Tested and Confirmed! UPDATE TO 2.3.6 / 6.12.174 and KEEP ROOT! EZ Too!

You will need to follow the instructions to flash the Fastboot ROM which takes you back to stock .744, then root and protect, then OTA to .748 (2.3.5) and eventually back to .173 (2.3.6).

Instructions can be found here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416058).
Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Just posted a new thread regarding a new razr utility that will fastboot you back to stock 748. You no longer need to use rsd lie to go back to 744. This utility also can root your phone and install several apps, and other functions. It is a one stop shop for the razr.

Go to www.droidrzr.com and look in the development section.

Just posted a new thread regarding a new razr utility that will fastboot you back to stock 748. You no longer need to use rsd lie to go back to 744. This utility also can root your phone and install several apps, and other functions. It is a one stop shop for the razr.

You simply ...Rock!!!!:)

:cool:

You've been tapped by the Drummer...

Yikes, thankz for the 'Update!, lol

Can I just redo it back dn to 173?

This is no longer recommended as the .174 leaked update is now considered "not official" since three .173 version is now being pushed out as an OTA update.

As such, it has been removed from the site that first posted it. Other sites have mirrored it, so use at your own risk.

Can I just redo it back dn to 173?

Yes, I believe you can. The link to the downgrade may be there on the same site with the original leak.

This is mattlgroff (Admin at DroidRZR.com) and that is mine and arcanexvi's uploaded leak of 6.12.174. DO NOT FLASH THIS.
We have experienced a few users losing LTE connection, permanently and never being able to RSD, fastboot, upgrade, downgrade, ever again. I do NOT want this happening to anyone else, and that is why I removed all the links to 6.12.174 from DroidRZR.com. I know that is my uploaded 6.12.174 because I renamed it so I would know which of the 6.12.173.zip files it was, and its on the mydroidfiles FTP I upload to. In the same directory.

1) Dangerous
2) Not EVER going to be official. (If you find these leaks you'd know why)
3) Do NOT post leaks that have been barely tested from other forums and not even warn them it was barely tested.

If you want more information on when its OK to post these leaks just send me a PM (it'll email me) and I'd be happy to assist.
I am trying to watch out for your users, even if you didn't credit arcanexvi, droidrzr.com, or myself for this leak either, but happily link to my FTP link to use my bandwidth on a pulled link file.

Be careful folks.

Yes, I believe you can. The link to the downgrade may be there on the same site with the original leak.

No. No. No. 6.12.174 has no downgrade link and if you are on it and cannot RSD Lite or Fastboot you are stuck.

Thank you for linking the site. I did actually post it here before the XDA article and got one reply with "First." Then it was reposted here directly from the XDA post like my topic never excisted lmao.

Glad a lot of you have sense to check original site (DroidRZR.com) to make sure it was removed before attempting to flash a repost of it.

Thank you for linking the site. I did actually post it here before the XDA article and got one reply with "First." Then it was reposted here directly from the XDA post like my topic never excisted lmao.

Glad a lot of you have sense to check original site (DroidRZR.com) to make sure it was removed before attempting to flash a repost of it.

Yeah, I check this forum as well as droidrzr regularly and never saw your original post regarding the utility here. It somehow got tucked away. Either way when I find something worth sharing like the work you and others do at droidrzr I always just point them to that site so they know who to thank and credit goes to the right person.

Although I am curious why you say that 174 will never be official. I was on leaked 173 then 174 but decided to rsd back to 744 then ota all the way back to official 173 with no issues. When I was running 174 everything was perfect..... no lte issues.

Also, every ota is pushed about 1 month after the build date. When 173 was leaked in early January, I posted that the official ota would be pushed around first week of February.... and low and behold I was dead on. So now, it only makes sense that 174 will also get a push a month after the build date.

Like I said, I am just curious why you would be so sure this will not be an official update later. Unless someone has some inside source at Motorola, nobody can be sure one way or the other.

Last edited:
Yeah, I check this forum as well as droidrzr regularly and never saw your original post regarding the utility here. It somehow got tucked away. Either way when I find something worth sharing like the work you and others do at droidrzr I always just point them to that site so they know who to thank and credit goes to the right person.

Although I am curious why you say that 174 will never be official. I was on leaked 173 then 174 but decided to rsd back to 744 then ota all the way back to official 173 with no issues. When I was running 174 everything was perfect..... no lte issues.

Also, every ota is pushed about 1 month after the build date. When 173 was leaked in early January, I posted that the official ota would be pushed around first week of February.... and low and behold I was dead on. So now, it only makes sense that 174 will also get a push a month after the build date.

Like I said, I am just curious why you would be so sure this will not be an official update later. Unless someone has some inside source at Motorola, nobody can be sure one way or the other.

Well, 174 was scrapped from the Motorola servers and 175 was put in its place. 173-175. Fixed a major issue in 174 apparently so they dropped 174 in favor of 175 upgrade from 173. If you have google talk add me and I can discuss in more detail. We are not releasing 175 publicly unless there is a reason too. its only 17ish MB and doesn't break root from 173.

Gtalk is my name @gmail.com

Well, 174 was scrapped from the Motorola servers and 175 was put in its place. 173-175. Fixed a major issue in 174 apparently so they dropped 174 in favor of 175 upgrade from 173. If you have google talk add me and I can discuss in more detail. We are not releasing 175 publicly unless there is a reason too. its only 17ish MB and doesn't break root from 173.

Gtalk is my name @gmail.com

That explains it. I had not heard anything about 175 and that makes all the difference. Thanks for clearing it up.

I edited this post to remove the 174 which was pulled.
READ COMPLETELY BEFORE ATTEMPTING!

Basically, you need to update to 2.3.6 / 6.12.173

The webpage below has step by step EZ instructions.

DROID RAZR Android 2.3.6 update (6.12.173) leaks, Install without root | TalkAndroid.com

Simply do steps as described.

When your phone comes back up, goto voodoo app and restore root!

I did this tonight and it worked flawlessly on my rooted Razr Maxx 2.3.5 / 6.11.748!
I also had erased golf, madden and blockbuster but it worked anyways!
No it did not reinstall them either.

If you went to 174 and want to go back without a problem,
the instructions are here:
Droid Razr Utility [Windows] - DroidRzr.com

I used that to go back to 748, and I didn't loose anything except root.
re-rooted, then re-did the 173 update as stated above and bada bing.

Sorry if this caused any problems.

Ran the proceedure. Rooted, Voodoo protected su, installed safestrap, backed up my current system.
Disabled safestrap, installed the update without any problems.
Attempting to restore SU has failed, however. Voodoo says it has been granted superuser permissions, says restored su, but checkboxes stayed grey.
I am working with a Razr Maxx.
Will try reverting back to 748 and going through the process again.

Ran the proceedure. Rooted, Voodoo protected su, installed safestrap, backed up my current system.
Disabled safestrap, installed the update without any problems.
Attempting to restore SU has failed, however. Voodoo says it has been granted superuser permissions, says restored su, but checkboxes stayed grey.
I am working with a Razr Maxx.
Will try reverting back to 748 and going through the process again.

Just to be clear. After you click protect root, you have to touch the temp unroot button, then update. At least that is what I always do and it works every time.

so I have safe strap installed but currently disabled once im there what do I do? Yes i'm new

This worked great for my phone I got yesterday.dancedroid I rooted it using this method and then used Voodoo to temp un-root and then downloaded the verizon update and then used voodoo to reroot and it works great. This is my first time rooting a phone and now I am wondering why I never rooted any of my other phones. :D

Back