Missing feature in 4.1 - send SMS to a group

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
With 4.0, I was able to use the stock SMS app to send text messages to an entire group of contacts. Now that feature seems to be missing.

Anyone know what's going on?

That feature is not available in Jelly Bean. IDK why.

Sent from my DROID RAZR running 4.1.2

They just.... took it out? It was there in 4.0

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Yeah, interesting decision. I was wondering about this myself, and found the answer on another forum. I used group messaging quite a few times on ICS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR running 4.1.2

I'm on the Christmas leak and I have no problem with group messaging on the stock messaging app

Group messaging works fine for me. Try to open stock text messaging, click your settings button, and change your default group messaging setting if you prefer the stock app.

I think there's some confusion regarding the feature I'm referring too. I'm not talking about "Group messaging", which is the ability to send a message to multiple recipients. I'm talking about the ability to send messages to an entire group in your contact list.

For instance, I have a group in my gmail contacts titled "soccer team" with about 15 people in it. When I wanted to send a sms message to everyone in that group, I would start typing "soccer team" in the recipient field in the sms app, and it would send an individual text to everyone in that group.

Now, I can no longer do this. I have to add each contact individually, I can't just type in the group name. It's really frustrating, as I used that feature multiple times per week. :mad:

Exactly - this update sucks!

Like CurGeorge8, I have a group of approx 20 friends I send texts to multiple times a week, now I have to enter them seperately? WTF?
I don't understand why the hell they'd take that out...

Same exact (grrrrr...) problem here.

I am a pole vault coach and I regularly must change practice meet times/location to cater to weather conditions. This is often at last minute notice. For the past several years, with various Motorola Android phones, I have used a group list to send one message to all members of the group of vaulters. It was a breeze. Now, with Jelly Bean, I can no longer message the group. When I open a blank text message, it offers to let me search contacts to add someone, but that will no longer see GROUPS.

What the heck were they thinking? Or not thinking? My wife's phone is the exact same way.

This is unbelievably frustrating.

I am a ESPN Fantasy Baseball League owner and have likewise created a contact group for that league to be able to text updates or news or just trash talk among the team owners, but obviously, am having the same issue - not being able to text the group... what is the point of creating a contact group if you can't do anything with it except edit or delete?!?!?!

Wow!

You got incredibly lucky to get the leak before this feature was removed, at least lucky if you use it much. I don't have a clue why it was removed between December's accidental release and March, but maybe the service providers got together and decided they didn't want to take the hit group messaging would cause? Just a thought because I cannot imagine any others that make a bit of sense.

Back