Read before you root

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
The OTA update is here,and low and behold, the forums are full of owners who have rooted and cannot get the update to install. Surprise, Surprise. If there is one basic lesson, commandment, or Don't for people who want to root their phone it is this: Do Not DELETE apps. Rename them or freeze them. If you delete what most people refer to as bloatware you will probably not be able to install an update. There is no sbf for Razr which means you may be screwed. Missing, frozen or moved apps from the stock configuration is almost always a recipe for update failure. Once more, it certainly makes you a candidate for NOT being able to install Ice Cream Sandwich when it come out.

The OTA update is here,and low and behold, the forums are full of owners who have rooted and cannot get the update to install. Surprise, Surprise. If there is one basic lesson, commandment, or Don't for people who want to root their phone it is this: Do Not DELETE apps. Rename them or freeze them. If you delete what most people refer to as bloatware you will probably not be able to install an update. There is no sbf for Razr which means you may be screwed. Missing, frozen or moved apps from the stock configuration is almost always a recipe for update failure. Once more, it certainly makes you a candidate for NOT being able to install Ice Cream Sandwich when it come out.

Why are you hatin' on people who aren't satisfied with what the carrier and manufacturers deemed as "good enough"? We root because the phones are delivered sub par. Rooting, flashing, hacking, etc. takes them to the level that they should have been at when released.

I rooted and froze apps. I didn't delete a single one. I was able to DL the update but it didn't install on the first attempt. I'll figure it out later, but don't be a jerk to the people are aren't satisfied with a mediocre user experience.

To the OP, thanks for posting this. A lot of people root their phones without realizing the possible consequences.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ditto all of that. I don't get folks obsession with wanting to delete. The amount of storage on the phone just doesn't warrant the original reasons folks did such things. Also since you can hide apps from the menu it's just not worth the delete. Freeze it or hide it and enjoy pain free updates later on in life.

Why are you hatin' on people who aren't satisfied with what the carrier and manufacturers deemed as "good enough"? We root because the phones are delivered sub par. Rooting, flashing, hacking, etc. takes them to the level that they should have been at when released.

I rooted and froze apps. I didn't delete a single one. I was able to DL the update but it didn't install on the first attempt. I'll figure it out later, but don't be a jerk to the people are aren't satisfied with a mediocre user experience.

I don't see any hate or him being a jerk, he's informing everyone of term potential risks of rooting and deleting apps.

He's basically saying root at you're own risk.

First, don't call me a jerk. Second, I don't hate anyone who decides to root their phone. I don't have any problem with that...I have done that a number of times to my Droid phones. I must have missed my point...which was...root is fine IF you know what you're doing and second, when things don't go as plan you know how to get out of the problem you have. I don't understand why anyone would root any phone if they had never done it before or taken the time to read the pros and cons and did a little research. Reading the forums this morning...well, I'd say there are a lot of folks who have a problem...a basic problem that if they had researched before root they'd know you don't delete files...you rename them or you move them or you freeze them or put them some place (sd card) where you can find them, but you don't delete them. I apologize to you or anyone else who took my thread as a "root hater"...that is simply not the case. I do stand on the point that I was trying to make...evidently unsuccessfully...KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING BEFORE YOU ROOT.

I rooted my D2 and if i hadn't sbf i would have been scr### a couple times. Be patient - some of the good guys-gals-dev's of the RAZR'S will come up with something. They have never letus down- they all could not have gone

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

I read the original thread as a warning. I did not see any hate in the post. Some of you who claim hate sure are sensitive or possibly it is that time of the month.:D

I agree some root and remove things despite many warnings that you shouldn't without an sbf or fxz. However. Not everyone who is having issues with the update removed bloatware. I was rooted stock, installed safestrap, and flagged a room in safe mode to play with. However when the update came, I bored into non safe mode, removed safestrap and went into stock recovery and the update failed. I never froze out removed anything and the update would not take. So, for some users who are having issues, it is not because they removed something, their phone just won't take it because of something that happened during root......all phones are not created equal.....unfortunately.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using DroidForums

I agree some root and remove things despite many warnings that you shouldn't without an sbf or fxz. However. Not everyone who is having issues with the update removed bloatware. I was rooted stock, installed safestrap, and flagged a room in safe mode to play with. However when the update came, I bored into non safe mode, removed safestrap and went into stock recovery and the update failed. I never froze out removed anything and the update would not take. So, for some users who are having issues, it is not because they removed something, their phone just won't take it because of something that happened during root......all phones are not created equal.....unfortunately.

I think tinkering with smartphones and computers is great...and fun. But, you do those things (tinkering) and fulling around with factory settings at your own risk after researching the "process". It just kills me to read all the post on this forum about guys all upset because they have rooted their phone and now they can't get an update. Just wait...before the end of today, it will be Motorola's fault or VZW's fault that they're having trouble. Taking responsibility for their own actions never occurred to them:frown:

I think tinkering with smartphones and computers is great...and fun. But, you do those things (tinkering) and fulling around with factory settings at your own risk after researching the "process". It just kills me to read all the post on this forum about guys all upset because they have rooted their phone and now they can't get an update. Just wait...before the end of today, it will be Motorola's fault or VZW's fault that they're having trouble. Taking responsibility for their own actions never occurred to them:frown:

My first reaction to this post was to agree but the more I thought about what you are saying, I think you are misunderstanding what users are posting on here. Yes, when someone chooses to root their phones and tinker around they are taking a risk. However, I personally have not read a single post from someone who is upset about their issues or even remotely blames someone else. We all know we take responsibility for our choices but when something goes wrong, it is perfectly natural for someone to express frustration or disappointment and seek help from others on finding a fix. This is all I have seen on here is users who are having problems and are looking for help. Reminding them of how dumb they were is unnecessary.

If you decided to climb a ladder to hang lights around your house and you fall off, wouldn't you be frustrated by the fact that you now have a broken leg and the lights are not finished? Imagine going to the doctor for help and he just reminds you of how you made a bad choice and have no one to blame.....or worse yet, someone just offers up their unsolicited advice that you shouldn't have done that and it is all your fault........ Completely unnecessary.

On a side note, since my RAZR would not take the update for whatever reason, I figure that will also stop me from getting ICS when it is pushed so I ordered a new one that I will keep as stock for now. The silver lining? Now I have a brick that I can look forward to flashing when a fxz is available and I can tinker with and flash roms on until I am blue in the face and it won't matter. Talk about a good tool to learn on. :)

Last edited:
I think that the only "hating" is when people delete apps because they think that freeing up 50mb of storage on a device with 32GB, is going to speed it up or something, and they "hate" that they cannot get OTA and there is no SBF and they spend a week trying to get their phone to update.

The OP's warning is well taken. Freeze, hide or rename files when you root. There is absolutely no benefit to deleting them. But there are some VERY good reasons *not* to.

My first reaction to this post was to agree but the more I thought about what you are saying, I think you are misunderstanding what users are posting on here. Yes, when someone chooses to root their phones and tinker around they are taking a risk. However, I personally have not read a single post from someone who is upset about their issues or even remotely blames someone else. We all know we take responsibility for our choices but when something goes wrong, it is perfectly natural for someone to express frustration or disappointment and seek help from others on finding a fix. This is all I have seen on here is users who are having problems and are looking for help. Reminding them of how dumb they were is unnecessary.

If you decided to climb a ladder to hang lights around your house and you fall off, wouldn't you be frustrated by the fact that you now have a broken leg and the lights are not finished? Imagine going to the doctor for help and he just reminds you of how you made a bad choice and have no one to blame.....or worse yet, someone just offers up their unsolicited advice that you shouldn't have done that and it is all your fault........ Completely unnecessary.

On a side note, since my RAZR would not take the update for whatever reason, I figure that will also stop me from getting ICS when it is pushed so I ordered a new one that I will keep as stock for now. The silver lining? Now I have a brick that I can look forward to flashing when a fxz is available and I can tinker with and flash roms on until I am blue in the face and it won't matter. Talk about a good tool to learn on. :)

Point well taken. Sorry to hear about our Razr.

WOW...no coffee today.

Wait, what is bloat ware, and I have yet to root my phone but I deleted apps such ax blockbuster. Does this make me susceptible to update problems if I do decide to root?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Back