Motorola Confirms Via Twitter that Droid RAZR will Have a Locked Bootloader

The only way I would consider this phone would be if the nexus prime sucks. Which it wont. Good job Motorola for continuing to ignore your potential customers.

Potential customers?

Does 95% of vzw subscribers even know what a bootloader is? Let alone care about an unlocked one?

Fact is the DROID Razr is what the average smart phone user is looking for. Sleek, thin, and competitive specs. Not only do they have no idea what root and romming are, but they ultimately aren't going to care.

We are the minority of vzw/motorola's customers.

Though, one could say that since we are minority it would be that big of a deal just to unlock it. Since the majority wouldn't even know what to do with it.

This makes me want to scream like Richard Simmons. This is what P3Droid is saying as well.

View attachment 41523

The reason people are worried now is because Moto pointed out that VZW made them lock it down, so if not more than 12 hours later, another phone gets announced that VZW didn't enforce a lock down on (the Nexus, tonight), that would be a big middle finger pointed at Moto from Vzw and Google/Nexus.

Come on friends, this cannot be a shock. Verizon is incredible stubborn when it comes to this topic. This is the main reason we've never seen a Nexus device. Tonight that is supposed to change. What impact it will have on Verizon's relationships with manufacturers will be interesting to see unfold. Maybe the floodgates will be opened?

Can a bootloader be unlocked/unencrypted by an OTA update? If it is that simple, I have a feeling that if the Nexus breaks into this ground tonight, the Razr will be getting that update very shortly after launch.

I simply want stock Android. On the DX, D2, etc. blur never seemed to be so dominating in terms of the OS. But after seeing all of the new "pre-installed applications features", I think it has gotten a little out of hand. I want stock android, bloat free. And I have a good feeling and announcement of just that will be happening in only 7.5 hours.

+1 - Especially when a lot of the pre-loaded apps are trial versions of software you don't want. Once the trial is done you can't remove them. The worse was on my Thrive. It came with a trial of Kaspersky Anti-Virus that would nag you to buy it every time it rebooted and there was no way to disable it without rooting. That is way out of hand.

Can a bootloader be unlocked/unencrypted by an OTA update? If it is that simple, I have a feeling that if the Nexus breaks into this ground tonight, the Razr will be getting that update very shortly after launch.

If I am not mistaken, I think that is how the Atrix bootloader was unlocked. And I sure hope your right for the sake of those putting great faith in Motorola/Verizon unlocking this bootloader at some point.

Last edited:
Come on friends, this cannot be a shock. Verizon is incredible stubborn when it comes to this topic. This is the main reason we've never seen a Nexus device. Tonight that is supposed to change. What impact it will have on Verizon's relationships with manufacturers will be interesting to see unfold. Maybe the floodgates will be opened?

Also, I must say congrats to you, sbenson, :whore: hahaha:
View attachment 41524

And to think, the excitement of the day is only half over and the Nexus Announcement is still to come!!!!

They've figured out a way to get around the bootloader. I have stock android, CM7 on my D2 and it has a locked bootloader. The Bionic was rooter the day it was launched. A locked bootloader on the Razr is of no concern to me. Its between this and the Prime right now.

Also, I must say congrats to you, sbenson, :whore: hahaha:
View attachment 41524

And to think, the excitement of the day is only half over and the Nexus Announcement is still to come!!!!

Oh dear, my parents are going to be so disappointed their son is a whore :(

Truthfully though, I have entirely way too much free time on my hands today and tonight's announcement has me giggling like a school girl.

EDIT: If i keep this up, do i get a prize? Like a free Nexus for being the most active Nexus poster ;)

Last edited:
They've figured out a way to get around the bootloader. I have stock android, CM7 on my D2 and it has a locked bootloader. The Bionic was rooter the day it was launched. A locked bootloader on the Razr is of no concern to me. Its between this and the Prime right now.

Let me clarify. Running custom roms is not the issue here. The locked bootloader stops us from running custom kernels- which is the major issue :)

I am fully aware of CyanogenMod 7 seeing as how I ran it on my Droid X and Droid 2. Regardless, there is still no completely stable Droid X/2 CM7 build and several features that came with the X were useless (720p video capture, HDMI, etc). I suffered a good amount of random force closes as well. The issue lies in the kernel, which can not be changed (besides from the Froyo Moto kernel to the GB Moto Kernel and visa versa) and customized for roms such as CM7. This is why the locked bootloader is a big deal. With the nexus, changing kernels shouldn't be a problem. I'm stoked.

That is BS that they did it on the carriers request to lock it. Motorola said they'd be unlocking bootloaders in Q3 or Q4...still nothing.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

That is BS that they did it on the carriers request to lock it. Motorola said they'd be unlocking bootloaders in Q3 or Q4...still nothing.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

I agree that it's BS, but I believe we were warned that the ultimate decision would come down to each individual carrier. For this reason alone, I never put much faith in seeing an unlocked bootloader on Verizon until they got a Nexus.

I agree that it's BS, but I believe we were warned that the ultimate decision would come down to each individual carrier. For this reason alone, I never put much faith in seeing an unlocked bootloader on Verizon until they got a Nexus.

Imagine what the uproar will be if they announce the Nexus tonight and the bootloader is locked, haha.

Back