Operation MOSH to push Moto to unlock bootloader?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
bootloadermoto.jpeg

After a social media "attack" on HTC produced favorable results in getting them to unlock their bootloader, angry Android enthusiast who purchased ASUS's Transformer Prime decided to take matters into their own hands as well. The Army took to the social networks and staged an attack that got the corporations attention and subsequently got them to change their policy. An unlock is on the way.

Strangely enough Motorola fans have not adopted this strategy. Until now. Operation MOSH is now in effect. MOSH is an acronym for Make Ourselves Heard and it is being organized by XDA member TSON.

Motorola stated that an unlock of their devices would happen "during the second half of 2011." Going by our calendar it's now 2012 Q1 and still nothing has come from Motorola. They continue to ignore all bootloader related questions and have even blamed Verizon Wireless for the policy. Funny that Verizon didn't insist on the Rezound being locked down.

There are a lot of Moto fans on Droid Forums and you guys are very vocal. Now is your time to do something. To take part in Operation MOSH head on over to this thread, grab a "weapon" and head to the front lines.

If you want to get a jumpstart, sign the petition first and then make your rounds.

Tell us how you feel. Waste of time? Better to at least try and fail rather than do nothing? Sound off and tell us who's in.

Via: XDA

Last edited by a moderator:
No harm and trying but HTC and Asus have been user friendly all along, who's to say they didn't intend to unlock the bootloader on the Prime eventually anyway and same for HTC. Maybe they wanted to make sure their products ran well enough before allowing the community to unlock them. Moto on the other hand has been anything but user friendly. I don't see this doing anything except upsetting the dev community further. But like I said, no harm in trying.

They haven't changed their ways even after they tried to act like they would after the community exploded when one of their staff basically told rooters and modders that they were persona non grata. When he said that they should buy elsewhere, guess what I did?

The best solution I found was to just not buy their products.
There. Problem solved. It has worked GREAT.

Have fun writing nasty-grams.

Last edited:
They haven't changed their ways even after they tried to act like they would after the community exploded when one of their staff basically told rooters and modders that they were persona non grata. When he said that they should buy elsewhere, guess what I did?

The best solution I found was to just not buy their products.
There. Problem solved. It has worked GREAT.

Have fun writing nasty-grams.

Exactly, when they start losing money because their products aren't selling, they will then start listening.

I filled out an FCC complaint.

IMHO not buying there stuff is a waste of time. I doubt you could get enough people to not buy their products that it would actually impact their profits. This is Moto we are talking about. I cant see them actually caring if they lose 1-2% of profit. Just my .02

B

I filled out an FCC complaint.

IMHO not buying there stuff is a waste of time. I doubt you could get enough people to not buy their products that it would actually impact their profits. This is Moto we are talking about. I cant see them actually caring if they lose 1-2% of profit. Just my .02

B

It's not just about hurting their pocket, it's about being smart enough to not buy a product that doesn't do what you'd like it too. Sure, they may not lose enough money to change, but who cares? Why would you buy one of their products if it didn't have the features you wanted?

By choosing not to buy one of their encrypted bootloader phones you've freed yourself from dealing with them. Whether they change or not is irrelevant because you've solved your problem and moved on.

It's not just about hurting their pocket, it's about being smart enough to not buy a product that doesn't do what you'd like it too. Sure, they may not lose enough money to change, but who cares? Why would you buy one of their products if it didn't have the features you wanted?

By choosing not to buy one of their encrypted bootloader phones you've freed yourself from dealing with them. Whether they change or not is irrelevant because you've solved your problem and moved on.

I see where you are coming from with that.

The problem is that for people like me who enjoys specific features on their phones like a physical keyboard are limited with what we can get. So is we can only choose between 1 or 2 companies and neither one provides an unlocked bootloader complaining to the FCC and companies is our only option.

Also if the android community as a whole complains then phones well start shipping with unlocked bootloaders and consumers wont have to take that into consideration when choosing a phone. Honestly its beyond me why they have them in the first place, especially on Moto phones since they were the first ones to push an android device. By launching all there phones with unlocked BL they could have set the trend for their competition.

B

I say it doesn't hurt to try. When Irwin Proud & some others started the #unlockmoto campaign, he did eventually talk to motorola. And that lead to the Atrix being unlocked, at least in Australia.

Honestly its beyond me why they have them in the first place, especially on Moto phones since they were the first ones to push an android device. By launching all there phones with unlocked BL they could have set the trend for their competition.

B
One word......security. They want to expand deep into the business market where there will soon be a HUGE void if RIM keeps taking on water (which looks like that ship may sink)

They secure the business market they will have a long and prosperous run.

bootloadermoto.jpeg

After a social media "attack" on HTC produced favorable results in getting them to unlock their bootloader, angry Android enthusiast who purchased ASUS's Transformer Prime decided to take matters into their own hands as well. The Army took to the social networks and staged an attack that got the corporations attention and subsequently got them to change their policy. An unlock is on the way.

Strangely enough Motorola fans have not adopted this strategy. Until now. Operation MOSH is now in effect. MOSH is an acronym for Make Ourselves Heard and it is being organized by XDA member TSON.

Motorola stated that an unlock of their devices would happen "during the second half of 2011." Going by our calendar it's now 2012 Q1 and still nothing has come from Motorola. They continue to ignore all bootloader related questions and have even blamed Verizon Wireless for the policy. Funny that Verizon didn't insist on the Rezound being locked down.

There are a lot of Moto fans on Droid Forums and you guys are very vocal. Now is your time to do something. To take part in Operation MOSH head on over to this thread, grab a "weapon" and head to the front lines.

If you want to get a jumpstart, sign the petition first and then make your rounds.

Tell us how you feel. Waste of time? Better to at least try and fail rather than do nothing? Sound off and tell us who's in.

Via: XDA

I Thought we did this already like a year ago on DF.

One word......security. They want to expand deep into the business market where there will soon be a HUGE void if RIM keeps taking on water (which looks like that ship may sink)

They secure the business market they will have a long and prosperous run.

i dont get what you're really saying with this? How does a locked bootloader help them in the business market?

Btw its kinda sad the RIM (blackberry) used to be THE smartphone and had essentially no competition but now they are struggling just to stay afloat

I think its mainly the carrier who is locking the bootloaders. the overseas Motorola Razr is unlocked but Verizon's is not. we should petition Verizon instead of motorola cause they already have phones unlocked. I did sign the petition though but just saying we should target Verizon. or att/sprint if they have locked bootloaders too.

Back