Tethering?

recDNA

Reaction score
I know there is an app out there that enables tethering to a computer. Verizon must know the app exists and could easily check who downloads it. Has anyone ever directly asked verizon if it is ok to use the app to tether? I'm nervous about the possibility of tethering only to receive a huge unexpected bill in the mail from verizon.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

why would you use pda net, when you can root and use wireless tether anyway.

and i'm sure someone has been dumb enough to ask but i'm not dumb enough to care what they were told.

The market is run by Google... I highly doubt that Google would divulge that sort of information with Verizon. If that was the case, Verizon could check any number of apps that have to have root, thus voiding your warranty.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I know there is an app out there that enables tethering to a computer. Verizon must know the app exists and could easily check who downloads it. Has anyone ever directly asked verizon if it is ok to use the app to tether? I'm nervous about the possibility of tethering only to receive a huge unexpected bill in the mail from verizon.

Officially it is not okay with Verizon if you tether your phone (unless you pay their extra tethering fee). However, as far as we know Verizon is not worrying about people who tether. That may change if they get a lot of new iPhone users and their network suffers, but for now you should be okay.

Ahhhhh? Really? Unless homeland security wants to know or if the CIA is outside your house, ya should be fine. Verizon will never have the right to investigate where your data goes or how it got there.

DX Liberty 1.5 ftw!

why would you use pda net, when you can root and use wireless tether anyway.

and i'm sure someone has been dumb enough to ask but i'm not dumb enough to care what they were told.

Because there are people out there that don't want to root.

Ahhhhh? Really? Unless homeland security wants to know or if the CIA is outside your house, ya should be fine. Verizon will never have the right to investigate where your data goes or how it got there.

DX Liberty 1.5 ftw!

Verizon can definitely investigate the data usage of someone, If they think it's being used illegally. Though i have only ever known of 1 case where they did anything about it though. But they do have the right to check into it.

Last edited:

DX Liberty 1.5 ftw!

Verizon can definitely investigate the data usage of someone, If they think it's being used illegally. Though i have only ever known of 1 case where they did anything about it though. But they do have the right to check into it.

They can look all they want, but Google would
have to give them access to your download history. Which I doubt would happen without a court order.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

here we go again...

noone has ever been cancelled or billed for tethering.

I wireless tether at home
I wired tether in the vehicle while travelling (since I'm charging while tethering) or when I'm in a hotel

I would really love to tether but without some kind of ok from verizon I'm afraid they might strike without warning as the music industry did when they sued all those college kids for downloading music for free.

I used to tether using PDAnet on my Droid Eris back when I had Verizon, and they never said anything to me. Pretty sure they have bigger issues to deal with X.X

I used to tether using PDAnet on my Droid Eris back when I had Verizon, and they never said anything to me. Pretty sure they have bigger issues to deal with X.X
Why did you stop tethering?
What is x.x?

I've read elsewhere that verizon cannot do anything about you using pdanet unless they notice your spike in data usage.if they see you using more than about 8 gigs of data then they coils realize what your doing.but other than that verizon isn't going to do anything about it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Meant to say could not coils.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

You really think they cant tell what you're doing?

Why would a phone be pulling hundreds of MB from Netflix or Windows update servers? Pretty simple actually....

Sent from my DROIDX

Back