Need Help Tracking Elderly Parents With My Droid

HamDog

Reaction score
My mom's Alzheimer is getting worse by the day. We are now considering some kind of tracking device so we can find her if she leaves the home by herself (something that happened this last weekend).

She currently has a cell phone. I got it for her years ago and she's on Page Plus Cellular as she only uses it for contacting me and my sister. Those are the only two numbers programmed in there. She has no idea how to use the phone other than hold down the "1" key to dial me and the "2" key to dial my sister. We have it stickered on the back of the phone, but she still forgets. Many times, someone else dials us for her.

I googled "Tracking for elderly" and the results are endless. Most have to be tracked using a computer. I would love a service where I can track her using my Droid (maybe an app?). Here are the features I would like:

1. Simple device. No buttons to press.
2. Can be tracked using a computer or my Droid.
3. Very helpful if it worked in-doors.

I know some Verizon phones have this capability. But Verizon's monthly charges are high and I'd rather not replace her current phone.

You need something with GPS capability.
Like SeekDroid - you can see where the phone is anytime.
But it is not for a "cell" phone.

I second seek droid. It's only a buck and works perfectly. But yeah, she'd have to have an android phone.

There is no way a person with Alzheimer can work an Android phone. And then there are the monthly fees which go beyond being reasonable for being just a locating device. My mom is now having problems with just turning the TV on and off. Sometimes I have to go over to just turn on the TV for her. It's really bad.

I found Life360 in my research. On their home page, they state you can track "Any Phone" for a small monthly fee while tracking an iPhone or Droid is free. Sounded interesting, but when I went through their free sign-up, there was no other mention of it tracking "any phone". That would have been perfect.

Sure they can. Put two icons on the home screen. Dialer and text messages. Heck, they'd probably like the larger screen. It's way easier to see than on a feature phone. You can pick up a D1 for relatively cheap.

You can even make photo widget dialer shortcuts. Just press the face of the person she wants to call. It can't get any easier than that.

Last edited:
Sure they can. Put two icons on the home screen. Dialer and text messages. Heck, they'd probably like the larger screen. It's way easier to see than on a feature phone. You can pick up a D1 for relatively cheap.

You can even make photo widget dialer shortcuts. Just press the face of the person she wants to call. It can't get any easier than that.

thats what I was thinking, and remove the lock screen. Then I considered turning the screen on, not sure how that would work out. Is there a way to turn on the screen by pressing any button? and not just the power?

Yes, we can almost idiot proof a Droid, but it's still way beyond an Alzheimer or Dementia person. Hopefully you guys will never have to deal with this as it's a nightmare.

First, she'll have major problems with the power button. Next, if she makes a mistake and hits one of the other keys (settings, search, etc.), or touch the screen too long, then there is no way she'll be able to deal with the menus. Saying hit the home key is simple enough, but not for her.

Her flip phone is even too much sometimes. When it rings, just open and say "Hello"...no buttons to press. Can't get simpler than that. And you just close the lid to end the call, nothing to press. And to make a call, just open and hold the "1" key to call me. But I still have problems as she holds the phone wrong and keeps hitting the volume button. When I call her, she doesn't know as the ringer is turned off.

Trust me, I've done everything I can to simplify her home with gadgets, but they have all backfired. It's really a horrible disease. The ultimate solution would have been for her to keep her existing phone and I would have a way to locate her. But as I keep researching this, it looks like the only other alternative is to buy a separate GPS device and put it in her purse.

That is correct. That is your only other option.

I'm really sorry to hear this happen to your loved ones. I hope you find the help you need. <3

Thanks everyone. As I stated above, I'm now looking into just a GPS device to put in her purse. Does anyone know of such a device that can be tracked using my Droid easily? Does any company that make such a device had a Droid app that can track it preferably.

It's just hard to use the browser of my original Droid when some pages showing their own maps may run on Java or Flash (which doesn't always work properly on Droid).

Google maps....which is free....has latitude...which is also free. You can track with your droid or PC providing you can get to google maps.

You can also "ping for location" if they haven't updated in a while. Which simply updates their location....no user interaction required.

As for a GPS device that you can track with your droid.....i really don't know. Google it would be my thought.

Paul, I looked at the family locator from Verizon. It would cost me $40/month and I'll be able to track her with my Droid as long as I'm with Verizon. But I was going to leave Verizon when my contract ends in a few months.

I'm seeing lots of other location devices for $20/month. But I can't find one where they have an app for the Droid.

Nerdslogic, Latitude is great, but she would need a complex phone for it to register on Latitude.

yeah I thought about that. But maybe utilize the accessability options....might make it easier.....sorry dude....I am just thinking out loud so to speak.

Guess there aren't as many options as I thought. Maybe I am thinking of something else....but I thought there was a way to make the phone easier to see and use....could be wrong.
0c99b823-5e9a-4e99.jpg

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Back