Liberty GB 0.5 + tether

KestrylX

Reaction score
Having issues tethering with LGB0.5. When I fire up wireless tether it launches the built in wifi-hotspot app. Then, when I try to browse it takes me to the VZW website trying to sell me their tether subscription. However, tethering works just fine on another DroidX that I have that is stock Froyo+root.

Having issues tethering with LGB0.5. When I fire up wireless tether it launches the built in wifi-hotspot app. Then, when I try to browse it takes me to the VZW website trying to sell me their tether subscription. However, tethering works just fine on another DroidX that I have that is stock Froyo+root.

The new gingerbread that the roms are built off of have a built in way to block unauthorized tethering apps. It basically forces you to sign up for a plan.

huh, that's strange. I'm on GB 0.5 and i can wireless tether with no problems.
Didn't do any thing special, just installed GB .5 and restored wireless tether.

Last edited:
We all no there will always be a few of them that will Violate the rules and we can't help that

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:
whether it's the right thing to do or not, it is done by installing wifi tether found here (the top one): Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting and then opening that app, menu button>settings> change preferred DNS to 4.2.2.2 and then alternate DNS to 4.2.2.1. Then use that app to tether as normal, the stock app might open for a few seconds in the notifications bar but will go away. enjoy =D dancedroid

You wont believe it. I was tethering today then went to browse on my phone and i did get some verizon crap, but i could still tether. Yesterday i didn't have this problem. O well.

Thanks Shadows9909 for tip!

Please stay on topic and refrain from insulting other members.

whether it's the right thing to do or not, it is done by installing wifi tether found here (the top one): Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting and then opening that app, menu button>settings> change preferred DNS to 4.2.2.2 and then alternate DNS to 4.2.2.1. Then use that app to tether as normal, the stock app might open for a few seconds in the notifications bar but will go away. enjoy =D dancedroid

Thanks!
And in my opinion, charging us to use wireless tether is like my cable company charging me a fee because I watched the history channel too much. Why should it matter...I already paid to watch the history channel.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

not working for me:( Mobile Hotspot app keeps poppin up

yeah mine does sometimes too... If I turn out off and then back on it disappears though... But it doesn't matter it should still work fine even if the blue icon appears as well..

Sent from my DROIDX

When I first installed wifi apk, it seems like it was working and now it gives me an error message and I no longer see the up nor download stats..

I've have the stock hotspot app working well after using the TBH patch, works perfectly fine on Liberty GB v.5

I've have the stock hotspot app working well after using the TBH patch, works perfectly fine on Liberty GB v.5

Dude. Can you PM me a link??

My wireless tether is working thus far (LGB v0.5) but the wireless hotpot still shows its icon in notifications. Same with barnacle. Im about to try the DNS fix posted earlier.. but id rather have a working mobile hotpot

I don't even want it for sharing 3G, I just wanna be able to start a wireless point and run twonkyserver on it with same phone. Will the hotpot app be like infrastructure mode?

EDIT: can't find the DNS settings. I have wireless tether v2.0.7

EDIT 2: TBH patch is the way to go :p

Last edited:
Can we get a link to the patch to make this work?

Edit: I got it working.

Last edited:
Back