Should I root?

hydro556

Reaction score
I bought the Galaxy Nexus because of the great screen, good hardware and most importantly because I knew it would be priority and that they would keep it updated and for a long time.

I have had the OG Droid, and the HTC Incredible both for long periods of time, and the Bionic briefly. I have never rooted a phone.

After having the GNex for a couple weeks, I really like it, but all I hear is that the main reason to own a GNex is to root it and all the dev support. This is making me want to root.

I dont want to risk bricking the phone, but it seems that there is so many options and ways to really customize it that I am getting tempted to do it. What do you guys think? Is there enough upside? Do the available roms make the device that much better than all the competition that I should go ahead and do it?

If so, what is the best way to go about it, and what Roms should I consider to get the best features?

I bought the Galaxy Nexus because of the great screen, good hardware and most importantly because I knew it would be priority and that they would keep it updated and for a long time.

I have had the OG Droid, and the HTC Incredible both for long periods of time, and the Bionic briefly. I have never rooted a phone.

After having the GNex for a couple weeks, I really like it, but all I hear is that the main reason to own a GNex is to root it and all the dev support. This is making me want to root.

I dont want to risk bricking the phone, but it seems that there is so many options and ways to really customize it that I am getting tempted to do it. What do you guys think? Is there enough upside? Do the available roms make the device that much better than all the competition that I should go ahead and do it?

If so, what is the best way to go about it, and what Roms should I consider to get the best features?

Have you spent a lot of time reading about how to root? I would read through the entire how-to thread in the development section and watch the video. Then ask any questions that you end up with before you get started. That way you can see what people have run in to so there shouldn't be any surprises. Is it worth it?, heck yes! Ad blocker is great, Titanium Back up is great just to name a couple. You dont really need to worry about bricking your phone because folks here can get you out of anything that you may run in to.

The risk of actually bricking the phone is extremely slim. Most of the time there is a brick, it is a soft brick that can be fixed with a software restore. I love my rooted Nexus because it allows a ton of flexibility and I love the opportunity to use android-wifi-tether for free tethering with LTE. I wouldn't necessarily recommend any roms even though I have Android Revolution HD. It is pretty much stock but with a few performance enhancements. Just search online how to root. It is very simple, but the most annoying issue is that unlocking your bootloader wipes your phone. Good luck.

I think it is certainly good to get it done and out of the way early on, as it will require a wipe of all your apps during the root-bootloader unlock process. I went ahead and rooted and installed CWM recovery while retaining Stock 4.0.2. I also installed this Kernel: [KERNEL][4.0.2][ICL53F] ⇒☆Jame Bond☆ cpu/gpu overclock + UV v1.0.2 - xda-developers

With it, I was able to OC to 1.35GHz (not really necessary), but also drastically undervolt my phone and get much improved battery life. Standby drainage is really small (4-6% over 9 hours). Between the extra battery life, and being able to wirelessly tether for free, there seems little reason not to root :)

I'm stock rooted, but really the only reason I rooted is wifi tether and titanium backup. Those alone should be reason enough. I highly recommend rooting. As mentioned before rooting is no big deal. Easy. No fear of bricking, and on the slim chance of something going wrong it can be fixed just as easy.

Go forth and enjoy the dark side.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Though I like ROMs, I basically Rooted this badboy simply because I hate Ads in my apps, and I like to backup stuff, I can't stand them it just does something to me when a freakin ad pops up on my phone, I haven't had pop-up ads on my computer in so many years, I don't need them on my phone!!! But anyway :) Yes Root, but before you begin to install any ROM, read all the comments if there is one issue - Leave it alone. This is an Azz Kicken Phone without ROMs so why would you install a ROM that has a known issue. Root that *****, and install NovaLancher and you should be Happy. There are a lot of instructions out there on Rooting, some of them suggest you install the Android SDK <<<--- Which is a Pain in the Azz, but then there is This Way very simple and without installing that damn Android SDK, follow each step as laid out and within 10 - 20 min you will be Rooted...

I was unsure of root at first with my OG Droid, left it stock for 6 months. After I rooted I can't imagine owning another phone without root. It really is lifechanging :D

i REALLY want to root but that requires a factory reset and i have to go through all that junk to unlock the bootloader, root.. its a hassle... should I still do it? is there a 1-click root application available yet? and if i root, do i have to re-root after getting 4.0.3?

i REALLY want to root but that requires a factory reset and i have to go through all that junk to unlock the bootloader, root.. its a hassle... should I still do it? is there a 1-click root application available yet?

No 1 click solution that I'm aware of. Better to root sooner than later especially since unlocking the device does require a factory reset

No 1 click solution that I'm aware of. Better to root sooner than later especially since unlocking the device does require a factory reset

i'm already all cozy with my settings and all :( rats! i should have rooted i as soon as i got my hands on it!

if you take a look at the link in my previous post, I suggest reading it at least twice before you actually do anything and you will see that it is the easiest way to Root the GN as of yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

i'm already all cozy with my settings and all :( rats! i should have rooted i as soon as i got my hands on it!

Yeah I did the same but considering I didn't change much I was fine. Your choice though

For the record I rooted/unlocked using sbensons method that can be found in one of the sections of the nexus part of the forum. Was quick and easy.

Yeah I did the same but considering I didn't change much I was fine. Your choice though

I'll wait until 4.0.3 comes out so i don't have to go through the hassle twice.. thanks for the help! :)

I'll wait until 4.0.3 comes out so i don't have to go through the hassle twice.. thanks for the help! :)

Will an update to 4.0.3 require you to re-root?

Will an update to 4.0.3 require you to re-root?

Nope :) From what I understand updates only require re-root if the manufacturer is trying to prevent people from rooting their phones and since both Samsung and Google have no problem with rooting our roots should stick!

Back