LG G4 High-End Specs Leaked; Reveals a Disturbing Trend

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-logo-super-shiny.jpg

It's that time of the year again... rumors regarding the specs and features of high-end devices are flying across the web. This latest intel seeks to shed light on LG's upcoming flagship, the LG G4. Its specs were supposedly leaked, and they are exactly as you would expect them to be.

Here's the breakdown from the leak:
  • 5.3-inch display with Quad HD (2K) resolution
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 16-megapixel rear camera
  • Android 5.0
While this internal hardware is undoubtedly very powerful, we can't help but make a frustrating observation. A pattern has emerged in the flagship Android smartphone market that is even more pronounced this year than ever before. All of the top new phones of this year will be virtually identical to each other on the inside. There will basically be almost nothing that distinguishes them from each other besides their outer aesthetics and a few software gimmicks here and there.

Obviously, this has been occurring for the last couple of years, but this year in particular we see the hardware reach a parity across the board that is completely flat. Basically all of the top flagship phones will have the same CPU, GPU, RAM, Display and Camera. Very little will be left to distinguish them from one another. Have we already hit that saturation point for Android devices? What will it take for these OEMs to create something truly different and innovative? Sound off with your ideas!

For more LG G4 Discussions we created a new section right here: LG G4 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: PhoneArena

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I think this stems from the fact that there are actually very few hardware manufacturers that can help your product stand apart from others.

LG has finally gotten into the SoC game and we're supposed to be releasing their own in house SoC. If this rumor is true then it looks like they aren't ready to put down the Qualcomm crutch yet.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's a commodity and has been for some time. The only reason prices aren't dropping significantly is because of carrier subsidies.

And the "disturbing" trend is creeping ever higher above 5" displays. There's only so much that can be done on internals - CPU's far exceed demands of users and apps. Superior GPU's only matter to gamers who, for some reason, are playing complex games on a tiny smartphone. And 3gigs of ram is pretty well above current demands of users and apps. The issue with cameras is not more megapixels but better lenses. Anything above 1080p is overkill.

Only areas I see to differentiate, at this point, are figuring out how to get bigger batteries in there. And things like telescoping lenses and superior camera lenses. Maybe a 2nd SD slot (heck, Moto still often doesn't give you one). Dual-speakers, too, although again I don't really see the need for it.

Maybe think about offering high-end phones smaller than 5"!!! Also, maybe remember people still use these for phones. Speakerphone, in particular, have almost always fallen well short of business-level quality.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I just got my Nexus 6 and think this may be the phone that I use for a while. I got it because of the guarenteed updates from Google for 18 or so months as well as community support on a Nexus device for usually much longer. To me the future updates are the feature I wanted. Tired of companies saying "We'll update them before X date" and then miss that date or just not update at all. I'd love to see some NVidia chips in phones but that hasn't really happened.

I think the 'new thing' needs to happen. Smartphones were a huge jump in cell phones. Whats next, I wish I knew so I can get rich from it...but it needs to happen.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Maybe think about offering high-end phones smaller than 5"!!! Also, maybe remember people still use these for phones. Speakerphone, in particular, have almost always fallen well short of business-level quality.

You just have to face the fact that the majority of people anymore don't want a phone that small. You can have something 5+" and be completely comfortable in the hand. The original Moto X, though it feels comfortable, is just too small for what smartphones are capable of anymore. The majority of the time most people are using their smartphone anymore isn't making phone calls, it's anything but.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Totally agree. Most of my smartphone use has nothing to do with actual talking. I do see the need for the cellular radio for other than data though if you have a job that requires a lot of phone calls.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The differences are small, but there.

Before buying the note 4, I seriously considered the moto x. I even went to moto maker & designed what I would want.

Side from deciding I wanted the bigger screen, the thing that sold me was the camera. I looked at a lot of test shots from each device & the note handled low light situations much better. That clenched the deal.
If the cameras had been the same, I may well have ended up with the moto, because I wasn't sure about the screen size until I got the note in my hand.

That said, there's definitely still a (small) market for smaller screens. My gf really doesn't want anything much bigger than the s4 I gave her when I got the note for the simple fact that she wants to put it in her pocket when she's not carrying a purse.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
Totally agree. Most of my smartphone use has nothing to do with actual talking. I do see the need for the cellular radio for other than data though if you have a job that requires a lot of phone calls.
I remember a few years ago when I switched to Verizon and asking if they could just offer me a plan with no minutes essentially just a data plan, or something with less than the 400 minutes a month they were offering. At that time they looked at me like I was weirdo lol

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I remember a few years ago when I switched to Verizon and asking if they could just offer me a plan with no minutes essentially just a data plan, or something with less than the 400 minutes a month they were offering. At that time they looked at me like I was weirdo lol

With VOIP and my Unlimited Data package I don't think I use 45 minutes a month. Even my old school parents use VOIP.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use about 28 minutes a month according to the fellow from vzw that called to double check my decisions when I changed plans to get the note.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
With VOIP and my Unlimited Data package I don't think I use 45 minutes a month. Even my old school parents use VOIP.

I use about 28 minutes a month according to the fellow from vzw that called to double check my decisions when I changed plans to get the note.

Here's my actual usage for the month, and my billing cycle doesn't end until the 22nd. So I guess I'm an extreme opposite to you guys.

In fact my monthly plan is 1400 minutes but I got the warnings and so I had to pump my coverage up to 2000 minutes for this month just so I wouldn't go over. It's only $10 more for the 2000 minute plan, but if you go over they charge you some crazy rate per minute once you exceed your plan allotment so it makes more sense to just pay the extra $10 up front and move the plan up to the next allotment. It's done retroactive so it covers me from December 23rd forward.

40f68b7843a7b2a1615b0615b0be2cef.jpg

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Here's my actual usage for the month, and my billing cycle doesn't end until the 22nd. So I guess I'm an extreme opposite to you guys.

In fact my monthly plan is 1400 minutes but I got the warnings and so I had to pump my coverage up to 2000 minutes for this month just so I wouldn't go over. It's only $10 more for the 2000 minute plan, but if you go over they charge you some crazy rate per minute once you exceed your plan allotment so it makes more sense to just pay the extra $10 up front and move the plan up to the next allotment. It's done retroactive so it covers me from December 23rd forward.

40f68b7843a7b2a1615b0615b0be2cef.jpg

My cycle ends on the 3rd. Apparently I've been chatty this month.
c350f59ad591f4f7e9c95f715e4fe745.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My cycle ends on the 3rd. Apparently I've been chatty this month.
c350f59ad591f4f7e9c95f715e4fe745.jpg

Holy crap, do you ever actually turn your phone on?

Looks like you do better with an old fashioned text-based pager.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Holy crap, do you ever actually turn your phone on?

Looks like you do better with an old fashioned text-based pager.

Would need a serious data plan/wifi.

This is where my usage is:
2106f083b53e55122d673246e23ff98a.jpg

If I wasn't a homebody with an average 40mpbs down network, I'd be in trouble. Haha