Questions about rooting...

Droid_Mike: I am in a similar boat as you, except I don't have anywhere near that kind of experience with electronics (custom gaming PC's, liquid cooling systems, home theater PC's, home networks, etc, is about as far as I go; but I also do home theater setups, and I love to tinker and "customize/improve" anything electronic). I just have ZERO familiarity with the Linux platform, so while I have no problem doing a single thing on Windows, from cleaning up horrible messes of PC's for friends, to writing custom Registry strings, it is like a second nature.
But Linux? Yikes... Does not make me feel so confident...

I have absolutely no electronics experience and no more than basic computer skills at best but wanted to root my OG droid just to see if i could. It went off without a hitch. I played around with a lot of different roms 'til i finally settled on one i liked. I found myself spending way too much time messing with the phone at the expense of other things that needed attention. For that reason I haven't rooted my nexus yet but I;m getting close. Most of these guys on here and the things they discuss are still way over my head but you'll pick up a lot as you go. The only way you're going to satisfy that itch is to go ahead and give it a try.

Another thing holding me back...

Well, I wouldn't mind rooting the phone so that I can use TiBU and SetCPU and whatnot, but I just feel that with the phone only being a month old, the ROMs and everything else will be a hundred times better come Spring... I love being an early-adopter with the phone/ICS, but I am less-confident in being an "early adopter" for custom ROMs and whatnot... Especially with my complete unfamiliarity with Linux.

Meh...

The custom ROMs that are out now are very stable. I'm sure as time goes there will be more customization available, but as far as everything working, that's already there.

to anyone who is scared - check out this toolkit -- http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-development/192031-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html

i am backing up my SDCard now and going to attempt to root my phone with the toolkit posted above - its supposed todo all the work for me, and also has a backup feature incase i do brick my phone (although the tookit does all the work for me, so it shouldnt brick). Since the toolkit is doing all the work, I feel much safer doing it. also there is major success rate judging by the comments (atleast 98%)

to anyone who is scared - check out this toolkit -- http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-development/192031-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html

i am backing up my SDCard now and going to attempt to root my phone with the toolkit posted above - its supposed todo all the work for me, and also has a backup feature incase i do brick my phone (although the tookit does all the work for me, so it shouldnt brick). Since the toolkit is doing all the work, I feel much safer doing it. also there is major success rate judging by the comments (atleast 98%)

Haha, it's funny you mention that... I actually have both version 1.0 as well as the newest version downloaded on this PC (my laptop, which is my "general-purpose, go-to, has everything I use on it" computer). I haven't installed them yet, but I have the installers just sitting there...

I still have to buy Titanium Backup in order to not lose ABSOLUTELY everything...

Back