Root

Are you including spaces? I think that tripped me up the first time.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Yeah I put thespaces where they need to go but no luck so far

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

That's odd. Is the terminal emulator giving you any error messages?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Just after the command ./rage*.bin .... it says "not found" or something like that. And I still don't see the # symbol after I force stop it and open it back up

I extracted it into the download directory in the sdcard

After the command "chmod 777 rage*.bin" it says no such directory found.. any suggestions?

you will have to provide the path to the file if you aren't currently in that directory. I can't remember totally the instructions.... isn't the file supposed to be copied to the /data/tmp/local.... or something like that... folder? Then you ... cd /data/tmp/local.... or something.... I'd have to pull up the full instructions page to remember.

Your asking the wrong guy bro im new to all this rooting stuff but thanks for the help

Droid 2 Method...

- open up your favorite terminal emulator program
- cd /tmp
- cp /sdcard/download/rage*.bin /tmp/
- chmod 777 rage*.bin
- ./rage*.bin
- ignore it's output, we are thinking outside of the box here, just wait for it to finish and return a $
- now go to settings -> applications -> manage applications -> running -> terminal and force close that girlie
- relaunch the terminal app and you should be greeted with the friendly # symbol. Toda you now have a root shell
- the rest is pretty much the same.
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/download/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/download/su /system/bin/su
* cp /sdcard/download/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
* chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit

cd = Change Directory.... When you open the emulator on your phone... it may not be at the correct directory. Notice it's puting you in the tmp directory. the place that you will be copying the rage file to

cp = Copy... copy file from one location... then destination... Notice it's copying from sdcard/download to the tmp directory on the phone...

Yeah im doin. All that bro. But as soon as I ener the third command it says "not found" or "no such directory exists.

cp /sdcard/download/rage*.bin /tmp/

u see that there is a space before /tmp/ right?

Wow I feel dumb.... thanks guys!! Abe im glad u saw that for me. That little space was messing up the whole process! Hahaha! Now im rooted!

Dammit I spoke too soon.. I have the superuser permissions icon but the app wont open so I cant allow other apps to work. Any suggestions?

Back