Stolen Droid

zengirl

Reaction score
Hi there - I had my HTC Droid Eris stolen last night. The phone was very new, so I had not downloaded any security apps yet. Is there anything I can do at this point?

I called Verizon and they shut down my service, but is there anything else I can do to locate the phone or at least recover (or delete) my personal data remotely? It seems that with the sophistication of these devices, there should be some options? Wishful thinking?

Thanks for any help!

Jackie

If you get a police report and submit it to vzon...they can try to track it by gps. That's about it. But if you canceled it already chances are it's a goner.

Things I wish I had known...

Thank you Erron! I wish I had known that beforehand. Your advice is much appreciated...

without insurance, VZ will give you the "lost or stolen" price, which is similar to the 2yr price... and if you give them a really sob story, they might even charge you less... worth looking into

AWWWWW zengirl i'm so sorry for your loss :( did you have insurance? if not...i agree with the "sob story" just wear a low cut shirt lol

either way...this might be a blessing in disguise....wait till the 29th and get the Incredible.

:welcome: to the forum...i'm just sorry it had to be this way :(

If you're out of upgrade range and don't have insurance a sob story CAN get you far. Be persistent but as polite as possible. We used to sell refurb phones destined as FRU (field replace units) for $50 to nice people that were in similar situations. (oh the low cut shirt theory does hold water... our manager was a perv and would give the store away to any female that walked in... lol)

Locate My Droid
For when you get a replacement. GL!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're out of upgrade range and don't have insurance a sob story CAN get you far. Be persistent but as polite as possible. We used to sell refurb phones destined as FRU (field replace units) for $50 to nice people that were in similar situations. (oh the low cut shirt theory does hold water... our manager was a perv and would give the store away to any female that walked in... lol)

Locate My Droid

Reading the reviews on this app and its really mixed, I wouldnt mind spending a few bucks on a solid app that tracks where your phone is. Better than nothing I suppose!

Yea there's a lot of free options that all say the other free options are bad. They are free though.

Either way good to get some locating app IMO.

Thank you for the advice! I just upgraded (so I'm out of range), and didn't buy the insurance. I will try the "polite and persistent" route.

Would you recommend going to a particular type of store for the best luck? For example, some are true Verizon dealers, others are authorized sellers, etc.?

Locate My Droid

Definitely go to a "real" VZW store. The "authorized dealers" don't have anything to gain by giving you a cheap (expensive) phone.

I like "Lookout Mobile Security". It lets you see your phones GPS location, uploads any pics taken with the phone every day at a time that you choose, and you can tell the phone to make a loud high pitch noise. Should be enough to find it.

Just an idea for your next phone. :)

Back