Tether Turns One Year Old!

Our lead engineer on this project has seen speeds up to 6.8 Mbps. That's almost 3x faster
It's also almost 3x faster than what is possible.

Verizon uses TIA-856 (EVDO) Rev. A, which tops out at 3072 kbps. And, that's theoretical, real world speeds will be lower.

Sounds like you were USB tethered to a Droid which was connected to WiFi.

So has anyone that has got this working done any speed test? I will not be able to try it until later... curiosity has got the best of me.

Our lead engineer on this project has seen speeds up to 6.8 Mbps. That's almost 3x faster
It's also almost 3x faster than what is possible.

Verizon uses TIA-856 (EVDO) Rev. A, which tops out at 3072 kbps. And, that's theoretical, real world speeds will be lower.

Sounds like you were USB tethered to a Droid which was connected to WiFi.

sorry thats a direct wuote from thier email. I have not trried it. I should have put quotes in my post. I'll adjust for that. Thanks

Had TB on my BB and loved it, now trying Tether on my Droid.
So, I am not having any problems installing/connecting/etc but I'm not actually able to get on the internet.
I also got some Socket Errors, like "could not create the TCP socket: java.net." and another that I can't remember.
Also, when I try to open Google Chrome on my laptop it says at the bottom "Resolving" something instead of "loading" or whatever.
Any ideas? I've followed all the tips on this thread so far.
I remember when I had it on my BB Storm I could tell if I had a "good" (aka working) connection if when I started up TB it would zoom through the number of packets sent/received- if it went kind of slow I knew that I wouldn't be able to connect.
One time out of about 6 the Droid has "zoomed" through packets, but it still couldn't open a web page.

Does anyone glance at these articles before they're posted, or is it a stream of consciousness type approach?
Well, if you came [from] the BB world to Android, [y]ou may know this program. Tether has turned one year old today and with that, has released [its] first Android beta. With the speeds being reported here, I am sure you guys will want to take a look at this one for yourself!

Here're the official notes I rec[ei]ved about 10 minutes ago.

I tried it, got connected to the internet briefly, loaded a web page then got the TCP socket errors and lost the internet connection. Tried a few times to get it going again, a few times got a popup saying could not connect to network adapter, and twice got a blue screen System_Service_Exception and my laptop crashed....not a good start for me. Maybe it doesn't like Vista 64.

But it did connect briefly....

Does anyone glance at these articles before they're posted, or is it a stream of consciousness type approach?
Well, if you came [from] the BB world to Android, [y]ou may know this program. Tether has turned one year old today and with that, has released [its] first Android beta. With the speeds being reported here, I am sure you guys will want to take a look at this one for yourself!

Here're the official notes I rec[ei]ved about 10 minutes ago.
It's possible there are some openings on the News Team on D.F. With your grasp of the English language, you could be a valuable member to the Team.

This versus PDANet

I was wondering if someone can tell me how this is better than PDANet? It's been around a long time and it's free. Is there something I'm missing? Does "Tether" offer something that PDANet does not?

I was wondering if someone can tell me how this is better than PDANet? It's been around a long time and it's free. Is there something I'm missing? Does "Tether" offer something that PDANet does not?

I have used both and PDANet to me is a lot quicker.

Plus it seems like everyone is having issues installing "tether". PDANet was extremely easy and just worked the first time and Ive been using it for months with no issues. I would have no problems switching to something else if it was better, I was just trying to figure out what the hype is about.

tether works well

PDAnet is faster? How much? I find it very hard to believe it is much faster...

I haven't personally tried PDAnet because I have no reason to pay $30 when Tether is free and has been working great and http tested out at 1.2 Mbps. I was shocked at that speed and have been watching Netflix streaming on my netbook via my Moto Droid and Tether.

I suggest trying Tether first. The instructions at the top of the thread foolishly forget to tell you to install the Tether program on your handset by plugging it in, mounting your SDcard, and using the shortcut in the Tether folder of your start menu > all programs.

Back