Operation MOSH to push Moto to unlock bootloader?

I think its mainly the carrier who is locking the bootloaders. the overseas Motorola Razr is unlocked but Verizon's is not. we should petition Verizon instead of motorola cause they already have phones unlocked. I did sign the petition though but just saying we should target Verizon. or att/sprint if they have locked bootloaders too.

galaxy nexus- verizon- unlocked, htc phones on verizon- unlocked, motorola on verizon, locked AND encryted

i dont get what you're really saying with this? How does a locked bootloader help them in the business market?

Btw its kinda sad the RIM (blackberry) used to be THE smartphone and had essentially no competition but now they are struggling just to stay afloat
corporations/business's do not have to worry or provide support to employees who have loaded unauthorized software on their equipment.

A locked device provides a "worry free" environment. I hear Moto is going to implement some incredible security measures on their handsets in the very near future (nothing to do with the bootloader).

I'll be honest, at this point in the game unlocked bootloaders mean little to me. The processors, ram, gpu, etc used are pretty damn good now, and while they may be "outdated" rather quickly by things like the tegra 3, they won't become obsolete for a while. It's not like back when I had my Eris and it slowed down to an unbearable crawl before the help of rooting and switching out the kernel, overclocking, romming etc. Now I'm rather happy just with a custom romon my Bionic instead of dealing with Moto's blur.

And it's definitely more of a carrier thing as dragon points out. Verizon wants things locked down as much as possible. Part of it has to do with tethering and the idiots who dropped their ISPs and exploited that. And that also ties into having some control over what is and is not downloadable on the android market for us. But also, there's the fact that they have EoL's for their devices. Stop allowing devices to be updated and eventually people will want to upgrade. Take, for example, the Galaxy I not getting ICS. You think people won't start wanting to upgrade when they realize their devices are not getting that? Granted, I don't know if that's still true...haven't kept up on it since it doesn't directly effect anyone I know.

Anyway, just kind of spitballing towards the end there.

corporations/business's do not have to worry or provide support to employees who have loaded unauthorized software on their equipment.

A locked device provides a "worry free" environment. I hear Moto is going to implement some incredible security measures on their handsets in the very near future (nothing to do with the bootloader).

there is always the HTC way, make it unlockable via their own website and keep track of who unlocks their phone and put up a disclaimer about voiding your warranty

How about taking software warranty out of the picture, and only having a physical damage/accident warranty. Bake the ability to backup/restore/sbf into android and set it up to be a user friendly, one button fix like sys restore in windows and disregard any software policies. I don't know much but an sbf fixes any soft problem I've come across. And just give people the option to unlock the bootloader, with a warning that software issues are not covered.

...Well I wish that would happen

How about taking software warranty out of the picture, and only having a physical damage/accident warranty. Bake the ability to backup/restore/sbf into android and set it up to be a user friendly, one button fix like sys restore in windows and disregard any software policies. I don't know much but an sbf fixes any soft problem I've come across. And just give people the option to unlock the bootloader, with a warning that software issues are not covered.

...Well I wish that would happen

its more complicated than that, with root access and an unlocked bootloader it really is possible to kill parts of your phone, for example i could flash a bad baseband (radio) and cause my radio to overheat and fry itself out, or i could sbf something that erases the bootloader, or radio, or tons of different things, or i could overclock the cpu so much and have it run so hot it would melt other phone internals

its more complicated than that, with root access and an unlocked bootloader it really is possible to kill parts of your phone, for example i could flash a bad baseband (radio) and cause my radio to overheat and fry itself out, or i could sbf something that erases the bootloader, or radio, or tons of different things, or i could overclock the cpu so much and have it run so hot it would melt other phone internals

That's why it's good to be smart about these types of things.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

That's why it's good to be smart about these types of things.

Sent from my HTC Rezound
true, but it they had the policy of not fixing software issues but fixing hardware issues then i could just fry some hardware on my phone to get a replacement if i wanted

I agree that it doesnt hurt to try.. Id love to see my Bionic unlocked. Not having a built in recovery like CWM is a bit of a pain in the butt. You soft brick it you get to fxz that bad boy cause you cant get into the recovery to flash a backup. So you have to fxz to stock, flash forward to your current state and then download recovery from the market again and install it and then.. finally.. flash your backup.

On the other hand, I agree with the statement about just not buying a Moto phone. All I ever had was Moto. But when the GNex came out, I absolutely had no way to restrain myself. unlocked (well, manually) and ready right from the word go. within an hour of a final release of recovery i was unlocked and rooted. installed a stock deodexed rom and started hacking away on theming stuff. I will not reliquinsh this phone until another of its kind, unlocked... comes along.

From a regular users point of view, I can see why it's not a big deal. From my point of view (themer) though, its pretty huge. Plus, as a bonus, I don't have to deal with blur-res and moto-res anymore DancingNexus

attachment.php

They seem to be getting irritated. They were better off ignoring everyone :)

Back