PDAnet vs Easytether??

pchakmak

Reaction score
Any significant difference between the two? What are the upgrades u get from purchasing the full version over the free lite version?

I bought the $29.95 PDAnet and it works great! I don't recall why I chose to upgrade from the free version, but I have not regretted it.

I think the pro versions give you https and the free version either has it for a limited time or not at all.

I use Easytether.

I use PdaNet because it is reliable and easy to use. Having SMS pop up on the screen of your computer is a nice feature of PdaNet so you can remain on your computer and answer a text quickly.

How bout also... vs. Android Tether apk?

It's free and is hands down the best.

+ for Pdanet also love how your messages are accessible from your computer.

How bout also... vs. Android Tether apk?

It's free and is hands down the best.

Unless I'm mistaken Verizon blocks this? I've got custom roms and I can't get the thing to work still...

EDIT: Also, I don't have internet at my new home yet so I've been using PDANet and my droid to access the net. I haven't tried easytether, but I can say PDA Net disconnects randomly(And sometimes not-so-randomly, like when you get an email on your droid) and on occasional requires a full system reboot of the PC to get it to reconnect.

I'm running JRummy's Li-Mod ROM and the jdlfg kernel which was compiled specifically for running with this ROM, and I've never had a problem using Android Tether as long as I get it directly off the dev site here:

code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

...For some reason whenever I try the one off the Market it never works for me either. But the ones off that Project Google site do definitely work for me. No cutouts or anything. This is for wireless too by the way. If you want to use USB tethering, then with this ROM I'm using now, it just works without using any special program. Just go into Settings and it's in there somewhere. Plug your USB cable in and enable the setting. But the Android WiFi Tether app I use works great as long as your Linux kernel has the right wireless driver module, and the iptables binary compiled into it as well. If not, it won't work.

So obviously, this app is for rooted users only. If you are not rooted then you are stuck using pay apps like pdanet and such. Please note that the Li-Mod ROM I use are Froyo 2.2 based and this is why the USB cable tethering just works out of the box (well not if its the Verizon OTA released 2.2). Aftermarket ROMs don't have all the locks on them that are provider-specific. Also note that I am using the exact same Android Tether apk now as I was before when I had an Eclair 2.1 based ROM. I haven't even upgraded to the latest one on the Project Google site because I think I tried it once and it didn't work on my new 2.2 so I rev'd back like maybe Android Tether 2.0.2 or something and it worked again, so if you can't get yours to work then try a few versions back.

EDIT: My exact version on my current Android Tether apk says (Eclair) 2.0-pre3, and it works fine, even though my ROM is Froyo 2.2 based, so don't be afraid to try older versions. They are all free downloads, and I also just realized that in addition to the kernel needed to have the correct wifi driver module, and iptables, it also needs dnsmasq built in as well. Good news though is that stock Froyo kernels (not Verizon release) have these built in whereas 2.1. They had to be added in or you had to install a kernel that had those modules compiled into it.

Last edited:
I think either is fine..... Easytether is cheaper.... and doesn't have the popup sms feature, but I can text and be on the computer so it's not a problem.

I use Easytether and use it for my primary internet now.

Back