Is Advanced Task Killer really doing anything?

qqqqqqqman

Reaction score
I'm new to the Android OS and the Droid X, so I don't know how ATK works. I guess I know what it's SUPPOSED to do, but I'm not seeing it.

Simply put, when I tap the ATK icon and then "Kill selected apps" it kills all those apps that are checked off, so I guess they are not actively running and consuming battery. Seems fine, HOWEVER.....

ONE MINUTE LATER, if I tap the ATK icon and check what's running....they are all back running again. Even things that I NEVER have used and things that have not been used in that last minute. Things like: Skype, Social Networking, Fox News, Amazon MP3, VZ Navigator, and Music. In fact, the Music app never gets killed off, even when checked, and I have no music downloaded yet.

So, what is happening? Why do I bother to "kill apps" when they all come back a minute later even without use? Am I supposed to do this all day? :confused::wacko:

Or am I not doing things correctly?

no task killers. Android os has its own native task manager that will handle all the apps. The task killers are a stay over from the days of donut and eclair (previous android versions)

It may appear as if apps are running in the background but they are more like ready to start running than actually running. Using a task killer to auto kill apps ends up being a waste of energy because as soon as you kill everything, android will just start stuff up again. Best practice is to use the back button and not the home button to exit an app because that will tell the os that you are done with it and the os will then deal with it in a timely manner.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

See if that helps. I have a link i'll post in a minute

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Heh if you see no results then why use it? I say uninstall it . Its not needed. Root your phone and get an app to "freeze" the apps you don't want to startup automatically.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Hmmm, I guess my question has some validity then. Actually, the salesman at Verizon suggested ATK and installed it while still in the store. Yeah, maybe I don't need it.

I'll read more up on your link when posted, spaz....

Task killers work you just have to know what apps can be killed and which ones cant. You cant really kill all the bloatware it will just start up again. Way to get rid of the bloat is to root and remove manually or flash a ROM that has it removed which is most of them. But i suggest to just remove it because their really isnt a need for it because, like stated before, the OS already does that.

Try rooting and using a process manager. It will make the phone run a lot faster without interfering with froyos native task manager.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

From what I read on many forums, ATK is actually harming your phone. I uninstalled it a couple weeks ago and so far no problems.

Back