How is Wi-Fi used!?

GoDroidGo

Reaction score
I understand that the Droid is capable of Wi-Fi use in order to speed up the internet access or use it in the absence of a verizon signal. My question is, how is it used? In other words, when I connect to a network on my Droid, which applications utilize the network and what happens to the Verizon signals? Say I'm connected, does ALL of my internet data go through the network and NONE through Verizon? Does it do a combination of the two? Does the youtube app, browser app, gmail app, and all other internet apps all automatically make use of the network connection?

Also, when connected to wi-fi, I assume my transactions are only as secure as the network I'm connected to. Is there any reason to even use wi-fi other than to speed up some youtube videos? Thanks.

WiFi will take over whatever your data uses; browser, IM app, etc.

If your wifi signal is out of range it will automatically switch to data.

as for security, yes your info is as secure as the network. however, i don't imagine anyone making say an online purchase with their Droid although i see nothing against it.

i do all the time through app market and on ebay the other day. but i think info for app purchases is linked with your account so nevermind

as for security, yes your info is as secure as the network. however, i don't imagine anyone making say an online purchase with their Droid although i see nothing against it.
I've made purchases on my Droid with no issues thus far :)

Gotcha... But it doesn't use it for calls and text messages, correct?

Gotcha... But it doesn't use it for calls and text messages, correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct, your voice and sms will still go over Verizon's network.

It uses Verizon's network, but not for data when calling and texting. Calling and texting do not use data.

I understand that the Droid is capable of Wi-Fi use in order to speed up the internet access or use it in the absence of a verizon signal. My question is, how is it used?

Another use is to be able to go on the internet while being on a call - even though there are commercials from another company saying you can't :)

I understand that the Droid is capable of Wi-Fi use in order to speed up the internet access or use it in the absence of a verizon signal. My question is, how is it used?

Another use is to be able to go on the internet while being on a call - even though there are commercials from another company saying you can't :)

They are 100% correct about what they are saying in their commercial. They are saying that network only vs network only, Verizon smartphones, the Droid in this case, cannot browse the web while on a call, while AT&T smartphones can browse the web while on a call (both phones without WiFi).

They are 100% correct about what they are saying in their commercial. They are saying that network only vs network only, Verizon smartphones, the Droid in this case, cannot browse the web while on a call, while AT&T smartphones can browse the web while on a call (both phones without WiFi).

They may be correct in the commercial but the question at hand here is what can be done with Wifi. And with Wifi enabled you can browse and talk on the phone at the same time.

like i said, nothing against it.

I've done some shopping through my Droid, but I wait til i get to my home computer to buy the item. :icon_ banana:

Is there any reason to even use wi-fi other than to speed up some youtube videos? Thanks.
Youtube certainly isn't the only thing that benefits from added speed. As for reasons, depends on who you ask. I really don't use it. Others find it useful.

If you're using the GV app for text it uses data and not the Verizon network.

They may be correct in the commercial but the question at hand here is what can be done with Wifi.
True, but you did bring up the commercials in this thread and savio was clarifying the matter.

Last edited:
I have full strength WiFi available but my phone just spins when trying to download a web page and many times just times out. Is there a possiblilty that i am doing something wrong with my WiFi set up. This seems to happen when I have limited bars on the data side of the phone.

Same here. Amazon makes it far too easy (mixed blessing). haha

I have full strength WiFi available but my phone just spins when trying to download a web page and many times just times out. Is there a possiblilty that i am doing something wrong with my WiFi set up. This seems to happen when I have limited bars on the data side of the phone.

Try downloading the "speedtest" app from the Market and use it with both 3G and Wifi by turning your WiFi off and on. See what that comparison tells you.

It's possible, of course, that you've misconfigured Wifi on your phone, but if it works part of the time, it clearly isn't a misconfiguration in your phone. Since you say it's "your" WiFi setup, I'm assuming you have a home network. How does your desktop/laptop perform? Any similar issues?

About 90% of the time my phone is sitting about 12 inches from my Wifi router connected to a cable modem. Thus, I use wifi almost all the time. And while my Droid's browser is not as quick as my desktop system, the wifi performance is typically 10-15 times faster than 3G.

Back