How to install system apks?

hgrimberg

Reaction score
I am using a custom rom and i am trying to get the 3G Mobile hotspot app back . So what i did was to copy the original apk and odex files from the system folder of a stock rom into my SD card. Now i am trying to install it in my phone Whit the stock rom and it fails when trying to install it. What should i do?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Bootstrap into recovery and select install zip from SD card

If its not Boeing, I'm not going! Team Boeing ROCKS!!!

Don't you havd a thread open for this? If so keep it to one thread. Maybe it was some one else. Try searching for that thread see if there was a solution you might want to sbf back to stock. Root. Back up your hot spot apk to your sd card using root explorer or similar. This will get you the odexed version. Had similar problems when trying deodexed system apps from the stock deodoxed rom here.

Bootstrap into recovery and select install zip from SD card

If its not Boeing, I'm not going! Team Boeing ROCKS!!!

What zip file? I dont have a zip file, just an apk and its odex.

Don't you havd a thread open for this? If so keep it to one thread. Maybe it was some one else. Try searching for that thread see if there was a solution you might want to sbf back to stock. Root. Back up your hot spot apk to your sd card using root explorer or similar. This will get you the odexed version. Had similar problems when trying deodexed system apps from the stock deodoxed rom here.

No, just this thread. I searched all over and there Is not a good answer. I cant back up using root explorer. Were you thinking about titanium back up? How do you deodex an apk and its odex to go back to the real apk?

Well, the app Wireless tether that can be found on the Market is probably a virus according to avg, so maybe getting the stock 3g mobile hotspot is wiser. I am not on verizon so they cant charge me for using it. Only thing i dont know is if they probably put some sort of data speed reducer so that we dont use a lot data.

Most tether apps will show as a virus to avg, fyi. Parts of the program have script that avg finds intrusive. Barnacle works fine for wireless and easy tether for usb. I have only used them in emergencies when out and about, but experienced no issues. The stock app to be loaded will need to be pushed to the app folder or you can try moving the app to the app folder manually and click on the apk. Should insttall. If not, try barnacle.

Sent from a D2G Dark Angel

I tried copying the apk and its odex to system/app and then clicked on the apk to install it but at the end it says Application not installed. The other possibility could be to just place the apk and the odex on the app folder and do nothing, just reboot?
In any case, does the stock 3g hotspot app have some limitation on the data speed so that Verizon benefits from not delivering too much data? Therefor it is better to use another one from the market?

Most tether apps will show as a virus to avg, fyi. Parts of the program have script that avg finds intrusive. Barnacle works fine for wireless and easy tether for usb. I have only used them in emergencies when out and about, but experienced no issues. The stock app to be loaded will need to be pushed to the app folder or you can try moving the app to the app folder manually and click on the apk. Should insttall. If not, try barnacle.

Well, the app Wireless tether that can be found on the Market is probably a virus according to avg, so maybe getting the stock 3g mobile hotspot is wiser. I am not on verizon so they cant charge me for using it. Only thing i dont know is if they probably put some sort of data speed reducer so that we dont use a lot data.

Ditch AVG. Antiviruses are not need for android. The thing you need to do is look at the permissions the app is requesting. For example a music player should not need access to your contacts or dialer. If they do they are likley spyware and can use your dialer to make international calls costing you a ton of money.

As for verizon, if your not using them as your service provider, no they wont charge you for tethering, but the principal is the same. You tether, your carrier can find out, and they will tell you they are going to add a tethering plan to your account. Tethering uses 3G so you have to have a service provider to use it.

The stock 3g hotspot requires a tethering plan from verizon. This sounded like what you were referring to, so if you dont use vzw and dont have a tether plan from them forget about it.

I tried copying the apk and its odex to system/app and then clicked on the apk to install it but at the end it says Application not installed. The other possibility could be to just place the apk and the odex on the app folder and do nothing, just reboot?
In any case, does the stock 3g hotspot app have some limitation on the data speed so that Verizon benefits from not delivering too much data? Therefor it is better to use another one from the market?

The only option you have is using a third party tethering app, not the official vzw tether app that comes stock, and it requires you to have a tethering plan.

Your comments are throwing me off a bit here but I assume you are using the D2G on another network other then verizon? Because unless you have a 3G data plan, which i think any carrier would require with this phone, you will not be able to tether. It is possible to use this phone as a data only device over wi-fi, so it may sound like it would be obvious you have a voice and data plan, I am not going to assume that based on your comments here.

Ditch AVG. Antiviruses are not need for android. The thing you need to do is look at the permissions the app is requesting. For example a music player should not need access to your contacts or dialer. If they do they are likley spyware and can use your dialer to make international calls costing you a ton of money.

As for verizon, if your not using them as your service provider, no they wont charge you for tethering, but the principal is the same. You tether, your carrier can find out, and they will tell you they are going to add a tethering plan to your account. Tethering uses 3G so you have to have a service provider to use it.

The stock 3g hotspot requires a tethering plan from verizon. This sounded like what you were referring to, so if you dont use vzw and dont have a tether plan from them forget about it.

The only option you have is using a third party tethering app, not the official vzw tether app that comes stock, and it requires you to have a tethering plan.

Your comments are throwing me off a bit here but I assume you are using the D2G on another network other then verizon? Because unless you have a 3G data plan, which i think any carrier would require with this phone, you will not be able to tether. It is possible to use this phone as a data only device over wi-fi, so it may sound like it would be obvious you have a voice and data plan, I am not going to assume that based on your comments here.

The stock 3G mobile hotspot used to work even though I was not on Verizon. So it tethers no matter if you have a tether plan from Verizon. I am on another GSM carrier and have a data plan and since I am not in the US, the carriers here dont chase you and try charging you more when they find out you are tethering. So, my question is if the stock app from Verizon has a data speed reducer of some sort or if it is just the same as a third party tethering app. Did somebody measure the internet speed using one and the other?

I believe the only difference was access point versus ad hoc. There isn't a speed difference. The idea it would is absurd as they are the same radios and base protocols used....

Back