noobie that wants to root his phone,but confused

ok so i have been reading up on all these things and let me get this straight, rooting the phone doesnt really give me these features untill i add different roms right? if im understanding this i have to rroot the phone then select the rom that i want. can you use roms in combination or only one at a time? also i stumbled upon a thread that said that the droid 2.1 (which is what i have) is not rooted at this time and that i would have to downgrade to the 2.0.1 to root, maybe this was an older thread but i want to ask.

ok so i have been reading up on all these things and let me get this straight, rooting the phone doesnt really give me these features untill i add different roms right? if im understanding this i have to rroot the phone then select the rom that i want. can you use roms in combination or only one at a time? also i stumbled upon a thread that said that the droid 2.1 (which is what i have) is not rooted at this time and that i would have to downgrade to the 2.0.1 to root, maybe this was an older thread but i want to ask.
To answer your questions, some features are included in ROMs. There are some root only apps out there as well. The ROM devs do put a lot of work into their creations and a few have most of the features you would want. Just check each out and see what you like. Also you can do as I an several other have, root 2.1 and overclocked it. That's all I'm running and love it. Have Helix launcher which allows up to 7 screens with 4 pinned apps on the bottom as well.
To root 2.1 you do not have to "go back" anymore. #1 in my sig is a guide to rooting 2.1 and has links to everything you need. If you go the route of rooting there is a ton of support on this forum and many people here to help you get through most any issue.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I just rooted and installed the Tom suggested by tdog7879 and it awesome the only problem that I have is that I can't get the wifi tether to work I've made sure the wifi on the phone is on and start the app and it comes back with the response unable to tether, I don't know if there is a setting that I need to change or what. Using. A Motorola Droid running 2.1 that is rooted with the Tom previously stated

im a noobie to smart phones and obviously the motorola droid. this is my first smartphone and im really impressed with it with a few exceptions. one thing that i like is that i can have the internet on my laptop and in the palm of my hand. thru this site i have learned about tethering to my comp using pda net, wich is a great app. and i have also learned about things that the phone can do, but the carrier had locked me out of. the more that i have read about what all that i can do with the phone the more that i want to root it so that i have all this stuff available. i am a truck driver and this phone is my only comucation to the "outside world" as a matter of fact i am using it right now to connect to this site, so i cant afford to screw this thing up.

i have been looking at the forum and i am totaly confused about rooting and the differtent roms that are available to me. i am not as computer savy as i once was 7 years ago before i started driving. is there a "manual, cheat sheet or something" that can explain all this to me i want to be able to change screens, fonts, operations and themes as well as give me the features that i want/need. i feel like i have jumped into a giant knot but cant find the start of the string to figure out what the heck i am doing. if anyone can help i would appreciate it. btw the phone has the 2.1 update

Hey welcome! From a former hostler, I'm a retired Teamster, 30 years, nice to see a driver here! If you follow that post right under your first one you'll be in good shape. If your using your Droid on this site look at the app called tapatalk, it's for forums and it is actually in some ways easier than being on the pc. I worked for Yellow for 24 years so now you know why I'm retired!

Back