Nexus can't use Verizon Navigator?? Is there a GPS App I can use?

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Verizon told me I can't use "Verizon" apps on this google phone for the time being (they don't know when we will be able to)....

First off, is this true? I haven't tried yet. I think someone may have posted this isn't true.

For this reason they couldn't sign me up with Navigator service.

Is there an app I can use that would sort of service as a navigator? If so, best ones?

Please tell me this is your first android phone and that you haven't been paying VZW for the past 2 years for their navigation service. Android comes pre installed with Google Maps and Google Navigator and they're 100% free and legal to use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

This is my first smartphone or android (is the term interchangeable?). I have a great GPS, just can't find it because I store it in the garage so it doesn't "freeze" or "fry" from the heat (maybe not even necessary?? anyone?? because think dh keeps his in the car in all conditions and it still works for 4 years)....

ANYWAY.... No, never signed up for their service but was going to until I find my GPS.

Should I download Google Maps or Good Navigator or both? AND does it talk to you? If not, wasn't really what I was looking for, but would be better than nothing.

Google Navigation is free and works great.

Look for the icon that looks like this in your app drawer:

DzRxv.png

Yes google navigation speaks to you.

This was one of the reasons I chose to get an android smartphone 2 years ago.

It does talk to you. What I like to do, when I do use it, is connect the phone to my car using the auxiliary cable, so I get directions through the speakers of my car and listen to music on my phone, which pauses when the navigation voice comes on. Since its ur first smartphone am sure your gonna love it, so useful, this is one of the great things in this phone.

Just press the micrphone icon in the google search box that is at the top of your screen....when the box comes up say "navigate to (whatever your destination is)"....the phone will do the rest.

This is my first smartphone or android (is the term interchangeable?)...

All android phones are smartphones, but not all smartphones are android. The iPhone, windows and blackberry lineups are also smartphones. There are others too, but those are the most popular right now.

connect the phone to my car using the auxiliary cable
What type of auxiliary cable is this? Do you have a specific name or a pic?

Thanks for all the great info!

Basically its a double sided 3.5mm headphone jack, you plug one end into the headphone port on your phone and the other into the Aux port in your car, that way all audio from your phone goes through your car speakers

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

i use google traffic. It has a stop light sign for the icon. It's way better than my tomtom. Came up to a closed hw the other night and the google traffic already knew about it and showed the alt. rout.

Last edited:

You don't have to have one to use navigation.......But if you want one it looks like this male to male 1/8 stereo plug cable. walmart or radioshack is probably the best places to find one if you don't order it online. It does require that your car stereo have a aux. input to plug the other end into though so don't bother getting one if it doesn't.

You don't have to have one to use navigation.......But if you want one it looks like this male to male 1/8 stereo plug cable. walmart or radioshack is probably the best places to find one if you don't order it online. It does require that your car stereo have a aux. input to plug the other end into though so don't bother getting one if it doesn't.

And, if your car does not have an AUX port, you can buy the cable that has a headphone jack on one end and the other end plugs into the cigarette lighter. If you explain to the salesperson what it is you want to do, they should be able to get you the right cable for your car

My gn streams ihr. Tested using a local station. The app does seem slugish. Seemed to work better on my DX.

Back