OTA update question

It is a soak test...not everyone will get it...some non-testers will get it...most will not...probably a week or 2 we all should get it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Who's received the OTA update?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX
Well that is hard to tell. Supposedly only those who have signed up to be testers should be getting the soak test version. However, there seems to be non testers getting the update. Just do menu>settings>About Phone>Check for Updates...if the OTA has been made available to your phone it will let you know. They don't send the update out to everyone at the same time. Some users will receive it sooner than others, but eventually all will get it.

I rooted my razr a couple days ago but havent removed ANY bloat but dont see an update...i even tried the temporary unroot feature in voodoo rootkeeper then checking for update and it says no update available!

I don't root anyways scared to lol

I rooted my razr a couple days ago but havent removed ANY bloat but dont see an update...i even tried the temporary unroot feature in voodoo rootkeeper then checking for update and it says no update available!
You will be notified of an OTA update even if you are rooted. The problem may come after you have downloaded the update and tried to install it. The install may fail because you are rooted even if you haven't removed, deleted or froze files/apps. To guarantee a trouble free OTA update I recommend unroot...update...then root. There are some who might disagree with this approach, it is up to you.

I agree with jpcalhoun. I just fastbooted mine to be on the safe side. The update is going to try to run regardless. Just easier for me to restore it to stock then address rooting again once the OTA comes in. Worst case scenario, fastboot, root, root keeper, OTA. Problem solved.

Why not just unroot using voodoo rootkeeper, download and install update, restore root with voodoo (if possible) rather than fastbooting?

That is totally feasible. Again, I'm not saying other ways don't work. I'm just saying the method I used worked. You can see videos of people doing it all the time, but until you talk to someone who has actually done it and was comfortable enough to do it a second time, you can be a little wary. Your way may be 4 times faster lol. I'm just sharing what worked for me and how I did it.

If there is a better way, let me know. It was definitely a little time intensive!

No, you should be alright as long as you have a successful .748 installation. I'd recommend you leave your phone not rooted until after you get the OTA update, which should be pretty soon ( no more than a few days anyway).

173 can not be rooted so if you want root in the latest ota when you get it, you must use the root keeper before updating.

173 can not be rooted so if you want root in the latest ota when you get it, you must use the root keeper before updating.

Jungle King 76, are you saying the OTA (.176) cannot be rooted. How do we know that? The OTA update has not been released to all users yet. I understand that there is a leaked .173, but we don't know if the OTA will be the same as the leak, do we?

Jungle King 76, are you saying the OTA (.176) cannot be rooted. How do we know that? The OTA update has not been released to all users yet. I understand that there is a leaked .173, but we don't know if the OTA will be the same as the leak, do we?

There have been several users who have gotten the official ota (including me) and it broke root and the current method of root does not work. Luckily I used root keeper but others who took the ota are now either stuck without root or they have to flash fat boot files.

There have been several users who have gotten the official ota (including me) and it broke root and the current method of root does not work. Luckily I used root keeper but others who took the ota are now either stuck without root or they have to flash fat boot files.

Ok, I didn't know that. Good information to have. Thanks.

Yes, you are right (.744)...on all accounts:biggrin: To many numbers to remember. I wish guys who want to root would just freeze, move or rename bloatware or apps they don't use. We need a big STICKY that says "RULE #1 FOR ROOT...DO NOT DELETE...RENAME, MOVE OR FREEZE".

+1

No, you should be alright as long as you have a successful .748 installation. I'd recommend you leave your phone not rooted until after you get the OTA update, which should be pretty soon ( no more than a few days anyway).

Actually, if you use the vooDoo OTA Rootkeepet and protect root, then do threw update, you can restore root quite easily. Otherwise once you update to .173 at present there is no known way to re-root that ROM.

Damn, didn't see JK already answerd this. oh well, so I'll +1.

Back