suited for viewing video, etc.

My only gripe about the TB is the battery cover is a pain in the rear to take off. For people that plan to root, the TB is the wave of the near future. For those that are looking for the fastest and smoothest phone on VZW, the TB is for you. For those that aren't into rooting and just want a fast phone, I would recommend the DX unless you are looking for the latest technology. For those who want the best battery life, the DX is the way to go especially with the DX2 about to surface here in the 2nd quarter, which means VZW could pratically be giving DX devices away to keep up with 3rd party sellers like Amazon and Wirefly, etc.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

Back