Java and JavaScript on Droid

hsteiger

Reaction score
To Whom It May Concern (maybe an Adroid OS developer perhaps?):

If you are by a PC, please go to this National Weather Service (NWS) website to display a loop of radar reflectivity data...

NWS radar image loop of Base Reflectivity from Nashville, TN

Now go to this same address on your DROID and see if you can get the loop working. The images should begin looping in a moment after they load. My Droid will not loop NWS data (radar, satellite, etc.).

To display looping radar data from the NWS, you have to have both Java and JavaScript on your phone. I checked the settings for the browser on my Droid and I do have JavaScript enabled. But I don't see any mention that JAVA is also on the DROID.

When I had an LG DARE phone, I could loop this data, but not on my Droid. And the Droid is a huge step up from the LG DARE, but yet it cannot loop this data. Go figure!

QUESTIONS...

1) I'd like to know if anyone with a Droid can loop the data at the above link?

2) Is there any way I can get my DROID to use JAVA too so I can loop this data?

3) Does anyone know whether a future version of the Android OS will include JAVA on the DROID so I'll be able to loop this data?

4) And while I'm at it, one needs AXIS Media Control software on a phone to be able to view some traffic camera sites that show live video. When might one be able to install this software on a DROID so live video from these sites can be viewed?

IF THIS IS NOT THE BEST PLACE TO ASK THESE QUESTIONS, PLEASE DIRECT ME TO A DIFFERENT PART OF THIS FORUM OR ANOTHER FORUM SO I CAN GET THEM ANSWERED.

Thanks for any responses.

Henry

Since the LG Dare doesn't support Java, and only did a poor job (at best) on JavaScript, I am going to guess that you were actually using mobile.weather.gov (the wap edition) which uses animated GIFS to display the loop. Unfortunately Droid does not support animated GIFS (a sort point seen on many MMS complaint threads).

The Droid actually does support Java, but I guess not in web pages, there would need to be an app for that.

Axis Media control actually uses an ActiveX control for its viewer. Until they write that viewer in another format, it will never be supported on the Droid.

Jay:

Thanks for shedding a little light on this.

Actually in both cases, using my previous DARE phone and my new Droid phone, I go directly to the NWS pages, not mobileweather.gov. So what the DARE could do in regard to looping NWS data, the Droid cannot. Go figure!

I work as a meteorologist at the NWS, so I use our web pages when at all possible. And now with the Droid, this is especially true. I swear to the best of my memory that I was able to loop data from the NWS web pages with the DARE.

Thanks again for your insight. If you know of a way for me to converse with the Android OS developers, please let me know. They would know if anyone would regarding my questions.
Henry

Back