My driod suddenly sucks.

Big D

Reaction score
Force closes 3-4 times a week. Very laggy. not getting calls then getting voicemail. apps don't respond when I touch them. etc.

Getting worse. Battery pulls don't do anything.

Last edited:
back up your apps.

factory reset
install a few apps at a time to pinpoint what app is giving you heartache

if that doesn't work take back to Verizon and get a new phone

-=Jason=-

Force closes 3-4 times a week. Very laggy. not getting calls then getting voicemail. apps don't respond when I touch them. etc.

Getting worse. Battery pulls don't do anything.

What apps do you have installed that didn't come with the Droid? Either one of them is causing these issues, of you have a defective handset.

I haven't really insatlled anything new in about a month.

I have:

Advan. Task Killer
Calculator
Finance
GV
gstrings - guit tuner
Missed Call
Moto torch led
NFL superfan
Not call log
pandora
Quote pro
Rehearsal assistant
Ultimate stopwatch
Volume Control
Weatherbug Elite.

I am curios as to how to backup these apps as I am close to trying a factory reset.

Or should I just exchange it?

I have over 60 apps installed and my droid is running in tip top shape....
download Astro file manager / click tools/ backup assistant / from there it's pretty easy.
but I have all my apps backed up on my SdCard

-=Jason=-

I haven't really insatlled anything new in about a month.

I have:

Advan. Task Killer
Calculator
Finance
GV
gstrings - guit tuner
Missed Call
Moto torch led
NFL superfan
Not call log
pandora
Quote pro
Rehearsal assistant
Ultimate stopwatch
Volume Control
Weatherbug Elite.

I am curios as to how to backup these apps as I am close to trying a factory reset.

Or should I just exchange it?

I know that some people have stated in other threads that task killers really don't do THAT much good, and that they can mess things up, but I've used Advanced Task Killer myself for quite a while as well as the task killer built into home++, and haven't had any issues like you're describing. Basically, their case is that Android pauses apps that haven't been used in a while and won't start them back up until you enter them again, so killing them really doesn't save THAT much battery. As far as RAM, I'm not sure how that all plays into that, but I know I used my G1 with Android without a task killer for a long time and didn't really have an issue with either...

Astro File manager [abailable in the market] will allow you to backup your apps to the SD card. I haven't done it, so I can't help you much with that, but I know that it's a feature.

It couldn't hurt to try the factory reset. If you do that, I would reinstall each app one at a time [don't just load them all back on] and try them out for a while. As you add another app, if you start experiencing the problem again, you might uninstall that app completely and add the next one back on and continue. In fact, I'd wait a while before reinstalling any of them to make sure it's an app and not an issue with the phone.

**EDIT: As Flomaster said, "Astro file manager / click tools/ backup assistant"

OK so I did the backup with Astro. Do I have to specify where they are backed up or does it Backup to the SD card by default. It really didn't give me the specific option to choose a backup destination.

Then, If I do choose to do a Factory reset, how do I reinstall everything?

I could have told you to remove advanced task killer before you even said it was installed. That app should be classified as malware.

i had problems with pix messaging. (minor compared to yours) but other issues i have had with this phone all came back to the Apps I INSTALLED.. 3rd party crap that is not tested well and caused my own phone too suck.. when i did a factory reset. HOLY CRAP was the phone fast and i no longer have any issues at all ! NONE...

I'd stay away from weatherbug elite and ATK. Just a suggestion, glad you got it up and running well again.

the regular FREE weather bug works GREAT! i work outside alot and i use it for alerts etc. but the elite is another story. What i learned with my driod has been. dont download every app you can get your eyes on... it may come with a price.. at least for me.

OK so I did the backup with Astro. Do I have to specify where they are backed up or does it Backup to the SD card by default. It really didn't give me the specific option to choose a backup destination.

I'm not sure, but I assume it's automatic that they're put on he SD card, because it'd take up too much space and not make sense to back them up on internal memory.

To reinstall them, return to tie app manager/backup and go to backed up apps, check the ones to install and click install.

I agree that weatherbug is crap on the computer, so I imagine it's no good here too. I use the weather channel app/widget. Haven't noticed any problems...

it created a folder on your SdCard called backups and put each app in there. when you do a factory reset you need to get astro again via the market , browse to the backup folder and you can click and app and install it right from that folder.

-=Jason=-

Astro saves them on your SD card by default. They will be under a folder called backups on the root of your card.

^^ Beat me to it.

To the OP if you have not done the factory reset yet, and if you can remember what apps you have installed around the time it start going slow on you then I would remove those ones first. See if that fixes your problem, if it does not then do a factory reset. Though from what I read, I think you may have done the factory reset. Goodluck!

Back