Poor battery life after last update

Not really. But if it was doing ok a few weeks ago then I would say the battery could be bad.
Has it got really hot when charging?
My wifes phone did but I think I noticed in time it didnt hurt it as far as I can tell.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Just checked it and it was at 87 degrees fahrenheit. Quick question before calling samsung how long does your phone take to charge? I'm averaging 11-14% an hour.

From about 10% of charge to full in maybe 3-4 hours

Not really. But if it was doing ok a few weeks ago then I would say the battery could be bad.
Has it got really hot when charging?
My wifes phone did but I think I noticed in time it didnt hurt it as far as I can tell.

Mine has gotten hotter that bad?
8pened!

Ok, my opinion, it is called "Airplane Mode"

It isn't called, "Let's use this all the time to save my battery while talking down to others, mode"

While we are on the topic...for the price of these phones...it is NOT unreasonable to expect the battery life of a standard cellphone.

It isn't called, "Let's use this all the time to save my battery while talking down to others, mode"

While we are on the topic...for the price of these phones...it is NOT unreasonable to expect the battery life of a standard cellphone.

1st: it's NOT a standard phone - so yes, it's completely unreasonable to expect a smartphone with all of it's functionality to keep a charge as long as a standard cell.

2nd: I only use airplane mode when it makes sense, like: at work, or anyplace where service isn't consistent. On my days off, it's generally connected all day.

3rd: I read all my books on my phone.

4th: I use my phone to check tuning on my guitar daily.

5th: I communicate with Facebook, and Droid forums several times daily.

6th: I watch full length dvd quality movies and vids on my phone, in segments, daily.

7th: I play nesoid, gensoid, snesoid and various droid market games on my phone, daily.

8th: I send/recieve several emails/texts, daily.

9th: I make/recieve several phone calls, daily.

10th: I charge my standard-battery equipped phone once, nightly.

I also often use various weather, shopping, and tool apps on some days.

My point is: the biggest drain BY FAR on most phones is when it has to be constantly searching for a signal in inconsistent signal strength areas, like many buildings or indoors.

To enjoy all these great features, airplane mode is a must, lest you be charging several times daily.

Movies, extended game sessions, reading books, etc - why have the phone sucking service juice when I don't need to be bothered by calls/texts, when I can simply kick airplane mode off, hit the update button and have all my facebook, droid, text, email, etc pop up for me to check?

I maintain that, to get the most out of the device without worrying about your charge, not using airplane mode is ridiculous, and wasteful. AND that if you wanna use a smartphone to it's fullest, but complain about battery life, it's necessary.

It isn't a standard cell phone. In fact, many smartphone manufacturers consider the phone aspect to be secondary.

1st: it's NOT a standard phone - so yes, it's completely unreasonable to expect a smartphone with all of it's functionality to keep a charge as long as a standard cell.

2nd: I only use airplane mode when it makes sense, like: at work, or anyplace where service isn't consistent. On my days off, it's generally connected all day.

6th: I watch full length dvd quality movies and vids on my phone, in segments, daily.

7th: I play nesoid, gensoid, snesoid and various droid market games on my phone, daily.

My point is: the biggest drain BY FAR on most phones is when it has to be constantly searching for a signal in inconsistent signal strength areas, like many buildings or indoors.

To enjoy all these great features, airplane mode is a must, lest you be charging several times daily.

Movies, extended game sessions, reading books, etc - why have the phone sucking service juice when I don't need to be bothered by calls/texts, when I can simply kick airplane mode off, hit the update button and have all my facebook, droid, text, email, etc pop up for me to check?

I maintain that, to get the most out of the device without worrying about your charge, not using airplane mode is ridiculous, and wasteful. AND that if you wanna use a smartphone to it's fullest, but complain about battery life, it's necessary.

It isn't a standard cell phone. In fact, many smartphone manufacturers consider the phone aspect to be secondary.

You have to be kidding me. The phone aspect of a smartphone isn't secondary

Long battery life on a smartphone is a luxury. The de-facto standard for smartphones seems to be whether they can last you a full day of use before requiring an overnight charge. Any smartphone that can last longer than that is considered to have excellent battery life (whereas a typical feature/flip phone can easily last 3+ days without charge).

I think you are making the assumption that smartphone = cell phone + extra features. I would disagree. If you look at all smartphones, they are designed, marketed, and bought for their ability to act as portable pocket sized internet-enabled computers. Their ability to send/receive calls takes a back seat to this.

Well, not too many adds demonstrate the phone being used.
In fact, I'd venture to say the only reason they call them smart "phones" is a marketing ploy to pull cell phone users in. I mean, the PSP and PSP2 can be used as phones, or even the Galaxy Tab, but is that really a "phone"?

Just installed the leaked 2.2 rom. It looks like my signal strength is higher and cell standby is lower. I wont know how thats affecting battery life until I let it sit overnight though.

Sent from my SCH-I500

REALLY, ask yourself this. How much time to you spend on phone calls as compared to the total time you use your Fascinate? Texting doesn't count that is not a phone quality, I imagine 99% of the people have a phone usage of less than 5% of their total usage.

"I think you are making the assumption that smartphone = cell phone + extra features. I would disagree. If you look at all smartphones, they are designed, marketed, and bought for their ability to act as portable pocket sized internet-enabled computers. Their ability to send/receive calls takes a back seat to this."

IMO, everything up to that last sentence is spot on...

I am on my 5th smartphone (Samsung i710, BB Curve 8330, BB Tour, Moto Droid, and currently Samsung Fascinate), and sending and/or receiving calls has never been an issue with any of them... DBV

Ok, when on forums I generally like to be cool to others and not give anyone a hard time as these and other forums serve the purpose to help each other as a community.

That being said, I think the above statement is quite possibly the most inane remark I have ever read here. And I have read some pretty goofy uniformed things.

You had better believe the phone aspect of a "smartphone" is secondary. Do you hear any ads when making a phone call? Are you purchasing apps while making calls? What cost ratio minutes vs. Data are you paying monthly?

I could go on and on, but I don't think I need to....
Sent from my SCH-I500 (2.2) using DroidForums App

For the record, since i saw this two pages back,

Using wifi is preferable since it is more efficient! Yes, it will save you battery versus a similarly strong (or weak) 3G signal!

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

Just a heads up gents, since the upgrade to froyo battery life has improved 10 fold (not kidding). Before my phone would get a couple hours of battery with no use, now with froyo after a heavy day of use I still have about 30% battery life left. Really amazing improvement and i urge everyone with battery problems to try it.

Back