So what is the advantage of WiFi vs. the Cell Network

LilDavy

Reaction score
Yeah Newb question, but this is my first Smart Phone and I'm learning. What are the advantages of enabling WiFi on the Droid? Is it to get the associated speeds with 802.11 wireless protocols? What else am I missing?

If wifi is available and its faster than 3g i use it, if the 3g is faster i use that

If wifi is available and its faster than 3g i use it, if the 3g is faster i use that

*nods*... I'm actually surprised with the amount of areas on VZW's network where I can pull better than 1.5... and I walk around the corner to a coffee shop and they're offering 768k...

Ok so my home network runs around 50MBps, so I should turn on WiFi then instead of using the cell network - same thing when I'm at work then too.

Does enabling WiFi extensively drain the battery faster?

Yeah Newb question, but this is my first Smart Phone and I'm learning. What are the advantages of enabling WiFi on the Droid? Is it to get the associated speeds with 802.11 wireless protocols? What else am I missing?

Usually through 3G you get close to basic DSL speeds (1.5 MBPS). Wifi is faster 99% of the time depending on the network speed and the type of service the router is working off of Cable, T1, DSL....ect.....

Could be a variety of things:
  • There is no (or poor) 3G coverage where you are but WiFi is available
  • You are uploading/downloading a large amount of data and want to take advantage of the higher speed of WiFi - it consumes more power per second but can often be enough faster that a large download (e.g. 6MB) will actually use less battery power over WiFi
  • You want to make/receive SIP/VoIP calls over WiFi (only a handful of services/apps to do this right now as far as I know)
  • You want to do file sharing via FTP or similar over a home network or between a laptop and your phone
  • etc......

That said, 3G is so good that I don't often find myself using WiFi. Kind of up to your own particular usage patterns but it's nice to have the choice!

So whenever I enable WiFi, all "communication" (internet, downloads, etc) will use it instead of using the 3G network?

So whenever I enable WiFi, all "communication" (internet, downloads, etc) will use it instead of using the 3G network?

I believe so, although I'm not sure if some apps are "smart" enough to select which radio to use based on connectivity needs and availability. As a general rule I think all data will go over WiFi if it's enabled and connected.

Also, check out this discussion for some additional info on battery life, etc.:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/22247-wi-fi-3g.html

All data communication, yes. Text messages and voice calls will still use Verizon's network.

Thanks guys for all the info - much appreciated.

this has got to be the most asked question on this forum.

to answer the question once more, wifi is faster 99% of the time.

this has got to be the most asked question on this forum.

to answer the question once more, wifi is faster 99% of the time.

Maybe the answer should be "stickied" then

Back