How Are You Using Your TecTiles?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just got a pack of 5 of these TecTile stickers... won't have a chance to mess with them for awhile today, but thought I'd start a thread where people can share how they're using their TecTiles.

Just to start off with something simple - the Samsung rep at the T-Mobile store said she has one in her car - all she does is swipe her phone over it and the phone automatically goes to car mode.

So, those who have them - in what creative ways (or non-creative ;)) are you using them??

I'll be using them to message the wife I'm on my way home. Still need to buy mine. Probably place one near the door at home to inform wife and daughter I'm home.

I'm very interested in these, but I feel like I need to know WHAT I'm using them for before I buy, so I'll be looking forward to this thread.

I've heard a couple recommendations (on this forum or other places around the web):
- Turn wifi on entering the house and wifi off leaving the house with stickers by the door
- Set morning alarm and turn phone to silent with stickers in the bedroom

Here's a video posted by Debian Dog over on our sister s3 site:

[video=youtube;KmLw3vIqBO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmLw3vIqBO4[/video]

I personally wouldn't buy the TecTiles stickers unless they have greater capabilities than regular NFC tags. I plan on buying 10 or so from tagstand - NFC Products Catalog and using them for things like Wi-Fi near the door of my home and possibly start playing music in my car :)

Had trouble buying the Samsung techtile locally. The line was a one hour wait or didn't know what I was talking about.

Bought 6 indoor class 1 Nfc stickers from Tag stand.

so what's the difference in the class 1 nfc tags vs. the tectiles? deeper capabilities?

Another question I have is concerning the appearance of the stickers. I know you can order blank white ones but does anyone know a way to put an image onto the sticker? (Such as a Wi-Fi logo or something indicating what the tag does)

I want to know what is really different between these tectiles and a QR Code, other than the fact that these use near-field communications to convey data. It seems to me an application could be created that would use QR Codes to accomplish the same thing, right?

I think the blank units can be written on with sharpie. I couldn't find the actual specs on the Samsung units. I also didn't look real hard. From what I read the class 1 is future safe. The class 2 and other "lite" units might not work with newer phones. I'll be using a Nexus and Gs3 for nfc. When the IPhone receives nfc it would be nice to only worry about one infrastructure.

I want to know what is really different between these tectiles and a QR Code, other than the fact that these use near-field communications to convey data. It seems to me an application could be created that would use QR Codes to accomplish the same thing, right?

I'm not sure of the depth of a QR code, but with these you can set it to change multiple items on one tag I believe. Also you'd have to have the camera always looking for the QR code, which would likely use more battery than having NFC enabled, I would assume anyway. But I'm just brainstormin'!

Samsung rep said the tectiles can be wiped/re-done 100k times...

Am I the only 1 that thinks these are absolutely pointless?

Am I the only 1 that thinks these are absolutely pointless?

Maybe so! As far as I know NFC tags have a ton of different uses. Even though they're mostly for convenience, I still think it's cool that this technology can automate several tasks with such a simple action and that creating the tags is (seemingly) easy. :biggrin:

Skyrocketing said:
Maybe so! As far as I know NFC tags have a ton of different uses. Even though they're mostly for convenience, I still think it's cool that this technology can automate several tasks with such a simple action and that creating the tags is (seemingly) easy. :biggrin:

Still seams like a waste of money for something u can just do by pressing buttons

Back