Tethering on droid x?

No, but PDA and the other tether apps are totally not loading on my laptop now. I had no issues when I loaded them with my Incredible, odd.

You may need to load the new Moto USB drivers on your laptop. See post #5

No, but PDA and the other tether apps are totally not loading on my laptop now. I had no issues when I loaded them with my Incredible, odd.

You may need to load the new Moto USB drivers on your laptop. See post #5

I couldn't find Moto USB drivers for Mac OS. Am I out of luck on using PDAnet or EasyTether?

I couldn't find Moto USB drivers for Mac OS. Am I out of luck on using PDAnet or EasyTether?

As far as I know, you're out of luck. EasyTether does support Ubuntu, tho.

Thanks. The link you provided indicates Mac OS is "coming soon". (I had no problems with PdaNet and the Incredible, but I returned it due to poor earpiece speaker quality - garbled incoming voice.)

So far the Droid X 3G Mobile Hotspot seems to be performing poorly, so I guess I'll just wait it out, until those drivers are available.

As far as I know, you're out of luck. EasyTether does support Ubuntu, tho.

Thanks. The link you provided indicates Mac OS is "coming soon". (I had no problems with PdaNet and the Incredible, but I returned it due to poor earpiece speaker quality - garbled incoming voice.)

So far the Droid X 3G Mobile Hotspot seems to be performing poorly, so I guess I'll just wait it out, until those drivers are available.

Yes it took me only a few minutes to marry up my DIC and my latop. I've been at it for hours with this X and my same laptop, they just don't want to hook up, it seems, lol.

i've been trying since yesterday to get PDA to work, i installed easytether an hour ago and it was up and running in a few minutes (the time it took to download and install) and is comparable to my questionable comcast speed.

think i know which one i'll be sticking with!

i've been trying since yesterday to get PDA to work, i installed easytether an hour ago and it was up and running in a few minutes (the time it took to download and install) and is comparable to my questionable comcast speed.

I'm getting ready to go for a quick bike ride but will give easytether a shot....can you give a quck tutorial on how you did it...? I am getting a headache from the PDA deal.

Thanks.

I'm getting ready to go for a quick bike ride but will give easytether a shot....can you give a quck tutorial on how you did it...? I am getting a headache from the PDA deal.

Thanks.

Get ET from the market, and after it installs open it up and it really guides you right through. After the hassel with pda this was a breeze.

Hope this was helpful, happy tethering.

Thanks.

Get ET from the market, and after it installs open it up and it really guides you right through. After the hassel with pda this was a breeze.

Hope this was helpful, happy tethering.

Like I said, ET was easier to use, and ... cheap! (Relatively speaking)

I bought EasyTether like it a lot. I also bought PDA Net, and definitely prefer EasyTether over PDA Net - and, hey - it's a LOT cheaper! ET was a little faster, and more "auotmatic" when plugging in the phone for tethering.

That said, all of this may be moot in the next month or two. Once Froyo is available on the DX, you probably won't need either of these apps.

Unless using ET is "invisible" to Verizon vs. the Froyo tethering functionality, you probably won't want to be tethering, anyways. Verizon will probably become very aggressive against "free tethering".

My thoughts,

AzJazz

You betya bro, i have been using USBModem to tether on my Palm 755p (still manufactured in Taiwan $80 on ebay, on my 6th now, for die-hard Palm afficionados) until 2 months ago, when misteriously the Verizon cough-up-the-dough screen showed up, so they found a workaround.

Once rooted and de-eFuse'd the DroidX in the hands of the wise men shall tether, as long as there is a browser function on the phone.

Last edited:
I bought EasyTether like it a lot. I also bought PDA Net, and definitely prefer EasyTether over PDA Net - and, hey - it's a LOT cheaper! ET was a little faster, and more "auotmatic" when plugging in the phone for tethering.

That said, all of this may be moot in the next month or two. Once Froyo is available on the DX, you probably won't need either of these apps.

Unless using ET is "invisible" to Verizon vs. the Froyo tethering functionality, you probably won't want to be tethering, anyways. Verizon will probably become very aggressive against "free tethering".

My thoughts,

AzJazz

You betya bro, i have been using USBModem to tether on my Palm 755p (still manufactured in Taiwan $80 on ebay, on my 6th now, for die-hard Palm afficionados) until 2 months ago, when misteriously the Verizon cough-up-the-dough screen showed up, so they found a workaround.

Once rooted and de-eFuse'd the DroidX in the hands of the wise men shall tether, as long as there is a browser function on the phone.

Yeah, I think all the breathless promotion of the 3G mobile hotspot by VZ was really a way to work around the free tethering apps. One early video I saw posted on the DX noticed that there was no option for "USB Tether" at all, and I got suspicious. Wouldn't be so bad, if the hotspot actually worked.

The only perk I have found on PDAnet is that it you can respond to SMS through your comp as well while its tethered. Personally I like that option, I have still yet to try ET, but I'll wait till PDAnets trial expires

I just installed pdanet and it works fine....so far. This is my first droid. I have been on a blackberry for almost 4 years until Tuesday when I bought the Droid X. I've used the mobile hotspot, but it only allows 2 gigs of downloads. Is there any way around that?

I posted this in another thread and here also because I know that not everyone will get the info before the sale is over...just helping out.

If you guys are still looking for a way on how to TETHER for FREE (at no additional monthly charges), there is a legit and official tethering app called 'TETHER' that's for both Blackberry and Android. I had it for my BB Storm and it was WONDERFUL! You can connect by USB or BT. It is unlimited also! But hurry up because it's at its lowest price right now: 19.99! I think it's one more day remaining.

An app doesn't get to decide if their app get's unlimited tethering or not, but rather the carrier does.

Also, why pay $20 when there are alternatives for free like pdanet or wireless tether for root users. Just doesn't make sense if you ask me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back