IMAP marking messages read on server

not sure if this helps, but i had a problem with imap not syncing earlier today and here's how i fixed it:

1) go into settings -> applications -> manage applications
2) click "all"
3) find gmail and clear all data and cache
4) reopen gmail. it'll take a second to sync up, but when it did it fixed the problem completely for me

I was having some trouble setting up the direct connection to my Exchange server (which is still running Exchange 2003 and due for an upgrade in the next month or so to 2010) so I just used the default email client to connect using IMAP or POP to a couple of my accounts. Whenever the phone downloads a new message it marks the message on my server as read, even if I have not viewed the message on the phone. This is not even close to the behavior I expect, it should only mark a message read if I've actually opened it on the phone. I don't particularly want to clutter up the phone with thousands of messages, so I want to be able to just delete them as they come in, unread, unless the message is important enough for me to open and read it. I expect the server to keep the messages until I connect with my desktop client and deal with them there. Am I just expecting more of my new phone than I got with the three year old Blackberry I switched from? Or do I need to download a different app for email since the default client is broken?

I see that someone here asked the same question over a year ago for his Android phone and never got an answer other than 'use Gmail'... :-(

Well, so far I've been unable to find a workaround to deal with this problem... There don't seem to be any email clients that gather messages from Exchange correctly, unless the corporate sync function works right. I've had to just remove my email accounts from the phone, except the gmail account (which I don't use). Hopefully someone will come up with a fix eventually, but seeing the duration this bug has been active I'm not going to hold out much hope. :-(

Back