I've gone to the darkside and rooted

I set everything to that guide except that I am running 250 min and not 125.

We'll see how it performs and my battery lasts.

I can tell you that the Droid runs way smoother and faster now that I'm running 1000.

Now that I've gone over to the darkside what should I do next? Already downloaded the tethering stuff.

Definitely find a ROM of your liking. Bugless Beast, CyanogenMod, and Simply Stunning are just some of the more popular ones.

Easiest way to load them up is to download ROM Manager from the market (paid version gives access to more ROMS, themes, and kernels).

The next step in your quest is to find a theme that appeals to your needs. Do you like colorful themes or minimalistic ones? There are dozens to choose from, and if you ever get bored of one you can always switch to another. (However, make sure the theme you are interested in works with the ROM you are using).

Lastly, compare different kernels. You have a choice of Ultra Low Voltage, Low Voltage, and Medium Voltage kernels. The latter uses the most battery (thus can lead to overheating), the LV is in the middle, and the ULV runs coolest and only *sips* your battery.

Enjoy

Well I had to download a kernal to overclock. I am using one that's 250/1000 and medium voltage. I had no idea what the difference was about voltages. Is there an advantage to a medium?

I couldn't care less about themes.

I have a rom manager I downloaded already.

Generally, the lower the kernel voltage, the better your battery life and less heat generated. Go with as low a voltage kernel your Droid can run without FCs and other glitches like boot looping at startup. If you have problems, install a kernel with a higher voltage.

Im running a P3 Kernal Standard Voltage 1000... it's on his website

Rom Manager

Set CPU.

It took me so long to get the one working that I'm honestly afraid to change anything.

Do I need to do a nandroid backup?

Im backing it up now with Rom Manager...

But I still don't want to screw it up. Took way too long to get it working.

It took me so long to get the one working that I'm honestly afraid to change anything.

Do I need to do a nandroid backup?

Most definitely. :)

Also, uncheck the Set on Boot option in Set CPU before making your nandroid backup and loading kernels. Throttle back your set CPU setting closer to stock (550, 600Mhz). This is so you don't get stuck in boot loops if you load a new kernel that isn't compatible with your Droid. If it boots at a high setting like 1000mhz, and it doesn't like it, it will boot loop and you will be forced to do a nandroid restore of your old setup.

Once you load the new kernel and boot up, go to SetCPU and then you can increase your CPU speed and test for stability.

Since I spent the .99 cents to root
Where is this so called app. I thought all of them had been removed of the market.
As for the three hours.......LOL
It took longer that that to root mine the first time. Took about 2 the second one I did and finally took about 30 minutes to unroot and root again today.
Yea I'm a slow learner, but I'm getting a lot better.

Last edited:
I just backed it up using the standard Rom Manager - I assume that's enough.

I don't feel a need to load a new Kernal unless one comes out that's an improvement on the P3 Kernel I just set up. Right now my battery is fine - I have SetCpu managing it.

But other than overclocking, and getting wifi tether, what else is there to do?

Why would I want to load someones ROM? I don't care if it looks customized.

Since I spent the .99 cents to root
Where is this so called app. I thought all of them had been removed of the market.

Do a Google search for Easy Root and follow the links to Unstableapps dot com. Technically, I can't post a link to paid apps on this forum that aren't supporting vendors on this forum. ;)

Just had my first reboot while the phone was just sitting there doing nothing.

Back