just got a droid! rooting and rom recommendations?

no problem :) just glad i have someone to help me through this.

okay so i did it, now it says:

Current Recovery: SPRecovery 0.99.3b
Latest Recovery: ClockworkMod 2.5.0.1

is this right? and if so, am i done?

Last edited:
I would recommend you grab ROM Manager. It's easy to pick whatever ROM you want and then basically do a one-click flash. It's very user friendly and there are many choices for ROMs

no problem :) just glad i have someone to help me through this.

okay so i did it, now it says:

Current Recovery: SPRecovery 0.99.3b
Latest Recovery: ClockworkMod 2.5.0.1

is this right? and if so, am i done?
Now you can follow those instructions.

so i finished that now. am i free to experiment with roms and apps?

Yes. But make a Nandroid backup first. :) Then go play. :D

where is that done? and thanks for all the help and patience! feel like i asked a million questions. finally done though! :) are there any apps that you recommend? right now i'm still trying to decide between chevy and UD. gonna read into those more. just out of curiousity, has a method to dual boot been made yet?

That's done from SPRecovery. BACKUP/RESTORE menu option.

As for apps, I recommend Titanium Backup, Wireless Tethering, Wired Tethering (both available from links in my signature), Terminal Emulator, and beyond that you'll need to look into it yourself. :)

As for the ROMs, UD always seems to have more bugs than I feel comfortable in a ROM I recommend, but people love it. Simply Stunning is a good ROM and the Dev is a great guy.

That's done from SPRecovery. BACKUP/RESTORE menu option.

As for apps, I recommend Titanium Backup, Wireless Tethering, Wired Tethering (both available from links in my signature), Terminal Emulator, and beyond that you'll need to look into it yourself. :)

As for the ROMs, UD always seems to have more bugs than I feel comfortable in a ROM I recommend, but people love it. Simply Stunning is a good ROM and the Dev is a great guy.

cool thanks! gonna do that recovery, then take a look at those apps. tethering is pretty useless, because i have no verizon service. :p

like i said, gonna read into the roms. i've dealt with modded electronics and tried certain firmwares/versions/etc. of software thats been claimed to be buggy, but i've been lucky enough to not encounter major problems. :) so i'll try my luck with UD for now.

hey uh how am i supposed to install roms with SPRecovery? it says i need ClockworkMod. furbearinganimal, you said something about tricking the phone or something before?

Rename update.zip, place on root of SD card, reboot into recovery, make nandroid (simple is fine) backup, allow update.zip install, install update.zip, reboot.

ah and then after that then do a restore with the nandroid backup right? once again thanks.

oh. so the backup is a precaution then?

Back