Random reboots?

I have a friend who just bought a Droid X from Amazon Wireless. He rooted it and then applied the update and rerooted. Using Z4 root. He has alot of apps installed. (I'm getting a list from him now)

Any idea what could cause this? He says it reboots by it's self up to 7 times a day. I've never had this issue with my Droid X so I have no real idea.

I'm not trying to point a finger at any app, but I'm on the latest software and have not had any reboot issues. I'm rooted using Z4.

Today I installed ClockworkMod Bootstrap Recovery and since then my X has rebooted itself three times. The phone is just sitting there on the table next to me and reboots. I'm not saying the ClockworkMod software is causing it, but it sure seems like it so far.

If this behavior continues I'll try and remove ClockworkMod (which I read is not easy to do) and see if it solves the reboot issues.

-Joe

Honestly I don't think it could possibly be CWM. Almost everyone here in the DX section has it.. And im sure it would be causing problems for more than one person if were indeed the app causing your reboots.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Have the same problem here. Started after the 340 update. I suspected apps since I had many reboots one day and no reboots for over a day after a reset. Slowly started adding apps back on and got a reset here and there. Tried narrowing down the list of suspects.

Since then many people stated they are seeing similar random reboots even though they are not running the apps I was.

I do not understand why this problem only affects some people but the best solution I see right now is to SBF the Verizon version before 340. What was it?

Thanks,

David

Have the same problem here. Started after the 340 update. I suspected apps since I had many reboots one day and no reboots for over a day after a reset. Slowly started adding apps back on and got a reset here and there. Tried narrowing down the list of suspects.

Since then many people stated they are seeing similar random reboots even though they are not running the apps I was.

I do not understand why this problem only affects some people but the best solution I see right now is to SBF the Verizon version before 340. What was it?

Thanks,

David

The only problem with the proposed solution... is that you can't go back. If you try to sbf from 2.3.340 back to 2.3.15, the phone will just sit at the bootloader (black screen with white text).. with an error message. :S
(Note: You could .sbf back to 2.3.320, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same as 2.3.340...

Overclocking, underclocking, some mods (including themes, ROMs, etc. etc. etc) can make them worse, as well as some task killing apps, CPU control apps, battery management apps, etc.
Someone else mentioned WeatherBug was causing their reboots...

It is speculated that the actual fix from Moto that was included in 2.3.340 for the reboot issues people were having.... is bumping up the default voltage (which does indeed increase stability...).. But most ROMs and/or overclocking apps set voltage back to default pre 2.3.340 voltages...

If you ARE able to figure out what's causing your reboot issues.. PLEASE post back and let us know. Lots of people looking for even a little improvement to the issue! :)

Some ROMs make it better or worse...

I'm on a Droid 2, non-rooted and have been having random reboots. It likes to freeze after locking sometimes. The screen will go black and even sliding won't do anything. Takes a few minutes sometimes to come back or the droid eye pops up.

I think it only started after I installed Lookout. Maybe its constant background running is causing it to reboot? I don't want to get rid of it because of the safety though. Any ideas?

I'm on a Droid 2, non-rooted and have been having random reboots. It likes to freeze after locking sometimes. The screen will go black and even sliding won't do anything. Takes a few minutes sometimes to come back or the droid eye pops up.

I think it only started after I installed Lookout. Maybe its constant background running is causing it to reboot? I don't want to get rid of it because of the safety though. Any ideas?

Honestly, the very few virus' available for Android... I would try it without, and if it fixes the issue to get rid of lookout.. might be worth it. :S
Do some research, there are great arguments both for, and against running AV for Android. (I've seen some pretty convincing arguments against.... hehe..
I don't run AV.. but *shrug*.. I'm also very careful....

I had random glitches on my X that were due to card issues. I reformatted and I was back in business.

I uninstall Lookout and I have not a reboot in three days. I was rebooting two are three times a day.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Yah that's the exact same thing happening to me. At least 2 times a day...glad I'm not the only one.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Back