Rooting 2.3.340 through terminal

tatuud

Reaction score
In case anyone wants to root their phone and get some practice using terminal emulator, i highly recommend using this method. I have rooted 3 different phones, all on 2.3.340, using this method and it literally takes less than 10 minutes. By rooting your phones using this method, it makes it very easy to unroot your phone since the directions also include the commands to remove the 4 files you're pushing to the phone. I hope it helps even a little to get familiar with terminal emulator. Good luck to all

I take absolutely no credit for this method, all credit goes to the op of this thread who came up with this great method to root our X's.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/80080-much-simpler-guide-rooting-no-pc-required.html

Just curious, but why not just use the application called z4root? It takes all of the work out of manually doing this.

Just curious, but why not just use the application called z4root? It takes all of the work out of manually doing this.

Simply because not everyone is having positive results with z4root. Always nice to have other options.

Thanks for the post.

Tap'n from DX while sit'n by PC.

Also I think doing it through the terminal is a good option because it forces you to learn a little about what you're doing and also shy's away some of the people who aren't quite ready to root, preventing them from damaging their devices.

tappin and a talkin

Excellent point. I've rooted via terminal emulator several times before and I agree that it helps you to understand how parts of your device works. I just don't particularly enjoy all of the steps.

thank you chkmate and spaz33g, those were my exact points. everyone is very quick to click one button and have root but really no idea how they got it. Then there are the people who can't unroot using the one click method. they are totally lost, unfortunately.
I looked at roolers extensive guide but thought i would post this as confirmation that that this method works on the OTA and gives you a little practice using terminal emulator and of course pushing files.

Hey Big,

FYI, I downloaded z4 (after much searching) prior to installing the update and then z4 COULD NOT root the phone post update to 340 (DX). I wound up doing it the old fashioned way (terminal emulator) which is how I did it the first time anyways. I figured I'd try z4 after so many people raved about how easy it was...not for me!

It could be a coincidence but I have seen a lot more d2 and dx "help me I bricked it" threads since z4root came out. I totally respect what they did with the app I just think that a little fear and trepidation about rooting will force one to learn as much as they can thus preventing them from heartache down the road.

tappin and a talkin

I just rooted with z4root. Can I STILL do this to learn more about what I did or do I just need to practice?

I named my droid XL because I love him that much!!!

I'm a fan of z4root but an even bigger fan of researching both before and after to know exactly what the app did and what root means!
Spaz, I think a lot of that has to do with users running z4 and go all anti-blur, deleting files and apks that shouldn't be deleted. Also improper flashing, I believe, is the main culprit.

DroidForums junkie!!

I agree with the researching part. I want to learn the whole gambit!

Big shout out to spaz and double d for the great assistance they gave me in rooting my new toy!

I named my droid XL because I love him that much!!!

Anytime bud!!
I know he's online so I'm going to bump this to get furbearingmammal's attention.
FBM, still have the link to that guide??

DroidForums junkie!!

Ah, yes, actually I do. Manually root your X/2/Fascinate in my signature, so stop using your Droid's app and get on a PC. That way you can read the instructions WHILE You're doing it instead of memorizing it and hoping for the best. ;)

Back