my nexus is sllloooooowwww

angelman

Reaction score
Anyone else think their Nexus is slow?
I eagerly got the nexus on the first day. I loaded it up with apps the same that I had running on my droid1 and a couple of extra games to test out. I was suprised to find out that although of course there is no speed comparison with the poor old droid the experience was not as smooth as I had expected. Transitions are on occasion a little stuttery, using the phone in landscape mode can be unusable when typing and slow when scrolling. Scrolling in the browser is often slow and sticky. I have even had home screen refresh issues where it takes a beat before redrawing the home screen.
Compared to my wife's razr which generally seems blindingly fast in comparison I am a little disappointed. I know ICS is new and all but I expected it to be slicker. I expect to be able to run 4 widgets on the home screen without problem. I tried out live wallpapers for a while and that really slowed everything down a lot too.
Any ideas on a good way to track down what might be slowing things down?
I also have tasker running (still slow even when it's not running) and it often declares that the phone is low on memory (though it clearly isn't) maybe this is a bug in tasker or something else..
Of course my batter life sucks, about 4-5 hours without charging and light use, some use of camera, video etc. My friend has a nexus and his battery life seems much better though I don't know why.

Anyone else had this experience?

For starters, try turning off all of the animations. That made a nice difference for me. (It's under developer options)

That is odd as mine runs just as fast if not even faster than my razr did. Got to be some app you are running. Do you have a live wallpaper running?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I like the animations, plenty of widgets, no speed issues here. Mine just gets hot

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

If im in the browswer in portrait mode, then go landscape, that transition can be pretty slow.. im not blown away at the speed of the phone either.. to be honest.. just turned off LWP, we'll if that helps.

Mine's been flawless. No issues.
+1

The only slowness I experienced was a hangup on 4g and had to refresh the page. I intentionally tried to get it to FC and nothing, handled everything with no lag or slowness. The only thing slow is switching the orientation

I like the nexus and plan on keeping it... but I will say the razr is faster when u have both phones in stock form i think the razr will load web pages faster than the nexus... maybe it will speed up after some updates but out of the box the razr wins on speed

I got rid of live wallpaper that really killed performance alot which is sort of sad really. If a nexus can't handle animated backgrounds what can?!
Sure I can turn off all animations, I coudl turn off all widgets but then why the hell did I buy a nexus!
The worst issue and most obvious is using the keyboard in landscape mode. I did hear about others experiencing multitouch issues like this. Its really bad. Anyone else have that?
Just to reiterate, the phone is great, very fast but doesnt have that blazing speed I feel when using my wife's razr.
Loading up "just pictures" app on the razr with my large flickr library it would just create thumbnails of an entire non cached album in just a blink of an eye whereas the nexus whilst fast is definitely slower.

I got rid of live wallpaper that really killed performance alot which is sort of sad really. If a nexus can't handle animated backgrounds what can?!
Sure I can turn off all animations, I coudl turn off all widgets but then why the hell did I buy a nexus!
The worst issue and most obvious is using the keyboard in landscape mode. I did hear about others experiencing multitouch issues like this. Its really bad. Anyone else have that?
Just to reiterate, the phone is great, very fast but doesnt have that blazing speed I feel when using my wife's razr.
Loading up "just pictures" app on the razr with my large flickr library it would just create thumbnails of an entire non cached album in just a blink of an eye whereas the nexus whilst fast is definitely slower.
I'm running the phase beam live wallpaper. Other live wallpapers take more processing so that could be the cause of your lag, but overall I have experienced no lag with or without a live wallpaper. I personally don't find it any slower than the Razr, nor do I notice it being faster either.

I like the nexus and plan on keeping it... but I will say the razr is faster when u have both phones in stock form i think the razr will load web pages faster than the nexus... maybe it will speed up after some updates but out of the box the razr wins on speed

+1 bionic too. Was doing side by side comparisons with my friends brand new gnex. I was astounded when the bionic was snappier in transitions and deff in browser. Uhg if moto' would unlocked rzr n bionic they would be siiiiiiccckk.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

am i the only one seeing 2 to 3 seconds maybe more going from portrait to landscape and vice versa? like in Gmail, txt or browser?

am i the only one seeing 2 to 3 seconds maybe more going from portrait to landscape and vice versa? like in Gmail, txt or browser?
switching orientation on the Nexus is a known issue. It is slow and hopefully Google is working on a fix.

Back